Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-15-2021, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
Round Tuits by the 25 pack!

I think I got one of those 25 years ago in a personal improvement class by Zig ziglar that my workplace at the time offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 06-15-2021, 12:23 PM
Elite Member

I useta fantasize about cloning myself (less explanations to minions) til I saw the movie Multiplicity - the thought of more "helpers" around that were as stubborn as I am (and each one dumber than the last) was enough to scrap THAT idea ... Steve
Old 06-15-2021, 04:40 PM
Do I have a life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
I useta fantasize about cloning myself (less explanations to minions) til I saw the movie Multiplicity - the thought of more "helpers" around that were as stubborn as I am (and each one dumber than the last) was enough to scrap THAT idea ... Steve
I wouldn't mind a few clones of myself but we'd be constantly talking to ourselves like "what'd you say? what'd you say?"

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 06-16-2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
Lazy? or smart? As I mentioned, I referenced plans, but winged it alot, depending on what material I had in stock. ie the 1x2" tube for the platen frame. I did not have a lot of 1/2" plate and liked the wheels being supported on both sides. I don't know the advantages of one over the other.

Are you looking for variable speed? What size motor? Horizontal option? I could see that as being very handy. I think, when I started, my criteria was variable speed, horizontal option, use a treadmill motor. I kind of liked the pressurized tube instead of a spring for belt tension so I went that direction.
I like your idea of using a treadmill motor, round here we get hard waste roadside collections a few times a year and there are often treadmills being chucked out. The plans allow for it to turn on it’s side but don’t know if I will do that. I have been sidetracked with a guitar refurbish so will have to get back to it, I sorted the steel but haven’t picked it up yet. This is really a side project, most of my energy goes in making batches of steel wheels for garden ornaments which I sell so I keep threatening to do it between wheels but there is a bit of demand for them so it gets put back again.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive View Post
I like your idea of using a treadmill motor, round here we get hard waste roadside collections a few times a year and there are often treadmills being chucked out. The plans allow for it to turn on it’s side but don’t know if I will do that. I have been sidetracked with a guitar refurbish so will have to get back to it, I sorted the steel but haven’t picked it up yet. This is really a side project, most of my energy goes in making batches of steel wheels for garden ornaments which I sell so I keep threatening to do it between wheels but there is a bit of demand for them so it gets put back again.

The question is would the sander help make the parts for the wheels? Then it could be put higher up in priority list.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 06-17-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
The question is would the sander help make the parts for the wheels? Then it could be put higher up in priority list.

No, I already pondered that, it will happen but I’m easily side tracked so it could be awhile.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post

lol..yea, that helps. I did use the sander to shape or finish parts for parts of the sander. I did think that was ironic (or efficient)

When you really need it, you will set time aside for it. I think that is the way most of us hobbyists work. We can do a lot of good stuff, but the problem is what will be worthy of our time (today, this week, this month?...)

I retired in January and find that I can focus more. I don't have to walk away from a job. I can be a slow learner sometimes (ie, 3 days to figure out threading on a lathe) but when working, I would have given up and it would have been another unfinished job.

So when YOU are ready is the best time. If you are getting by now, then it is not a priority, and not a priority.

Hopefully, these posts help you though. I have not used the horizontal mode much ie, at all, but if I am doing wood working and want to sand some end grain, I think that will be when I appreciate the option.

Cheers,
Old 06-18-2021, 11:21 AM

Nice looking belt sander! I finished mine last year (I think) but my controller for the treadmill motor went out and I haven't found a replacement for it yet. I thought it was the motor but had it tested and they said it was fine so it must be the controller. Not sure what to do, I may have to get some of those round tuits myself soon.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Nice looking belt sander! I finished mine last year (I think) but my controller for the treadmill motor went out and I haven't found a replacement for it yet. I thought it was the motor but had it tested and they said it was fine so it must be the controller. Not sure what to do, I may have to get some of those round tuits myself soon.
Thanks Scratch. Nice thing about treadmills are that many use standard parts so if you can find another treadmill, perhaps you can grab another controller. There seem to be a couple of variations of them, but also some good websites where guys have modified them for use. The biggest difference I have noted so far is that some require a pulse train to trigger the controller and some just need the external potentiometer. I have both around here but used the simple one for this sander.

Wanted ads on your local Kijiji or Craigs list might produce a treadmill with controller pretty quick..?

Good luck with yours.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:32 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Does the motor have any information on it? Or old controller? Voltage in and voltage out info any where?

Scott