Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 12-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Post Fiend

Question Where do I get accessories for HF #93212 Mini Lathe?

I picked up this Harbor Freight/Central Machinery #93212 7"x10" Mini Lathe a couple months ago from the original owner. In "like-new" condition, I thought it was worth $300. He had only turned Delrin bushings on it. It came with a chuck key, manual and that was about it. Retail is about $650 new.

Once back at the shop and looking over the manual, I realized there is at least one, maybe two boxes of "accessories" that should have come with it. Had I known, I probably would have had him look for the stuff while I was there. I text him about once a week asking if he has found the extras in his storage space but so far no luck (or effort?) on his part... I've even offered to pay him more $ if he finds them.

I HAVE used the machine as-is to shorten 40ish 1/2" Al rods about .040" and it worked well in that regard.

I know there is Little Machine Shop who sells gold-plated parts but I was wondering if anyone knows of a source that might be more reasonable? Referring to the illustration from a different, yet similar machine I am missing everything in the pic except for the chuck key. Stuff that is not easily sourced are the chuck jaws and change gears.

I did see someone selling a set of gears on Debay for $100ish but they sold quickly. I also called HF directly and was on hold over a half hour before I gave up waiting. I Emailed them also but am going on 3 days without a response or acknowledgment...

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minilathe.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	148450   Click image for larger version

Name:	accessories.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	148451  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 12-12-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Auction Addict

Set of gears.

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman
Old 12-12-2018, 06:58 PM

On the compatibility page you get.

Compatibility

This product works with the following lathes:

Harbor Freight 33684 Central Machinery 7x10 Mini Lathe
Harbor Freight 93212 Central Machinery 7x10 Mini Lathe
Bolton CQ9318 7x12 Mini Lathe
Cummins (Tools Now) 5278 7x12 Mini Lathe
Grizzly G8688 7x12 Mini Metal Lathe
Harbor Freight 93799 Central Machinery 7x12 Mini Lathe
Homier 03911 Speedway 7x12 Mini Bench Metal Lathe
SIEG C2 7x12 Mini Lathe
Tormach 30689 7x12 Duality Lathe
Warco 3004 7x12 Mini Lathe (Metric)
Warco 3005 7x12 Mini Lathe (Imperial)
Micro-Mark 82500 MicroLux 7x12 Mini Lathe
LittleMachineShop.com 4200 HiTorque 7x12 Deluxe Mini Lathe
LittleMachineShop.com 4100 HiTorque 7x12 Mini Lathe
Micro-Mark 82710 MicroLux 7x14 Mini Lathe
LittleMachineShop.com C3 SIEG 7x14 Mini Lathe
Big Dog BD-0618Ax300 7x14 Mini Lathe
Big Dog BD-0618x300 7x14 Mini Lathe
Warco 4820-350 7x14 Mini Lathe (Metric)
Warco 4800-350 7x14 Mini Lathe (Imperial)
Grizzly G0765 7x14 Mini Lathe
Micro-Mark 84631 MicroLux 7x16 Mini Lathe
LittleMachineShop.com 5200 HiTorque 7x16 Mini Lathe
LittleMachineShop.com 5100 HiTorque 7x16 Mini Lathe
SIEG C3 7x14 Mini Lathe

I would call Grizzly also but I don't know that they will be that much cheaper.

Don
Old 12-12-2018, 09:49 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

I wouldn't spend that kind of money for some things you may never
need.

Keep using it, and see what you have to have, make a list.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:33 AM
Roving Reporter

The M#2 dead centre is an industry standard. Many supply stores that stock cutting tools will have them.

The tools should be available from any hardware on or off line and of better quality. Probably metric.....

BTW, a better alternative is a live centre if you planning to turn between centres. Babysitting a dead centre while turning a shaft, etc is an extra distraction in mt experience.

+1 on the use the lathe and see what you need.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

I'll see what all I have left. I sold the dead remains of mine a couple years ago but I think I have the gears left in a drawer. I doubt the other set of jaws would do you any good unless they were matched to your chuck, but they might. Not sure about those either.

I will directly contradict what Cam posted above. The dead center is not 'standard', though it is a M2. It's actually shorter, on purpose, to fit in the workings of the tailstock. I'm positive that I have that piece. Let me see what I've got left and I bet we can arrange some sorta trade.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 12-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Armchair Webbie

Micromark also sells accessories. They're pretty pricey too, though.

Dave
Old 12-14-2018, 10:15 AM
Post Fiend

Thanks for the info, people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Thanks, Chris. I guess I missed that set. HF finally Emailed me back (attachment below) and their gear set, priced individually, comes to $32 but is 8-10 weeks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
I wouldn't spend that kind of money for some things you may never need.
90% of the members here (a guesstimate), me and Confucius say: "It is better to have a tool and not need it, than to need a tool and not have it..." How many of us have a virgin, unused tool we "just had to have" sitting in the tool box? And I'm not talking a 9mm combo wrench that came in a set (for example) although I HAVE used one of those...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
I'll see what all I have left. I sold the dead remains of mine a couple years ago but I think I have the gears left in a drawer. I doubt the other set of jaws would do you any good unless they were matched to your chuck, but they might. Not sure about those either.

I will directly contradict what Cam posted above. The dead center is not 'standard', though it is a M2. It's actually shorter, on purpose, to fit in the workings of the tailstock. I'm positive that I have that piece. Let me see what I've got left and I bet we can arrange some sorta trade.
Thanks for looking, Dub. I'm sure a trade of sorts could work for both of us. PM what you have... I think a set of external jaws would be a worthy "investment" and I don't think they could be any worse performing than the ones that are in it now--that is one gritty feeling chuck! I'm going to send the original owner another text and/or maybe call him and say "last call". It is about a 20min drive to get to him... And thanks for the info on the dead center.

I agree with you Cam, and HF lists a live center for $14 but "special order". I'm going to take another look at Little Machine Shop again--I don't mind spending a little more for quicker gratification.

No one will dispute this little lathe "is what it is" but if it can save me time or money as it has already, it will be worth it. About a year ago I paid $30 for this bushing. LINK It DID work for the application but I couldn't help thinking "I could have made that for pennies!" I made careful measurements before I installed it "just in case".

PS: the way I figure it, if I get out of this spending another $100, I'm still ahead of the game and could EASILY sell it for what I have into it...

PPS: I noticed THIS...

PPPS: I DID buy about $20 worth of cheap tooling from the local HF. Pretty much whatever they stocked. Took a little searching amongst the drill bits and such on the shelves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hforder.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	148464  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 12-14-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:44 AM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post

The point is the Morse tapers are industry standard and widely available cheap. Unlike my antique lineshaft lathe that has an obsolete taper of unknown type in the tailstock.

A cheap, off the shelf dead centre can be customized with a little time and effort once purchased. Turning a new part to match the bastard taper on my old antique can also be done, but can be a painful excercise in trial and error for a less seasoned machinist.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Armchair Webbie

There is a wealth of info and tips about these lathes on www.minilathe.com.
He also, has a youtube channel; Frank Hoose.

According to him, the Harbor Freight 7x10 is actually, only 7x8. "Hazzard Fraught," does some creative stretching of the truth to label that lathe a 7x10.

Little Machine Shop used to offer replacement beds to convert it into a 7x12 or 7x14. Don't know if they're still available or not.

Last winter, I bought a new 7x14 off of ebay for $450 with free shipping. I have yet, to make a single chip with it. I keep using my ancient South Bend for quicky little jobs. This winter for sure, I'll get to the new one.

Dave