Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-04-2019, 11:54 AM

Default Boring a 2.5 hole with a Hougen mag drill

Over in the Fabrication forum I have been building an iron worker from the ground up. The main pivot axle is 2.5" diameter bore through the 1.5" steel frame and arm. The largest annular cutter I can find is a 2.375". I believe a 2.5 would fit in the drill without hitting the frame but I am not sure they make them that big. Each side plate of the frame weighs 500 pounds and it is difficult to move to a shop with bigger equipment and I really want to do it in my shop. How do I bore the last .125? I have seen line boring rigs for mag drills that utilize pilot bearings but the system alone cost more than the steel. Do you guys know if they make a 2.5" angular cutter for the Hougen with a .75" shaft?

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 02-04-2019, 12:14 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Unhappy

Mike, Amazon has some 2-1/2" × 2"
I searched "annular cutter 2 1/2 "
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 02-04-2019, 01:03 PM

Really! I have only been able to find 2.375 on Amazon. Can you attach the link to the Amazon page?

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 02-04-2019, 01:26 PM
Auction Addict

Is this what you were looking for?

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Old 02-04-2019, 01:32 PM

Never mind I just found it on Amazon. Some reason on my home computer the search did not find it, but on my phone it went right to it.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-04-2019, 01:43 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Still have not figured how to do links on the smart phone, yet.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 02-04-2019, 03:03 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl View Post
Never mind I just found it on Amazon. Some reason on my home computer the search did not find it, but on my phone it went right to it.
By the way, I have the cutter size your looking for, I had to buy one, don't spend more than you really need to... buy the cheap one it works as well as the higher priced ones just use cooling/cutting fluid and was what I did for 11 holes and it is still nice and sharp that was drilling through 1/2" plate

"Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones.... But Whips An Chains Excite Me"

"The best revenge is to be unlike your enemy"
Marcus Aurelius, "Meditation"
Old 02-04-2019, 04:17 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
... buy the cheap one it works as well as the higher priced ones...
If you are only drilling a handful of holes, fine go with a "cheap" hss cutter. If you have a number of holes to cut, need to drill thick material, or like to buy high quality tools buy the "higher priced" carbide tipped cutters. You typically get what you pay for in this case - it's not a conspiracy against your wallet.

Yes, use coolant unless you enjoy throwing fist fulls of cash away, in which case throw it this way!

Apply a steady feed at a rate your drill can handle.

Sent from my XT1650 using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 02-04-2019, 05:00 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
If you are only drilling a handful of holes, fine go with a "cheap" hss cutter. If you have a number of holes to cut, need to drill thick material, or like to buy high quality tools buy the "higher priced" carbide tipped cutters. You typically get what you pay for in this case - it's not a conspiracy against your wallet.

Yes, use coolant unless you enjoy throwing fist fulls of cash away, in which case throw it this way!

Apply a steady feed at a rate your drill can handle.

Sent from my XT1650 using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
I have both German made and chap carbide annulated cutters I just suggested the cheap one I that size if just the couple of so holes and coolant and it will do the job and then some... I just bought the cheap one in that size he needs for 11 holes in half-inch plate slow feed and coolant works

"Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones.... But Whips An Chains Excite Me"

"The best revenge is to be unlike your enemy"
Marcus Aurelius, "Meditation"
Old 02-04-2019, 05:25 PM

The Hougen cutters I found on Amazon last week that were 2.375" were around $300! The one that Dan found is the "cheap" version at $158.00, but they were the correct size. I have only three holes to bore but the thickness is what is going to tax the cutter.

Thomas Jefferson