Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Members Only > SFT Information

SFT Search:   

Old 07-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Curmudgeon

Now Chris, by posting the shot of your card design in Engloid's old thread you caused Midmo to post to it rather than to your thread. This is messy and unnecessary so I moved his reply (and your's) back into your thread.
You'll do better to stay focused on one thread per subject within the same time frame,

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 07-25-2007, 10:44 PM

Super Sorry!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Curmudgeon

lol
Off to a good start, huh?
Slow down, things will come to you better.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 07-25-2007, 11:38 PM

Thanks Cutter!
Old 07-26-2007, 12:14 AM
SFT Historian

Your card needs to tell people what type of welding jobs your willing to do.
Are you just welding art objects ?
What type of things do you want to weld for people ?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:16 AM
Lord of the Minions

FWIW, different people see different things when looking at the same card.

If the recipient is not in a short term need for your services, most likely your card will be placed in the "file 13" drawer or at best thrown into a pile of other cards.

Very few customers will take the time to add it to their card Rolodex unless they have a reason to do so.

No matter what your final decision is on your card, by all means, have it printed by a professional printing company and don't scrimp on it's quality. Using the home printer and paper shouldn't even be considered except for looking at first drafts before the final decision.

If it's well done and you made a first good impression when you handed it to them, they will probably have a better reason to reach for the phone and call you and not "Billy Joe Bob" with the chaw of tobacco and the awesome mullet.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 07-26-2007 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:12 AM
Lord of the Minions

Default edit:re-reading this makes me sound like a mid-aged prick

I split this up for a reason so as not to confuse it with your wants for a business card.

Hopefully this won't come across as my being a total prick and will be viewed in the helpful sense it is offered. I'm doing this and taking the time to do so because of your asking and telling me you want to be a business owner operator. Life is hard, business can be brutal and constructive criticism can be hard or impossible to accept.

Looking at your site, with the links provided, tells me several things I really don't want to deal with from a customers point of view. It's glaringly obvious that your real young and possibly naive in some respects.(please take no offense, you asked)

Looking at the site made me think I was looking at someones personal information page found on a teens "My Space" account.

I would not be impressed with the use of slang words like "my thang" or "this site is new I ain't done".

If your wanting to impress your chums or friends, fine, if your really serious about starting a business dump that garbage and pull out a dictionary and do more research on starting a business, business plans etc.

Saying "welding is your life" might have an impact on me if I see your 30 or older, but with the other items pointed out above, I doubt I'd give you a chance to prove any of it.

It would probably be to your advantage to refer to your cousin by name and as a partner rather than just by cousin.

The biggest blunder I see on the site,(in my eyes) which BTW I could give an Ats Rass of it's meanings, connotations or intent, is the use of the Rebel flag. (notice that I did capitalize due to my ancestors having carried it, although for naught, I'm over it and see no reason to continue the fight) I'm sure that a fellow good ole boy in need of a welder's services would not take issue, but not all customers are good ole boys.

The overall look of the website was not bad at all. All items of importance were well separated, the page wasn't found to be too busy, leading to any confusion on finding or navigating the site. Having the pictures of items you've done etc is very important and well placed for the viewing.

While red is not my color, it does stand out and catches the eye. The Jones Welding is not bad, does stand out, doesn't look to busy or too distracting. Would make a "killer"(see, I tried) truck door sticker. Don't forget that cards can be bi-fold with info on the inside as well.

Those of us that are obviously older, do at times tend to use some words that we shouldn't in an attempt to sound cool/younger or comical, but we still come across as being old, opinionated and less than patient. You'd think I'd know better after having to put up with(respecting) my elders during my first 40 years.

Good luck in your endeavors and hopefully one more successful business will be in the black and soon.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 07-26-2007 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Director of Product Reviews

I've built web pages for both my own business as well as the department at my day job. The site built for the department required following a set of rules and regulations to create a similar navigation and familiarity to the customer viewing the page. The ease of navigation and ability to find needed information quickly makes for often re-visited site.
I designed my own site using this same thought process viewed other web sites that dealt with the same type business as my own. I didn't copy their site I just used the same ideas that I felt made theirs more enjoyable to view. Your specific business audience should be considered with your chosen site material but keep in mind that you must make it appealing to everyone that might need your services at the same time.

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:35 AM

Very Sorry I see what you mean I `ll go and fix ever thing.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:12 AM

lwhiway, I went back and changed every thing hope you like it now.