Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Members Only > SFT Information

SFT Search:   

Old 07-26-2007, 05:03 PM

Unhappy

I just checked out jakes link but you have to use a credit card number so will have to get mom or dad to help later
Old 07-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Elite Member

What's the reason for having 2 websites?

I think it's a tad excessive to put, Jake's my cousin everywhere he is referenced.

Spacing, allignment, etc. are all little details that make an overall impact.

An extremely long email address, such as jonesweldingandhorseshoeart is a tad long, and difficult to type in correctly. joneswelding@whatever whould be more effective.

Maybe call it Jones Welding, and not the whole horse shoe thing. People would rather buy horse shoe art from a regular shop, than have repairs welded by a horse shoe artist. Nothing wrong with being an artist, but need to maintain a broad range for the future, and a name would limit you.

Not trying to bash you, but just some things that I noticed/thought.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:23 PM
SFT Historian

The comment I added on the picture is a hint to people.
Because of your age you need too tell others your willing to weld things that other welders may not.
It also tells others you may give them a reasonable price.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Chief Twidget & Keeper of the 'trons!

Send a message via ICQ to markttu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Because of your age you need too tell others your willing to weld things that other welders may not.
Very nice addition!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Member Emeritus June 1965 - August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by markttu View Post
On your business site make no mention of what you're saving up to purchase, its unprofessional and basically screams to prospective clients that "some day I plan to be a professional"... if you're running a business then you are a professional, don't plan on becoming one, be one.
This is superb advice. I would go a step further and say if you are really serious, you should also drop the "redneck" from your advertising plan. If you advertise to only one segment of your potential client base, you will be severely limiting your customers.

I would also echo the "less is better" sentiment related to your cards. I suppose it is a personal taste thing but I prefer a more simple approach to advertising and it has worked for me as I consider myself a successful welding business owner. The pic is of my truck lettering and is identical to the the cards I give out.

KB

Last edited by KB Fabrications; 07-26-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 PM

Wireburner, take all this constructive criticism very seriously. In a little over 24 hours of asking for help, you have been given advice from people with years in this trade. There is no way to put a price on that. In response to your site with the link to blogs, separate your personal life from your business life. Prospective clients don't care if you hunt, fish, drive your lawn mower through the mud or like to wave a flag. They are only interested in quality work at a reasonable price and delivered with a professional attitude.

Now this little story may or may not apply but it says alot about the way your business is percieved by clients: a friend of mine has been operating a fairly successful lawn care business for a couple of years. He wanted to get into commercial lawn maintenance but could not get his foot in the door, seems the big property companies did not want to take him seriously, although he is a very professional guy with a great work ethic. He was operating as "Johns Lawn Care". In January he changed the company name to "Groundscapes of Virginia" and added a professional website and now he can't keep the phone off his ear. He has doubled in size in 7 months and the future looks even better.

I hope the future for you is fulfilling and if this is what you want to do, do it with the professionalism that has been suggested from the members here- they have been there and done that.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Lord of the Minions

The tweens can have it. I'll move on now.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Thank you all I will change it . Like that one.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:51 PM

I went back and fixed the stuff here is the card I`am going to use.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Chief Twidget & Keeper of the 'trons!

Send a message via ICQ to markttu

Much improved, but I'd still say your logo needs to be a bit smaller so the card can be a bit less cluttered.