Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Director of Languages

@greywnd, I'd planned on some 2 or 3 inch flat on the angles too, and another across the mouth, dont think I'll have either the budget or the workload to justify a proper cutting edge. I was also looking at the drawing earlier thinking the exact same thing about grading in reverse, should be great for it, esp as the loader has double acting rams on the lift.

@doug, I'll see what I can find, or more importantly what my friend can find for me, I've nowt bigger than 3 inch in my stocks.

It's a valid point though, my friend made up a very similar bucket for a colleague of his who put the brackets on himself.

One of the first times he put it under pressure (A lot of pressure, 80hp, 4wd engaged, diff lock engaged) he pushed the tipping rams through the back of the bucket because he didnt re-inforce them in any way.

I did some measuring tonight, I'm guessing I'll be taking around 18 inches out of it. Figured out how I'll do the bulk of the work at least too.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:22 AM

I do a lot of rock drilling with 1-3/4" tungsten carbide bits(at 75$ each).
Being the cheap slob that I am,I cut the old ones right behind the carbide buttons.that gives me a piece 1-3/4" dia. by about 1" thick with about a dozen cabide buttons embedded.
I weld them on the back corners of my loader bucket. (I have a back cutting edge) The ends have not shown any wear for three years now. The middle is wearing so I get humps when I back drag.
I also weld them on the hoe teeth...no wear.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Director of Languages

So, I need to replace that crossmember at the front. the current one is made from two pieces of folded channnel welded together to make an 80mm box

I dont want to buy a length of 80mm box as it's an odd size, and no-one local wants to get one in stock just to sell me 2 metres of it.

Soo, I have two options, buy a length of 80x40 box which I would find uses for, and weld two pieces together, or a length of 80mm angle and weld two pieces of that together to make a box.

your thoughts please?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Nutbuster

Johnboy, You could do it either way. If it was me I'd do it with the angles. Then I'd weld the whole way across the joint. No Skip welds. If you do do it with the square tubing then I'd leave a gap 1/8" when you weld it together. Then fit it real good to the loader frame so the welds are stronger. Take your time to get a good fit. Then weld the pi$$ out if it.

Kevin

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."- Albert Einstien

I'm mostly worthless! You'll see.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 AM
Director of Languages

Minor update.

I put the dung fork on and lifted the loader off the ground, cracked some hydraulic fittings and cycled the fork manually..

This allowed me to see how much clearance I needed.

I'm switching from the older style of catching the bucket on the sides, as used on trip loaders (in fact this same loader was available as a trip option) so I need to allow a lot less clearance, which allows for the shortening.

Measured it and I'll be able to take out 16 inches of length. height is of far less a concern to me than lift capacity, white mark in the pic is where the new box section will go, gonna go with the angle option as local farm store has no 80x40 in stock and doesnt want to get some in for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loader4.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	71536  
Old 02-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Director of Languages

1) Got some proper shed time tonight, took the dung fork back off and put a brush handle across to measure from the central crossmemner. I need to know how much I've moved things back so I can shorten the tilt links by an equal amount.

2) tacked my box together and tacked it in place

3) chop chop!!

I'll weld the new box section together, and onto the loader mounts before I cut it off the rest of the front. It should help keep everything nice and square while I'm welding.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	loader5.jpg
Views:	1570
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	71551   Click image for larger version

Name:	loader6.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	71552   Click image for larger version

Name:	loader7.jpg
Views:	1508
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	71553  
Old 02-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

John, one other thing that you should do to the box section is drill a couple of holes in the bottom corner of it to allow moisture to escape from the section. You need two holes to allow air to circulate through the section, chamfer them inside and out, just break the sharp edge of the hole to prevent stress risers.
Interesting project.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Director of Languages

Definitely need some drainage alright, a few litres of water came out of the loader when I was handling it.

Tonight I welded the box section completely, fully along it's length and all round both ends.

it's ready now to be chopped out and welded back onto the rest of the frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	loader8.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	71709  
Old 02-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Director of Languages

1) Cut the box section from the bit that's being scrapped, cleaned up some details, did some more welding and offered it up to the frame. I've a good few tacks on it since and now I want to get it onto the tractor to see if I've gone too far or not before I put any more time into it.

Sadly the tractor's not really progressed at all this week, but hopefully it'll be back in one piece and I can test it on saturday

2) Was up at my parents place today rummaging through some of my scrap when I saw this. I'd forgotton it was there. it's a bucket from a massey ferguson trip loader of similar vintage. it has very little, if any work done. since my dad has had it I know it's done nothing. he doesnt like front loaders, dont ask. I'm wondering if he'll give it to me, and if it's worth converting to fit mine.

3) This (crappy pic) is the end view of the bucket. it's rounded back makes it that bit more arkward for me to adapt it. I'll have to pull it out into the open and do some looking at it to see if it'll work. or at least take a cardboard template of it. It's also a few inches smaller in every direction than the one I was going to get made. but it would cost a lot less. hmmmm this will need some more thinking about
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	loader9.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	71957   Click image for larger version

Name:	loader10.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	71958   Click image for larger version

Name:	loader11.jpg
Views:	320