Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 08-24-2004, 05:59 AM
Curmudgeon

Default New Shop Building

It's a funny thing how life can suddenly shift gears and accelerate. Last Thursday I made my appearance before the zoning board to request a variance in the setback requirements for my shop building, expecting to be stuck there most of the day. In less than an hour I left with a verbal "ok" on the deal & went back to work. Saturday I got the letter with official approval in the mail. I spent Saturday & Sunday afternoon making phone calls mainly hoping to get a favorable referral to a concrete contractor that I could maybe line up to pour my slab sometime in the near future, expecting this process to take a few days. As it happened my old friend Harold had stumbled across a man who poured a drive & several smaller pieces for him a month or so ago & he had high praise for him. I left a message on the guy's machine Sunday afternoon & he was here at 4pm.
The result is that Pete & crew start this afternoon. I spent Monday afternoon getting the permit & picking up the bolt pattern from the building supplier 15 miles away, along with the anchor bolts and I managed to scrounge enough chain link fence & t-posts to build a temporary dog run for Dottie & Jake. Somehow, all of this was more exhausting than work. Maybe it was the sticker shock.
If you built your building last year, congratulate yourself. If you haven't priced a building this year, take a deep breath. Steel prices are up; perhaps you've heard about that. This is a standard kit building from Mueller, 24 feet wide, 30 feet long, 10 foot side walls. The basic package engineered for 120 mph wind load, 20lbs per sqft snow load: $5795. Add insulation, 2 walk doors and some extra material for re-working the overhead door opening, colored roof, add deadbolts to the doors, plus tax & free delivery to my slab: $8235.18. The slab is costing about $2400, then there will be the 24 ft x 12 ft wide drive to the side street for another $1400.
But I do have some good news: I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance yesterday by switching to monthly drafts.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 08-24-2004, 07:03 AM
Wyoming

Cutter, Congratulations! A word of advice...make sure there is a grade change between the shop floor and the drive outside or you'll be having rain water to clean up after every storm. Throw in a ceiling so you can add insulation up there as well...makes the shop much more liveable in both the summer and winter. Last bit of advice...if you use vises, anvils and such, sink as many female end sections of drill casing to grade in the floor and it will be a snap moving vises, anvils and such mounted on male sections of drill casing around as needed. Good luck on the build and hope to hear you get a lot of use from the shop.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:25 AM
Blankee Master

Very good Cutter, I hope to see lots of pics during construction. What about drains in the shop floor ??????
Old 08-24-2004, 10:18 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming
Last bit of advice...if you use vises, anvils and such, sink as many female end sections of drill casing to grade in the floor
!!!! I don't know if we have a drill casing store anymore, WY. Can you overnight me a couple of couplings?

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Old 08-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Banned

Cutter, I been noticing even the ads on Paul Harvey for steel buildings ain't playin any more, and when I swung by the supplier a couple weeks back to get some steel for the awning I built over my garage wood pile, I got a bit concerned when the one kid came runnin with the oxygen bottle.
3 foot coverage steel is 2 bucks a foot minimum, with delivery of 2 to 6 weeks depending on color.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Curmudgeon

Well the hell of it is, I don't see any reason to expect the price to go down any time soon unless the whole economy collapses under the weight of the oil prices & then it wouldn't make any difference anyway. Even though my timing is a year or two late, every month I put this off costs me another $300 in rent for that danged old barn. I've already paid for several of these little shops in the last 11 years & I'm sick of it. That $3600 a year will recoup the cost of this project pretty quickly.

Just Keep Walking

Old 08-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

Cutter
The slab $$ is awful cheap. Are you buying the materials?

Also, ditto Wyoming's comment on the grade drop at the doors. It doesn't take much, 3/4" will do nicely. That is a favorite place for concrete dudes to cut the corners on. They are a pain to finish, that's why. The drop will make a major difference though. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, but if not, let me know and I'll shoot you a pic and details. Since I am in the crete business, I hate it when people don't do it right. I mean, that's what you're paying for isn't it???

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 08-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Curmudgeon

Talking This is for Arcdawg

Get a grip now, Brian. Find a workboot or something to bite down on.
The build team so far includes Pete Chevez (concrete), John Hernandez (little bit of plumbing) and Pablo Gomez (building erector).
I did not choose them because they are illegals; they aren't. I chose them because of their work & reputations. In this part of the country, Hispanics have carved themselves a solid place in the building and other skilled trades and I am nearly always pleased to do business with them. However, I have learned to not try to work alongside them in any competitive way; they'll generally work you to death.

Just Keep Walking

Old 08-24-2004, 11:23 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter
Get a grip now, Brian. Find a workboot or something to bite down on.
The build team so far includes Pete Chevez (concrete), John Hernandez (little bit of plumbing) and Pablo Gomez (building erector).
I did not choose them because they are illegals; they aren't. I chose them because of their work & reputations. In this part of the country, Hispanics have carved themselves a solid place in the building and other skilled trades and I am nearly always pleased to do business with them. However, I have learned to not try to work alongside them in any competitive way; they'll generally work you to death.
He'd die here. The population is 65% hispanic. In the concrete business, I can only think of maybe a few dozen white guys in the whole city. ( pop 1.2 million)

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 08-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDA52
Cutter
The slab $$ is awful cheap. Are you buying the materials?

Also, ditto Wyoming's comment on the grade drop at the doors. It doesn't take much, 3/4" will do nicely. That is a favorite place for concrete dudes to cut the corners on. They are a pain to finish, that's why. The drop will make a major difference though. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, but if not, let me know and I'll shoot you a pic and details. Since I am in the crete business, I hate it when people don't do it right. I mean, that's what you're paying for isn't it???
Yep, and thank you Don. Pete has already discussed the lip, called it a rabbet & it took me a while to catch on. I have already lived in one house that didn't have that litle detail - real PIA. I thought the price sounded pretty cheap, too but that's turn key. I was kinda hoping some one would comment.
Hmmm, I better get my butt outside & start getting ready for these guys to show up. He'll be ragging me for being just another lazy white boy. Which is pretty much the truth these days.

Just Keep Walking