Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 05-11-2021, 09:34 PM
Elite Member

It is possible to back up, but it takes planning and practice. I used to back up a 4x8 trailer with a 66 passenger school bus. The bus had no seats and was filled with marching band equipment. That was 20 years ago. It was much easier to back a 53' trailer with a road tractor.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 05-12-2021, 07:33 AM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
I don't think it's all a matter of seeing it. It's so short coupled with the vehicle that the turning radius of the vehicle will not turn short enough to keep up with the trailer. They'll pull just fine, but they don't push worth a damn.

I have a couple of short trailers, and I ended up putting a ball & hitch on the front of my Polaris Ranger to push them back into the shed......and that's even chore sometimes.
Front hitch receivers are available for pickups to do just this. Also handy for pin on snowplows...

Dunno a bout vans though?
Old 05-12-2021, 08:51 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

The secret to backing up a short reach trailer, or a 60 ft Super B, is to have a mental picture in your mind of what you are doing. You imagine that the trailer is the main vehicle, and the vehicle you are operating is the front wheels of the trailer "vehicle". Steer accordingly.

I built a 4x8 trailer with a 3ft reach and I can back it up with the 1 ton, I find that the moment I can see a bit of the trailer fender behind me in the left mirror, it is time to push it in the other direction til I see it in the right side mirror. and repeat.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 05-12-2021, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
The secret to backing up a short reach trailer, or a 60 ft Super B, is to have a mental picture in your mind of what you are doing. You imagine that the trailer is the main vehicle, and the vehicle you are operating is the front wheels of the trailer "vehicle". Steer accordingly.

I built a 4x8 trailer with a 3ft reach and I can back it up with the 1 ton, I find that the moment I can see a bit of the trailer fender behind me in the left mirror, it is time to push it in the other direction til I see it in the right side mirror. and repeat.

Another secret of training is when your kids are 8yo, put them on the riding lawn mower and bribe them to back the tractor and small trailer around the 10 acre scrap yard thru the roads in the woods. Helps develop muscle memory. But then you need to keep those skills in training to stay sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 05-12-2021, 05:43 PM
Boiler God

I got the trailer lights wired today and tested. Now all I need is the accessory whip from the service van’s factory trailer package wiring plug to the plug assembly for the hitch.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:39 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post

Exactly what I do.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:02 PM
The Real Deal

All set for the first road trip
Old 05-13-2021, 03:05 AM
Elite Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDoctor View Post
Big trailers, small trailers, boat trailers, jet ski trailers, I can't back any of them up for shit. Man's got to know his limitations
I feel your pain.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:20 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I got the trailer lights wired today and tested. Now all I need is the accessory whip from the service van’s factory trailer package wiring plug to the plug assembly for the hitch.
Speaking of whips, a short buggy whip mounted on the tail of the trailer would let you know where the rear of the trailer is. The brand, Buggy Whip, is pretty expensive, should be able to find a knock-off cheaper.

American Guns whip

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:10 PM
Master Procrastinator

Jack, I don't mean to 'poo-poo' your trailer or be the eternal pessimist, but I fear your learning curve to successfully back that little bastard will go on for quite some time........unless that van has four wheel steering......or put a ball on the front.

My best wishes be with you.
The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion. --St. Mother Teresa
In life it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply letting them be wrong.