Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-21-2018, 12:09 PM
Elite Member

Default Tractor/Skid Steer Lifitng Boom

I prefer not to use the name Skid Steer but rather Mini Wheel or Track Loader, after all loading is what these machines are mainly made to do right? It adds unnecessary confusion to the boggling array of construction equipment that it available today. This boom will be used on a tractor.

The mounting plate is available "ready made". The one I purchased is from Titan. It is the "cut out" model in 3/8" thick plate steel. It is well made with good welding and a silver paint like coating.

I am adding two pieces of 7"x 9.8lb. channel for the main boom supports. The drawing on the channel shows my intent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	145668  

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:34 PM
Urban Gunfighter

We did a boom/jib pole at one of the SFT GTGs...
I would recommend gauging where and how much to weld on that plate. Too much causes some "movement" of the plate...

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 06-21-2018, 11:39 PM

I'd try my best to place the stress near the skid steer lift arms. Just centering a bigass piece of tubing seems a bit risky, unless there's some means of moving that force to your lift arms. Those plates don't have much meat in the middle IIRC. Hard to tell from your Sharpie marks just what's going to be there.

I built a very sturdy crane I use on my 3pt, but the actual load is carried by the lift arms, and top link. Tubing carries the force to these points. As with most cranes, my load capacity varies with the angle of the main mast. That tubing is many times stronger than a piece of channel.

I'd like a jib on my front end loader, but its reach would be pretty limited for anything but very light stuff. Think of it this way...……...500lb load, 6 feet out from the loader main bucket, equates to placing 3000lbs on the point it attaches to the bucket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 253.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	145675  

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Last edited by Farmersamm; 06-21-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:47 PM

https://www.everythingattachments.co...-1bp84clhd.htm

They say it's rated at 1500#. Better just hope those skinny struts don't buckle I guess. They're the only thing transferring the weight to the quick attach. I did notice the dood said it's been redesigned.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 PM

Those top struts are in tension, bottom struts in compression. The cross piece does very little to actually transfer the load to the arms. Take those struts out of the picture, and it buckles.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:46 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumly2071 View Post
We did a boom/jib pole at one of the SFT GTGs...
I would recommend gauging where and how much to weld on that plate. Too much causes some "movement" of the plate...
I briefly considered this, I will now do so again. There is plenty of edge on this piece, I don't think it all needs to be welded.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Elite Member

They are calling this https://www.everythingattachments.co...-1bp84clhd.htm a "boom pole", it's like an exercise in redundancy.

I am even less fond of the basic design. There is reduced visibility caused by the vertical mounting structure. Moreover this design does not take advantage of the "power band" of the loader curl function. I think with this design the boom will be up near or past 45 degrees when the linkage is at its most efficient. I want the boom closer to horizontal when I'm in the power zone.

A better design I think is like the one pictured below. Mine will be similar with a few added features.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	145804  

Old 06-27-2018, 11:58 AM
I can dig it

Guess it also depends what you’re using it for.

It’s a different application if one is lifting an engine for example, or lifting a roof truss up into place.

I slapped a pole together a few years ago for my excavator for placing truss. Total reach is over 30’, with lots of height. Worked great for placing trusses.

Now that I’ve used it for some different/heavier stuff, it’s starting to develop a slight bow to it when under load. So, I use it, with no one else around, knowing it could fail. However I’m twenty feet away, in the cab of the excavator, and I keep the loads close to the ground. I just need the reach to place stuff into the storage trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
They are calling this https://www.everythingattachments.co...-1bp84clhd.htm a "boom pole", it's like an exercise in redundancy.

I am even less fond of the basic design. There is reduced visibility caused by the vertical mounting structure. Moreover this design does not take advantage of the "power band" of the loader curl function. I think with this design the boom will be up near or past 45 degrees when the linkage is at its most efficient. I want the boom closer to horizontal when I'm in the power zone.

A better design I think is like the one pictured below. Mine will be similar with a few added features.
That’s for a skid steer with a completely different set of dynamics from farm tractor and loader.

How long a boom you want? How much weight? I’m thinking your going to easily exceed the curl function on an older tractor running 900 psi hydraulics.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:14 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
That’s for a skid steer with a completely different set of dynamics from farm tractor and loader.

How long a boom you want? How much weight? I’m thinking your going to easily exceed the curl function on an older tractor running 900 psi hydraulics.
It seems to me the improved visibility of the horizontal attaching plate makes this design better in any lifting application and on any loader.

One never knows what I will be moving next. Sometimes I go out of my way just to see if I can, that's why I am providing multiple lifting points and a telescoping boom. There will also be two different receivers in which I can install different attachments like a work platform or a material handling device.
The John Deere 110 I have is not really a farm tractor. It has a permanently mounted loader with factory quick attach that operates on 3000 PSI hydraulics. It is yellow not green.