Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2019, 07:34 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 14,173
Default Angel Eyes Halo Light

Started wiring up the led light for the mill today. Had to add another outlet box to the side of the mill to plug in the 12V power supply. Putting in the on/off switch for the light in the forward/reverse box I already installed. Got to the middle of wiring and it was time to head to the house. Have to take the missus to CO tomorrow to get the bandages removed so will finish up Wednesday I hope.

The power came from a trouble light they were using for light. Piss poor light as it make as much shadows as light. The light will be attached to the bottom of the quill with 1/4" x 1/16" magnets epoxied to the light. Keeping all the wires up and out of the way when using the mill will be a challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2428.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	149001   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2429.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	149002   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2430.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	149003   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2431.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	149004  
__________________
Chris

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2019, 08:04 PM
terry lingle's Avatar
terry lingle terry lingle is offline
Something's Fishy ...
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Birch Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,131
Default

One thing about rotating equipment is the total desire to destroy anything loose that can be grabbed including the operator.

Where did you get that ring light ?
__________________
Life beats the alternative hands down.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2019, 08:05 PM
MetalWolf's Avatar
MetalWolf MetalWolf is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tx.
Posts: 2,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Started wiring up the led light for the mill today. Had to add another outlet box to the side of the mill to plug in the 12V power supply. Putting in the on/off switch for the light in the forward/reverse box I already installed. Got to the middle of wiring and it was time to head to the house. Have to take the missus to CO tomorrow to get the bandages removed so will finish up Wednesday I hope.

The power came from a trouble light they were using for light. Piss poor light as it make as much shadows as light. The light will be attached to the bottom of the quill with 1/4" x 1/16" magnets epoxied to the light. Keeping all the wires up and out of the way when using the mill will be a challenge.
Chris, maybe epoxy some of the magnets down the wire as well that way you can move them around to a configuration to be out of the way of your milling prosses just a thought

I'm putting one of those 500watt flood workshop lights on the wall beside the mill to shine down on the table that way I can see and have a little heat
too.
__________________
MetalWolf, AKA---- Metallic Shapeshifter-----

"Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones.... But Whips An Chains Excite Me"

"The best revenge is to be unlike your enemy"
Marcus Aurelius, "Meditation"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2019, 09:39 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 14,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Chris, maybe epoxy some of the magnets down the wire as well that way you can move them around to a configuration to be out of the way of your milling prosses just a thought

I'm putting one of those 500watt flood workshop lights on the wall beside the mill to shine down on the table that way I can see and have a little heat
too.
I was planning on putting the wires inside a small plastic wire loom. Magnets might be a good way to secure them. Thanks.
__________________
Chris

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2019, 09:53 PM
Ironman's Avatar
Ironman Ironman is offline
Iron Modification Investigator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warburg, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 13,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
One thing about rotating equipment is the total desire to destroy anything loose that can be grabbed including the operator.

Where did you get that ring light ?
Princess sells one, got one on the gearhead drill.
Ebay sells them for 3 bucks and good old Banggood sells 2 for 7 bucks.
__________________
Gerry
You got freedom of speech, if you don't say too much.
Aaron Neville

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-21-2019, 10:43 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 14,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Princess sells one, got one on the gearhead drill.
Ebay sells them for 3 bucks and good old Banggood sells 2 for 7 bucks.
I got mine on Banggood.

Correction: Got mine on Amazon.
__________________
Chris

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Last edited by milomilo; 01-22-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2019, 11:33 AM
terry lingle's Avatar
terry lingle terry lingle is offline
Something's Fishy ...
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Birch Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,131
Default

Thanks next time in kamloops I will have one or more if the Princess price is right otherwise it is off to china with my money.
__________________
Life beats the alternative hands down.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Ironman's Avatar
Ironman Ironman is offline
Iron Modification Investigator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warburg, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 13,120
Default

The princess one is good for a drill press, but not big enough for your mill. Depends on what you want it for. Better off with the 4" one that milo used for a mill.
__________________
Gerry
You got freedom of speech, if you don't say too much.
Aaron Neville

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-22-2019, 12:19 PM
MetalWolf's Avatar
MetalWolf MetalWolf is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tx.
Posts: 2,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
Thanks next time in kamloops I will have one or more if the Princess price is right otherwise it is off to china with my money.
And when you hit the pay button it gladly plays the money jingle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrEOZk23FzA
__________________
MetalWolf, AKA---- Metallic Shapeshifter-----

"Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones.... But Whips An Chains Excite Me"

"The best revenge is to be unlike your enemy"
Marcus Aurelius, "Meditation"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-23-2019, 03:42 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is offline
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 14,173
Default

House bound yesterday. Went out today and started a fire in the wood stove. Got the on/off switch and power supply installed. Got the wires all sorted out, tinned the ends and cut the shrink tube. Soldered up the wires and tested and all is good.

Next to mix some epoxy and decided to use 8 of the 1/4" x 1/16" magnets to attach to the bottom of the quill. Marked a dot with a sharpie and started dabbing the epoxy to the ring in 8 places. Grabbed a magnet and stuck it on. This is all being done on the mill table.

Put the next one on, grabbed the next magnet and CRAP the two I put on were slowly sliding towards each other. Took one off and cleaned off the epoxy and skipped to the next spot, all is good. Put on another one and it starts sliding because it in the T slot and it is sliding towards the steel. Crap!!! Sometimes more is not better.

Rotated the ring so every other one is above the steel. So got only four on. Now waiting for the epoxy to set. Not very warm in the shop as the wind is howling here and around 32F outside. Probably only 45F in the shop. Stoked up the stove and will go back in a half hour and see if the epoxy has set.

Likely only 4 of the magnets are sufficient anyway. Pics after I get it all attached and wires secured.
__________________
Chris

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.