Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-12-2021, 08:31 PM

I got real lazy and bought a set of plans, it’s a fill in project with no urgency. I just wanted dimensions, I am changing a few things as I felt there are different methods that suit me more. I’ll post as it happens but as I said there is no rush, I’ve been threatening to do this for years. Hopefully I’ll pick up most of the steel next week when I pick up another load.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Lets see the build
Well, you did ask....

Clive, maybe something in my photos will inspire or prompt changes to your build. It has been a real learning project for me, start to finish and I wanted to try to do a nice job, as opposed to just get a sander at the end. But my skill set is more redneck than machinist so, uh, it has been interesting, and fun...

I started referencing Jeremy Schmidts plans http://jerswoodshop.com/2x72-tilting-belt-grinder/ and Brian's plans for the Revolution https://housemade.us/products/revolu...-grinder-plans

My motor and control is from a treadmill, left hand threaded flywheel, hence the motor on the opposite side from most builds. I melted aluminum and cast the wheels. That was one of the first diversions, to finish the furnace I started years ago.

I milled the flywheel down on the motor to accomodate a piece of 6" pipe (cleaned up ) and put them together with a temperature differential (what is the proper name for that? Flywheel in snowbank and pipe heated with a torch. Dropped the pipe over the flywheel. I think, iirc, about .010" difference when same temp)

It has been taking a long time with lots of head scratching and diversions along the way, but it has been fun so far. It is all taken apart right now for final welding and painting. It works great though, although I am able to bog the motor, and it draws a lot of current if I do that. I popped a 13 amp breaker in a power bar but have not popped the receptacle breaker yet (15 amp)

I put a piece of melamine in for the platen right now. I left a 5/8" gap from front of wheel to platen frame so I can have platen surface options. I see that some put a piece of glass in there, others just use a steel plate. Not sure what I am doing with that yet, but the melamine is smooth and hard and for the limited use it has seen so far, is working fairly well. Melamine is durable, but not intended for this so we will see. I have a lifetime of melamine if I was only going to use it for platens...

Here is a short video of it. The sparks coming back at me lead to the shrouding. Youtuber Vanderley does a really nice job on his sander and shrouding. (Oops, forgot the shrouded photos. See next post)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F6KC5tIZgQ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheels.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	160562   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts to mate.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	160563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulley castings.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	160564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right 0426.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	160565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left side.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	160566  

Last edited by ShawnR; 06-05-2021 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:36 PM

The Tach, currently, gives RPM. The drive wheel works out to just over 20 inch circumference (20.6") so multiplying RPM by 20 gives belt speed(ish) I am considering adding a second magnet to the tach and then the factor would be only 10 for the belt speed. The RPM would be half that displayed, of course. I think most hobbyists are concerned with belt speed over motor speed. I can do 20x in my head ok so not too worried about what the display shows right now. I like the RPM until I get the bugs worked out.

I have never used a belt sander like this so not sure what I want yet. I am not into making knives but it looked like a good tool for the shop, and project. I need practice in everything I do in the shop and these projects are good for that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shrouded front.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	160567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shrouded left.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	160568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shrouded right.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	160569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horizontal.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	160570  

Last edited by ShawnR; 06-04-2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive View Post
I got real lazy and bought a set of plans, it’s a fill in project with no urgency. I just wanted dimensions, I am changing a few things as I felt there are different methods that suit me more. I’ll post as it happens but as I said there is no rush, I’ve been threatening to do this for years. Hopefully I’ll pick up most of the steel next week when I pick up another load.
Lazy? or smart? As I mentioned, I referenced plans, but winged it alot, depending on what material I had in stock. ie the 1x2" tube for the platen frame. I did not have a lot of 1/2" plate and liked the wheels being supported on both sides. I don't know the advantages of one over the other.

Are you looking for variable speed? What size motor? Horizontal option? I could see that as being very handy. I think, when I started, my criteria was variable speed, horizontal option, use a treadmill motor. I kind of liked the pressurized tube instead of a spring for belt tension so I went that direction.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:18 AM
Administrator

Shawn, nice build. Sounds like you learned a lot. And you got a useable tool.

I would call the process you used to mount the pipe on the motor pulley “heat Shrink”. I’m sure there are other terms used by others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 06-05-2021, 09:11 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Nice build, maybe someday I will finish my belt sander project

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 06-05-2021, 10:46 AM
Elite Member

"maybe someday I will finish my belt sander project"

Gerry, if I EVER find "tuits" for sale on Amazon, my next credit card bill will be a few THOUSAND$$$ higher ... Steve
Old 06-14-2021, 07:50 PM

Default belt sander

"I milled the flywheel down on the motor to accomodate a piece of 6" pipe (cleaned up )"

Nice work Shawn. I need one of these, one day. Lol.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:46 PM

Default 99% done

The sander project is mostly done. Couple little things that just bug me but otherwise, done for now. It will be a nice addition to the shop and was a great learning experience for me.

I think I will be moving onto other projects/wants/needs and of course, the honeydo list.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Painted right.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	160713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painted left.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	160714  
Old 06-15-2021, 10:35 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
"maybe someday I will finish my belt sander project"

Gerry, if I EVER find "tuits" for sale on Amazon, my next credit card bill will be a few THOUSAND$$$ higher ... Steve
Round Tuits by the 25 pack!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	round tuits.png
Views:	98
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	160716