Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 12-14-2018, 02:59 PM
SFT Historian

Just a note.
Its been decades ago when I purchased extra gears from HF having the extra sets allowed me to cut metric and odd ball thread pitches, somewhat tricky but doable.
there is slight errors but cutting less then 1" is acceptable in most cases.

Back then HF sent me a half set, I called and they told me keep what they sent me and sent me a second set.
It did take well over three months but I also ordered other gears and no doubt they had to come from china.

I think there maybe an after market gear which makes it better for cutting metric threads now.

I don't know if they updated the steel idler bushing but I made a split brass bushing, after the steel bushing seized and the plastic 80T gear split.
And you should allow some gear backlash when adjusting the idler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010500.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	148466  
Old 12-14-2018, 03:29 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

No luck on the gears, but I found the jaws and some other parts...

Have the wrenches and allens, the original tool holder and the degree wheel.

The live center and the chuck both have the special tapers for the minis. The dead center is a standard one for my 9x20 lathe, you can see the little tip on the back end that's "extra". I believe I have 2 chucks set up for it, as well as another one that's good but separated.

I've got one more box to check but that's what was easily accessible. I honestly never changed the gears, but I never tried to use it for threading either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clarkeparts.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	148467  

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 12-14-2018, 04:15 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post

The live center and the chuck both have the special tapers for the minis. The dead center is a standard one for my 9x20 lathe, you can see the little tip on the back end that's "extra". I believe I have 2 chucks set up for it, as well as another one that's good but separated.

I've got one more box to check but that's what was easily accessible. I honestly never changed the gears, but I never tried to use it for threading either.
That's easily a hunnerd dollars worth.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 12-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
That's easily a hunnerd dollars worth.
SHHHHHHH!!! Maybe I need to remove the price sheet I posted above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post

Keep me posted on the gears, Dub. Definitely interested in the jaws, hand tools and centers. Not so much the tool holder or degree wheel. I'm going to give the original owner one last call tonight...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 12-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Auction Addict

Give Banggood a try. Prices are good. Slow shipping, but free.

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman
Old 01-27-2019, 10:40 PM
Post Fiend

Smile Epilogue: Then there were 2, then 1 again...

Long story short: I picked up a "new" "open box" unit with goodies from Harbor Freight for $298 w/tax. Sold "old" unit sans goodies for $320. Thank you to Dub for offering up your "extra" parts but I don't think I will be needing them...

Long story long: While in the local HF earlier this month, I spotted a complete "open box" mini-lathe exactly like the one I owned. Still in crate and apparently unused with all my missing goodies, it was clearance priced at $426. I coughed up $456 w/tax and loaded it into my trunk with full intent of just selling the "old" unit for a mild profit and calling it a day.

With no one jumping to buy the old lathe, I had buyer's remorse and elected to return the new unit within the 5 (or 7?) day return period for open box items. So at the store, the manager was called and we went out to unload it from my trunk. He asked me why I was returning it and I said I decided I wasn't going to need it and that it hadn't been out of my trunk since purchased.

As a footnote, I should point out the discounts on open box items at HF are generally 20% every 2 weeks. This info came directly from the manager's mouth. So if you see an item about to turn 2 weeks since markdown, you can save some money by waiting a day or two if it is about to be marked down again. But when an item is returned, even open box, the discounts start anew. This was explained to me by the on-duty manager. Your local discount mileage may vary, but all the managers at this particular store are decent guys and gals and will work with you on open box pricing. Sometimes...

Standing there at my open trunk, where the lathe had been acting as a "trunk monkey" for the past week, I apologized for not being a good consumer considering they would have to put it out at the original discount (about $530). The manager then posed the question "How much off would it take for you to keep it?" "I don't know, I really don't need it" "How about $150?" "OK" and we shook hands. So for under $300 with tax, I had another mini-lathe... That is pic1.

I may be the only one on this forum that has ever owned TWO of the HF 7x10 mini-lathes at the same time! But knowing that many members here are afflicted with tool-collecting (hoarding), I wouldn't be surprised if there are some here that own THREE or more of these things! The scrap boards underneath assist in sliding the lathes on the bench. That is pic2.

I've since sold the "old" lathe to a retired machinist looking to tinker. I made a minuscule profit of $20 from it. I actually used it last week to turn a 1/8"x1/2" pin down to 3mm.

Pic3 shows the now included missing goodies as described in an earlier post.

Since I'm sure there are plenty of pics of the topsides of these lathes on the web, I've attached pics of the bottom sides which are more rare. Pic4 shows the bottom side before I painted the exposed rough cast iron. This is probably the technique used to install the bottom pan noting it is still in the shipping styrofoam. Pic5 shows the pan installed which I had to bang out a tiny bit from shipping tweakage. I also used some flat washers inside the foot pads that fit EXACTLY in the recess, but were lacking from the hardware and probably not included. Typical HF equipment needing mods before even being used...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1intrunk.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	149080   Click image for larger version

Name:	2minilathes.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	149081   Click image for larger version

Name:	goodies.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	149082   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottomsup.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	149083   Click image for larger version

Name:	panman.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	149084  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 01-27-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:06 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Ah you have it in a pan. Are you going to water it to see if it will grow
For what you spend they are both a great deal and a bad deal.
As long as you stay within the machines limits they are great.
Once you start to outgrow them you find yourself in a bottomless money pit
Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

Sorry again for being such a slowpoke, but I'm glad you got what you need to play with finally! I can't believe January is almost over. I can't see where any of the time has gone until I look at my billfold--so I reckon that's a good thing.

There was a time I'd planned out a system of manufacturing my old lure injectors where I'd wanted 3 different mini-lathes just to save setup time. They're not bad machines for what they are really, and have a lot of features that I wish I had taken advantage of. I really never learned how to use it all properly and now that my experience level is up, I wish I had.

Wade's Custom Kydex