Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 02-11-2019, 12:42 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
It may be easier to bring in a couple loads of coarse rock to make a temporary entrance. Put some of that heavy landscape fabric down, dump the rock on it and clean it back up when done.

They do it all the time for utility/bucket trucks in the east.

Coarse crusher rock works best as the edges lock together.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Mark, I had a chat with my friend Tim about it. I want to have a maple, a spruce and a carragana bush evicted. They will be in the way. Tim has worked with lots of movers, and he says my house driveway will work fine but we will need to dump a few loads of clay in the ditch as you suggested, and once the movers are gone, We can dig it out and stockpile it for land contouring. We kicked around cost and benefits of a basement as he would be doing the excavation work. As he is familiar with the site and what we need, he advised against it. So it's down to screw piles. I've done a 360 on my opinion since 2009. Wish I had a better installer then.

He also had a good idea on the site leveling. I have an 18" slope over the 74 ft distance, and I planned to put clay in after pilings are installed. His concern is the frozen material will not pack well and the frost coming out from below will make a mess of it. He suggested just get gravel and fill the slope with that. It has to have gravel anyways for the crawl space, so this will do it well.
We agreed to have his hoe here during the move so if needed they can drop the mobile and he can take it into site with the hoe, as it has superior maneuverability. That will make it a foolproof operation.
Monday the development application goes in, and the countdown starts.
Hopefully some pictures soon.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 02-11-2019, 12:52 AM
I can dig it

Put fabric or geotextile down before the gravel is spread, it will separate the gravel from the material underneath. That way it will allow the frost and moisture to come out. The gravel will be more of a ‘mat’ this way and spread any point loads that you end up on the gravel.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Put fabric or geotextile down before the gravel is spread, it will separate the gravel from the material underneath. That way it will allow the frost and moisture to come out. The gravel will be more of a ‘mat’ this way and spread any point loads that you end up on the gravel.

Yes. In this country if you don't use geotex it will slowly disappear into the clay.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 02-11-2019, 10:32 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Yes. In this country if you don't use geotex it will slowly disappear into the clay.

I suspected it was clay, apparently you’re familiar with the textiles.

It’s amazing what the stuff will do, especially in wet conditions, or with clay.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Director of Languages

Quote:
It’s amazing what the stuff will do, especially in wet conditions, or with clay.
I went to college in a young university, only opened in the 1970s, so in my time there was a lot of building going on. The place was a swamp, you'd never take a shortcut through the wooded areas around it unless you wanted to get very mucky.

each year I was there saw a new major building go up and every one the same. dig a big hole to get the worst of the peat off the top, lay down a sheet of terram, cover it with 2 foot of stone and drive piles through it. 5 story concrete buildings standing on sh*te, it really is magical stuff
Old 02-11-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
get the worst of the peat off the top, lay down a sheet of terram,
Almost 1/2 the buildings in the Northwest Territories are on piles and I wish it was that simple up there. I have actually seen where at one end, the trailer is on solid rock, and all they needed was short piles grouted into 3 ft holes, and by the time they were at the other end of the trailer they had drilled down over 100ft through peat and permafrost peat before contacting rock. The way they did it was to drive the pilings down with a diesel hammer, and then when they contacted rock they would drop a drill string down with a bit just a slip fit into the pipe, and then move an airtrack onto it. The drilling out the crap in the piling and air flushing took time, and finally when they get to the rock at the bottom, they would drill down 5-10 ft and then drive the piling to bottom, and pour expanding grout into the pile.

All house and trailer skirting up there is painted 3/8 plywood ending about 3 inches before the rock or dirt, because of the frost movement of the ground. Sometimes a 3 inch gap is not enough.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Auction Addict

What brand of ICF are you going to use?

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Old 02-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
What brand of ICF are you going to use?
When we were considering a basement, we were going to use Nudura, because they have a local supplier that runs training classes, and has approved contractors, and ICF is the only thing they sell, it is not a sideline.

But our criteria of building for our future aging means we do not want stairs. And that is kind of how we wandered into thinking about a larger home, because we want to have one floor, and room for a live in caretaker, and wheelchair or walker friendly space.
In the earlier ideas we had, using a 16 wide unit, we would have put in a suite in the basement for a caretaker. It would have in total, a higher cost, and would be little benefit as a caretaker has to be close to the patient in case of falls, to assist dressing, etc. not down in the basement watching TV.

This shit is not comfortable to think of, but we are all going down this road. So we are planning to be pro-active on this, as we usually do.

At this point, a basement is out of the picture. We have enough room with this unit at 1520 sq ft to be comfortable, and meet our needs and specs on one floor. So it will sit on screw piling.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:36 PM
I can dig it

I hope the move goes smoothly!

Old 02-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Auction Addict

Have you got a delivery date?

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783