Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 04-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

Default Epic Harbor Freight Customer Service Failure

I started a second post on this, because I think HF earned this negative thread. This cleaner has taken a nasty turn worthy of note.

So I bought the 2.6 quart ultrasonic cleaner 95563 about 6 months back. Girl says to me at the register, 2 year warranty, is $19.99. She goes on to say, you dont need the receipt to exchange it, or the warranty paper work either, just bring the old one, no questions, you only need to provide your phone number, and we hand you a new model.

So yesterday, I had the girl friend return it, because my closest HF is 35 miles and close to where she works. I cleaned it, put everything back in the bags, just the way it came out of the box, it had so little use, it looked brand new. Was also in its original box/paperwork. Girlfriend had the original register receipt, and the extended warranty pamphlet with transaction number on it.

They had no new machines to exchange it with, but if I wanted to, I could drive to Wisconsin, and exchange it, they dont do store to store transfers (in other words, its my problem).

She had to fill out paper work to return it. She then asked for a refund, and they would not refund the warranty $19.99, because it was not their fault they could not replace it, it was my fault ? WTF ? Anyhow, she said it took 35 minutes to sort it out, and included the store manager.

They where insistent on wanting to know how I "broke" it. She called it an "interrogation", but that is of course an exaggeration. All I used it for was cleaning 50pcs of 5.56 brass at at time. It started making weird noises, would not turn off, and then just stopped working. I think I cleaned about 200pcs of brass in total. Not a very good life span there, eh ?

Anyhow, from what the girl I bought it from, to what had to take place to remedy the POS, that is where the problem is. I knew I was buying garbage, that is why I bought the warranty. The "bring it in for an exchange, no questions asked" to a 35 minute ordeal that netted no cleaner, and I took a $20 hit on the chin, leaves me less than pleased. Although it is HF, so its not a shocker, but I thought should be shared none the less.

Anyhow, the moral of this post, if your shopping at HF, and buy a warranty, let it be known, it may not go as planned. I paid $20 to let you know !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HF ultrasonic cleaner.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	104207   Click image for larger version

Name:	HF ultrasonic cleaner 1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	104208   Click image for larger version

Name:	HF reciept.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	104209  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Gold Star Dad

Seems like if they replace/repair the product or give you your money back, they deem the extended warranty plan "fulfilled". So you did use the plan.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
Seems like if they replace/repair the product or give you your money back, they deem the extended warranty plan "fulfilled". So you did use the plan.
If I understand your question, no I didnt use the plan, only because they had no cleaner to provide me, which is what she was there to do, exchange the broke unit for a working unit. The broke unit was the originally purchased unit. I wanted another unit, not my money back.

My choices where to drive to Wisc, to get one (they where not even sure about that, but Im not spending $50 or more in gas plus my time for this POS), or leave with the broken unit with a worthless warranty, or ask for my money back. It appears to me, that I did my part, I paid for the unit, I paid for the warranty, and they could not fulfill there end of the deal, I dont see how Im supposed to forfeit the warranty cost because they dont and wont provide the product. If I had just wanted my money back, then Id see it in a different light. I just wanted an exchange, Ive still got brass to clean !, which is why I bought the warranty.

As of last night, Ive already started looking for another one, I need a cleaner, not broken cleaners with broken warranties.

Last edited by Windy_Acres; 04-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Gold Star Dad

What I meant was that if you were in the extended warranty period, then those SOBs regard your getting your money back a use of the extended plan. Cheeky. If it was still covered by the original warranty (30, 60, 90 days?), then they should have refunded that, too. They work with a third-party company to do this...
Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Boiler God

I've never bought anything electric or electronic that was worth a shit, the sockets, ratchets, hydraulic press, pneumatic tools and other non electrical stuff has been fine. Considering I lost 3 brand name ultrasonic cleaners, due to electrical failures, HF would be the last place I look for one.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
What I meant was that if you were in the extended warranty period, then those SOBs regard your getting your money back a use of the extended plan. Cheeky. If it was still covered by the original warranty (30, 60, 90 days?), then they should have refunded that, too. They work with a third-party company to do this...
Ok, I follow you now, yes, that might be how they "process it" and It aint the $20, its insult to injury. Had I used the thing within the 90 day standard warranty, I would have returned under that warranty, because it didnt have 2hrs on it when it puked, but it sat for months before I got around to using it.

I just noticed last night that RCBS has a new model, that has good reviews, and a 2 year warranty, I just ordered it while weve been chit chatting. $140. Its a 1/3rd larger.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/649...ProductDescrip

Ive got all but one die and two crimp dies that are RCBS, and two times Ive contacted them for parts, one I broke, the other I lost, and in my emails I asked to buy the parts, told them that I broke the one, and lost other (two different events in time). They sent me both, gratis, no shipping, no charge, nodda, nothing, said it was covered under warranty. So I figure they are into "good faith" customer relations, I will give their unit a try. Should be here Friday or Monday, got it from Midway, everyone else appears to be out of stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rcbs ultrasonic cleaner.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	104210  

Last edited by Windy_Acres; 04-09-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I've never bought anything electric or electronic that was worth a shit, the sockets, ratchets, hydraulic press, pneumatic tools and other non electrical stuff has been fine. Considering I lost 3 brand name ultrasonic cleaners, due to electrical failures, HF would be the last place I look for one.
I typically would not buy anything electric from Hobo Freight (dont think I ever have either), but I did the math this way, basically I thought I was buying the use of a cleaner for $120 for 730 days (2 year warranty) at a cost of $.16 per day, and at the end of two years, if it still worked that was a bonus, but as you can see, that didnt work out.

Its not like there is allot to choose from in cleaners, unless your ready to spend some money, and you cant just run and "pick one up" anywhere. I assume anything I can afford will come from china and be a piece of shit anyway, so I was making what I thought was a best gamble, and it didnt work out.

Im sharing this story, in the event to save someone else the miss step I took, that and Im pissed, that my plan did not work.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Elite Member

Do you, still, have the original receipts for the purchase of the cleaner and the warranty? If so, call the store and tell them that their lawyer needs to brush himself up on answering consumer fraud charges. Then, be prepared to make good on the threat.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post

Im sharing this story, in the event to save someone else the miss step I took, that and Im pissed, that my plan did not work.
Bear in mind that your experience very probably is only an issue of one store and their individual policy and does not necessarily reflect on the company as a whole.
IOW's, store owners have a lot of autonomy in how they do business.
I say this because my own experience with the local store has been the opposite of yours.

I've never had any warranty claim disputed at the Harbor Freight here.
In fact, I dropped in one day to buy something I needed for a nearby job that had nothing to do with the chipped jaws on the little throatless shear I had bought & thought to mention it to one of the managers. He handed me replacement jaws even though I didn't have the bad ones with me, and he said, "Just drop the old ones off sometime if you think about it."

I wouldn't want to buy anything from your store and I agree that they just made up a policy on the spot to screw you out of 20 bucks, but I have no reason to hold your experience against the store 5 miles from my house.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 04-09-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopmonkey View Post
Do you, still, have the original receipts for the purchase of the cleaner and the warranty? If so, call the store and tell them that their lawyer needs to brush himself up on answering consumer fraud charges. Then, be prepared to make good on the threat.
I have the original receipt, they held onto the warranty pamphlet. For $20, it aint worth the bother. They could not provide a date or even know if they where getting any in stock in the future, so I was given the option to wait it out, but it was on me to "check back in". They offered a rain check, whatever for, I have no idea, she asked if they would hold it until it could be picked up, and they said no, they would put it on the shelf, which left me totally confused, at to what the rain check was supposed to do.