Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 08-06-2018, 08:07 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Here is a picture of the underside of the compound where the tool post attaches.

I did not try and get this apart yet.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5595.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	146412  
Old 08-07-2018, 02:17 AM
Curmudgeon

"Sometimes it looks like a nut."
Looks like a nut to me? But I probably wouldn't try using a quarter to get that one loose.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"... the catastrophe that awaits everyone from a single false move, wrong turn, fatal encounter. Every life has such a moment.
What distinguishes us is whether—and how—we ever come back.”
Charles Krauthammer 1950-2018
Old 08-07-2018, 09:45 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Had coffee with Kieth this morning (He had Tea) and chastised him for his multifixation.
They are great toolposts but the proper sized aloris clone will work as well as a multifit.
if you ever need more holders you wil find that you can get about 6 aloris clone holders for the price of one Kieths fixation holder.
Years ago there was some variation in the dovetail slot from brand to brand so you had some loose holders and some tight ones.
In the last few years that seems to have been resolved.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:14 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
...Kieth loves his toolpost and those who use them do......But the XA style post is almost an industry standard now and parts and tool holders are so cheap it's embarrassing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
...Had coffee with Kieth this morning (He had Tea) and chastised him for his multifixation.
They are great toolposts but the proper sized aloris clone will work as well as a multifit.
if you ever need more holders you wil find that you can get about 6 aloris clone holders for the price of one Kieths fixation holder...
It appears that my Canadian buddies can't appreciate a good QCTP when they see one...

Seriously, though, in terms of cost, there's no doubt that a Multifix setup is going to cost more than one of the Aloris clones. I personally feel that the Multifix setup is more versatile and a bit more rigid than an Aloris setup but by how much I really have no idea. One of the reasons that I'm a fan of Multifix is that, more by chance than anything else, all the "serious" lathes that I've owned came with Multifix toolposts already installed. I've never had to do the research nor have I had the opportunity to use anything else--other than a lantern style or one of the 4-sided toolposts like Gerry is tossing.

So, were I starting from scratch and looking seriously at the numbers I imagine that there's a pretty good chance I'd end up with an Aloris setup as well. Even though the Multifix toolposts are better () I don't think you can go wrong with an Aloris clone either...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:09 AM
Something's Fishy ...

As far a rigidity at our age it is mostly a myth

As long as the tool post and holder are as rigid as the next flex point you will not see any difference in quality or accuracy.
Dorian and Aloris did there homework on this.

In the end it is decided by satisfied or dissatisfied users.
I have 15 or 20 blocks in the carousel on the head stock of my lathe but would not have space there for 5 multifit holders
Old 08-08-2018, 05:24 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

First off, Thanks for all the comments and I'll have coffee black please. Tea will be along in the afternoons and supper. It has come time where I have to stop the coffee around 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

I do have a question or open for comments, since this compound does not have a traditional slot, would traditional sizing of the wedge type tool post be a concern? All the ones I have ever used, if need be, could be slid along the slot in the compound to fine tune it. Since this currently has a solid one place style mount I am open for thoughts.

I have access to a mill. If I really get an urge this compound could be slotted as well.

Scott
Old 08-08-2018, 06:18 PM
The Real Deal

I don't think that I would do that With a quick change you can use your tool ether on the left or wright side.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
If I really get an urge this compound could be slotted as well.

Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
I don't think that I would do that.
Meither. I don't have any experience with bigboy lathes but on my little one I never do anything more than keep the toolpost block more or less centered so as to get the most of it positioned over solid iron & not hanging toes off in the air.
Seems to me that if you're concerned about rigidity then cutting a slot would weaken the compound.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"... the catastrophe that awaits everyone from a single false move, wrong turn, fatal encounter. Every life has such a moment.
What distinguishes us is whether—and how—we ever come back.”
Charles Krauthammer 1950-2018