Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to storts
Default To All Electrians,,Franz wanted to see it

To Franz, and all electricans, its a 2 wire 3 phase 440 volt,installed in late 30's early 40's,,5 pics,,sorry there in a dark area, will put new bulbs in next wk, for more pics,,Its Like sara could you connect me to the other Party Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOMS ELECTRIC SERVICE 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	402
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	5044  
Old 07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Elite Member

Default #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by storts
To Franz, and all electricans, its a 2 wire 3 phase 440 volt,installed in late 30's early 40's,,5 pics,,sorry there in a dark area, will put new bulbs in next wk, for more pics,,Its Like sara could you connect me to the other Party Jack
Got to make my 10 words.Jack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TOMS ELECTRIC SERVICE 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	5045  

Last edited by storts; 07-15-2005 at 08:12 PM. Reason: opps pic
Old 07-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Elite Member

Default #3,Hope some one understands it!!!

Quote:
Got to make my 10 words.Jack
Again,,# 3 i hope,Jack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TOMS ELECTRIC SERVICE 003 (Small).jpg
Views:	277
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	5046  
Old 07-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Elite Member

Default Only 2 More

Quote:
Again,,# 3 i hope,Jack
well last 2 pics,Jack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TOMS ELECTRIC SERVICE 004 (Small).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	5047  
Old 07-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Elite Member

Default last finnally !!!

Quote:
well last 2 pics,Jack
Well this is it ,,in the dark,,,Jack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TOMS ELECTRIC SERVICE 005 (Small).jpg
Views:	225
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	5048  
Old 07-15-2005, 08:31 PM
North West Redneck

Hey Jack the first picture reminds me of some of the derricks my old company has. A lot of them were whirly cranes, and then later set on barges. The one derrick I worked on the most had a diesel engine powering a huge DC generator. One of my first days on this derrick the deck engineer asked me if I wanted to see something interesting. This particular morning we were having one of our monsoons. I followed the deck engineer up a couple flight of stairs, and into the engine / winch room. He directed me to stand in a certain place. Now already I don’t like this area, because of all the electrical panels right in front of me, and the water is just running off me. The deck engineer opens one of these panels. WTF, all these relays, and switches were opening and closing, little lightning bolts were jumping back and forth. I thought I was going to have a heart attack! I could have killed this guy. I don’t like electricity in the first place, but this time I was wringing wet!

Last edited by Pile Buck; 07-15-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Jack, I don't know how you connectthecat fellows count to 2, but the picture I'm lookin at looks like a 3 phase 3 wire Delta fusebox from the late 30s, right after they stopped using slate panels with knife switches.

The fuse blocks themselves look like they might be Pass & Seymore, but I can't see any identification on them in that picture.

How in the hell do you figure anything about that setup is 2 wire?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Elite Member

Default Holy Shoooot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pile Buck
Hey Jack the first picture reminds me of some of the derricks my old company has. A lot of them were whirly cranes, and then later set on barges. The one derrick I worked on the most had a diesel engine powering a huge DC generator. One of my first days on this derrick the deck engineer asked me if I wanted to see something interesting. This particular morning we were having one of our monsoons. I followed the deck engineer up a couple flight of stairs, and into the engine / winch room. He directed me to stand in a certain place. Now already I don’t like this area, because of all the electrical panels right in front of me, and the water is just running off me. The deck engineer opens one of these panels. WTF, all these relays, and switches were opening and closing, little lightning bolts were jumping back and forth. I thought I was going to have a heart attack! I could have killed this guy. I don’t like electricity in the first place, but this time I was wringing wet!
Carl I like and enjoy electricty, and love learning,But have to respest it!!!But this is all closed up, I opened it to take pics, Franz said he wanted to see it,,well he did,,I now how to wire a 3 phase shop with 4 wires, one for each phase and your ground,,But 2 wire 3 phase,,Franz knew about it,,,which I beleive,,will see what him and hankJ has to say,,hows that hoe?????????????Jack
Old 07-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Elite Member

Default Franz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
Jack, I don't know how you connectthecat fellows count to 2, but the picture I'm lookin at looks like a 3 phase 3 wire Delta fusebox from the late 30s, right after they stopped using slate panels with knife switches.

The fuse blocks themselves look like they might be Pass & Seymore, but I can't see any identification on them in that picture.

How in the hell do you figure anything about that setup is 2 wire?
Believe me,I dont have a clue,,But I can add 2 and 2 ,,My buddy had a problem with his shear,,220.on a step down tranformer,,so I go over there with my meter,,and I cnat find the 3rd wire, call cl&p,,They send a rookie out,,sais he need a old timer,,and he explained everything , that was 7 or so years ago,,called it some type of system,,made no since to me,,I checked the 2 fuses for power,,he had them,on both ends,,Cl&p changed one,,and bingo ,,been running wvwr since, If we put a bulb in,( i was running late) and open the main box under the meter that might help you,,Will do this week,,Jack
Franz, He never had the 3rd wire?????????????? But had 3 phase Im Not a electrican, But can wire any shop,if they have the right # of wires conin in, and a drop!!!!!Jack

Last edited by storts; 07-15-2005 at 09:14 PM. Reason: PS
Old 07-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Banned

Jack, trust me, that's a 480 volt (may be 440) 3 phase DELTA service.
It was a very popular distribution system in the 1930s & 40s, to industrial customers. Generally, you find autotransformers in these buildings to provide 110 volt power for lighting and plug in devices, and the voltages from them can be very erratic.

Voltage from A to B, B to C, or A to C shold read 440 or 480 volts.
Voltage from A, B, or C can be anything from 0 to 440 volts.

There is NO GROUND wire! There is no Ground or Neutral connection to the PoCo.
Look around the wall, there should be either 3 or 6 lightbulbs glowing, if they ain't burned out, that are a ground indicator.
If one of the phases gets grounded, it won't blow fuses or a breaker, but it will burn out electric motors and transformers.

The rare 2 phase systems required 4 wires, not 3 wires.

Here are some diagrams that should help you, just scroll down to page 4 for information on both 2 phase and 3 phase DELTA.
http://www.cooperpower.com/Library/pdf/R201902.pdf
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TOMS ELECTRIC SERVICE 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	5049