Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumly2071
now that's funny.... Argoff... where's is shade's windex. I need to clean my monitor now...

ROFL-ROFL-ROFL....
I thought you were assigned to put all that vast engineering edumification to work prototyping a windshiled wiper system for monitors. What'd you do, get sidetracked modifying a Dyson to suck beverages out of keyboards?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:15 PM

LOL ok just making sure.
Thanks guys
Old 07-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Banned

FOR THE REMEDIAL GROUP

First, somebody please wake Hero up, and take the red hat away from him.

Lets try thinking of an acetelene bottle as a big bottle of hot grape soda.
For purposes of our lesson, the acetelene gas will be the Co2 in the soda, and the Acetone will be the purple liquid.
The object of the exercize is to get the Co2 gas out of the purple liquid while still leaving the liquid in the bottle.
Now we all know if we remove the cap with the bottle laying down, we're going to wear the purple liquid, and the gas will discipate into the atmousphere, so that's a bad idea. More or less, the same situation exists getting acetelene out of Acetone, except letting the acetone out of the bottle will give you a very nasty GREEN fire at the tip, and may send you to a visit at the Burn ward.
Somebody wake Hero up again please.
We can however locate the bottle with the valve on top, and open the valve, but we are still going to spew grape liquid, because the suspension inside the bottle isn't stable.
If, however, we stand the bottle up, and let it set for a couple hours, the gas will redisolve into the acetone, and we won't wear grape liquid when the valve is opened to an appropriate rate of discharge. By leaving the bottle in a valve up attitude, we can totally (more or less) remove the gas from the grape liquid, without any liquid leaving the bottle.
The acetelene gas will slowly evaporate from the acetone just like the Co2 gas will evaporate from the Grape soda.
NO HERO, you cannot drink the acetone!

If that doesn't explain it, I'm transferring all of you to Mr Kotter's wood shop class.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:46 PM

Thank you Prof. Franz. And Ill have you know I stayed awake thru the whole thing. The concept behind the acetone and acetelene I fully understand. I was hoping for something a bit more specific. Like if the bottle was on its side for x amount of time, dont use until it has been upright for x + y amount. Spent a bunch of time while waiting on Windows XP installs searching the 'net and came up dry.

I do know that getting the acetone out is not a good thing, but I did not know that the acetone would burn green, so I did learn something from this, which I try to do at every occasion. You have a vast wealth of knowlege, and I want it! (Thats your apple, Prof. )

Seriously, thanks for teaching this young whipersnapper.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Elite Member

I feel that having any bottle upright, chained/secured.....is the only way to go.....

we have all heard the horror stories

dawg
Old 07-14-2005, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcdawg
I feel that having any bottle upright, chained/secured.....is the only way to go.....

we have all heard the horror stories

dawg
Yup Dawg, thats a given. Mine are lashed to the 2-wheeler all the time. And the only reason this even came up was I had to get new bottles today and had to transport them laying down.

Last edited by Hero; 07-14-2005 at 10:03 PM. Reason: cant speel fer snot
Old 07-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Banned

From a whole lot more years than I care to remember haulin acetelene tanks around, and carryin them sumbiches up stairs, there really isn't any relationship between how long they laid down to how long they have to stand up for safe use. The general consensus seems to be having them standing for 2 hours will get everything back where it belongs.
The acetone ain't exactly sloshin around in there, it's more or less soaked into the filler material.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:54 PM

Ok, cool. Thanks. Im more worried about my mistakes hurting someone innocent than I am about hurting myself. But not hurting myself is good too.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:06 PM

Spider,

Are you using a Flowmeter or a Flowgauge? I would assume a Flowmeter has to be kept vertical while a Flowgauge would work in any position.....that is an assumption on my part though.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:53 PM

Yes it's a flowmeter. I'll be keeping the meter vertical though.