Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-04-2017, 09:04 PM
That HURT!

Peter,
It's ironic that you went and got one of these benders today as today is the first time I have used my bender.

I got a call yesterday from the new indoor range that just opened up down the street. They needed a few replacement target hangers made and gave me an order for 12 hangers. Trevor went and picked up material this morning and we banged them out when I got home from work. This bender made the 90* bends in the 3/8" square stock an easy task and the bender paid for itself on the first job I used it on.

Did you get to go the the surplus side of Fazio's?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Urban Gunfighter

If I could find that bender for close to the same price, I'd have one on order.
Can't justify it at $275 plus shipping from Grizzly, and WAY beyond driving distance for me to go to NJ to get one.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 01-04-2017, 11:38 PM
Elite Member

Operation video, here.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:45 AM

A fellow tool junkie rode up with me and we spent a couple hours going through all the buildings. That is quite the operation. We have nothing like it in Delaware, although Fazzio's satellite location in New Castle, De has a nice selection of hardware and an outstanding supply of fasteners
Old 06-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Armchair Webbie

BUMP

Well, it was too good to last. I should have struck while the deal was hot. I just got off the phone with Joseph Fazio Tools and they said that they don't carry that nice little $99 bender anymore. They're less than 25 miles from me.

It sounds like they've got some neat stuff so, I'll probably still go there and look around.

Grizzly Industrial still sells it but, it's $299.95 and costs $99.00 to ship it. GRRRRRR. I saw it elsewhere for over $500.00!

For now, it's back to the vise and a hammer.

Dave
Old 06-06-2019, 01:25 PM
Grumpy Bastard

https://www.harborfreight.com/compact-bender-38470.html

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-06-2019, 01:49 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
THIS ^^^^. I had one for a few years. Used it once. I'm pretty sure I broke even when I sold it for $80. Not a bad unit for what it is. I would bolt mine to an old desktop (on the ground) for support.

Picked up a used bench mount model for $20 a couple years ago with ALL the dies and pieces (surprise! ). It is tucked away until I need it which has not been once since I bought it.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 06-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Voice of Experience

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
I wasn't sure where to put this so I'll put it here, since it has to do with both forming metal and fabricating metal, Cutter the choice is yours.

I was at my metal suppliers last week and saw this imported bender and for $99 it had to come home with me. I've never seen anything like it at HF or any of the other vendors of imported metal working tools.

It's pretty heavy duty and I could have used it a few month ago when I needed to bend 72 brackets out if 3/16"X1" flat bar at a 45* angle.

I made some brackets for a guy today out of 1/4"X2" SS flat bar and it was a piece of cake. I had to make the handle for it because it didn't come with one but other than that this is a nice little bender. It has an adjustable stop for repeat bends and the cam actuated clamp holds the stock quite well.

This afternoon I drilled and tapped holes in my big table so I could bolt it down. I took a piece of 1/2" round stock and bent a 90* in it with very little muscular input from me and I'm quite pleased with it. for $99, its a winner.

Looks like 87 1/2 degrees...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 06-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Armchair Webbie

Yes, it looks like I'll be getting the Harbor Freight bender. With the 20% coupon, it's only $72.00.

I was watching the youtube video on the one from Shop Outfitters and thought, "Hey, that thing is really neat and does a whole lot more!" I thought, maybe I should spend a little more and get a well-built American one.

Then, I checked the price - $2600.00 for the basic machine with no more features than the Harbor Freight model.

Is it any wonder we buy Chinese stuff! If I was making money with the thing maybe, but not for a hobby.

For those interested in the little $99 bender that started this thread, I found it on ebay for $216 with free shipping. That's the lowest price I found anywhere.

Oh yeah, I got the brackets I needed bent already. Just used the vise and a hammer like I've always done. Came out beautiful, if I do say so.

Dave
Old 06-15-2019, 05:42 PM
Elite Member

I got one of the HF ones late last year. Have to clear a spot to mount.