Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 07-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder
I picked up a set of six Starrett mikes off ePay in wooden boxes, with standards. 5"-12", six mikes (not the ones with the replaceable anvils) for just over $200. They were all in great shape. I would look at ePay first and see what's out there.

I would stick with Starrett, B&S and Mitutoyo in that order. I know Mit's is Japanese but they are good and 1/2 the price of Starrett new.

Stay away from the chink tools you will never be able to trust them. I had one and it ended up in the scrap bin, I would even have given it away.
Bad News Ron, Starrett now makes a lot of product in China. Check the new catalog, they even admit Chinese product.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Wyoming

Shade, I agree with you on the eBay purchases. I've filled two and a half Gerstners with Brown & Sharpe, Starrett and a piece or two of Mitotoyo for less than the same clones made in China go for. By and large, the used machinist tools are in excellent condition. Be a bit leery of dial indicators as the jeweled movements can and do take a bashing. I went with the Polish mics only because I knew their quality was somewhere around that of used American manufacture and I didn't want to take the time to piece together a 0-6" set...plus, as I said, I like friction thimbles.

BTW, buying used takes care of the Chinese Starrett tools.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to teufel Send a message via MSN to teufel

Just out of curiosity I was bidding on this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEDW%3AIT&rd=1 and didn't win. Was the winning bid high or low?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by teufel
Just out of curiosity I was bidding on this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEDW%3AIT&rd=1 and didn't win. Was the winning bid high or low?
Probably about right, but you are going up against folks that are looking for a set "in case or box". Not sure if they are going to be using them or just looking longingly at them while drinking a brandy next to the fireplace. If the box had been plastic instead, I doubt whether the price would have gone this high for what is very basic quality from this manufacturer.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodburner
Gotta be a pin for the scroll attachment on a bender
Give that man a cigar!
Right on the nailhead there rodburner. Yeah, go figure two different size holes in that dang thing. But it is now nice and tight. That one is over.
Ken

Thanks for the info on the insturments. I'll give ebay a look.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:07 PM

teufel

Considering todays prices the set went a little low. If you had a real use for the tools a bid of 80. plus 20 shipping would still have save you a hundred bucks or better over new. I'm looking at individual piece value.

I have Starret and Mitutoyo instruments only. I think the Mitutoyo tools are smoother and better finished now days. They were a bargain at one time but are on par with Starret price wise now. I like and use both.

tjj
Old 07-18-2005, 11:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to teufel Send a message via MSN to teufel

just needing something a bit more accurate to setup R&P, and runout on driveshafts when i toss them in the lathe. thanks.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:40 PM

Hmm Franz, The only things that look to be asian mad eon starretts website are thier highend electronic tools, so im not too worried. Now, I was just on the brown&sharpe website. I just found out that Brown and sharpes parent tool company has manufacturing plants in CHINA Rhode Island, switerland, germany. Also, YOu cant tell where most of thier products are made. The make no mention of it in any of the listings, and the only time you know is when you see it in thepictures. It looks like thier simple stuff liek steel squares are made in USA, and thier electronic micrometers are made in switzerland. I wonder how much is made in china? I am now going to be learly of them, and If I am goign to make a tool purchase other than starrett, I will want to see them in person.

damn chinks.

Jim
Old 07-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Founder: Machining Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming
Probably about right, but you are going up against folks that are looking for a set "in case or box". Not sure if they are going to be using them or just looking longingly at them while drinking a brandy next to the fireplace. .
True and funny.

I have noticed that my better buys have come on individual items as opposed to sets. My 3 cents

Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm.