Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 08-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

Default Horse/stock trailer plans?

Even used 'simple' horse trailers are going for crazy prices around here. And the ones I can afford would require at least 4x the cost of the trailer to get them road worth to my satisfaction. So, this time it might actually be cheaper to build than buy. I've priced out what I think the metal would be, but I sure don't know about all the safety gimmicks and tricks used to keep the animals from hurting themselves.

Thinking I need a set of plans, or at least sneaking out to the trailer lots with my cell phone and taking some spy photos. Anyone ever tackled a horse trailer build? Tips? Suggestions? Maybe even a set of plans?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Post Fiend

Suggestions? Yah, sell the horse!

What size/style/type of trailer are you looking at? How many horseses?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:02 AM
Curmudgeon

I have the simplest, most efficient plan you'll ever see.

I plan to never, ever need a horse or a horse trailer.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 AM
7.5 Fingers

Send a message via AIM to migwelder05

But Texas had all the good stock trailers down there, it hard to find any good ones around here unless there brand new. Everyone keeps the good ones to them selfs.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence."
Old 08-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Well, I really never planned to have need for a horse trailer either. But, daughters being what they are, we're stuck with the darn things now . So far we havn't had a need for a trailer except when we picked up the mini-horse. The little filly came with free delivery.

The farrier and vet both do housecalls and the prices aren't too bad, certainly cheaper than owning another piece of equipment. I've tried to do the whole barter thing to get one and the only deals I've come close to making were for some beat-up goosenecks. Since I don't have a pickup that runs/drives, that's been a hard trade for everybody. It'd have to be awfully nice for me to make a deal on one.

I'm thinking a smaller, 2-horse rig would be just fine. I'd like to have it where the divider walls would pull out or fold away so it wouldn't be too difficult for using it for other purposes. I'd like it bumper pull, tandem axle, with an extended storage/tack/dressing area up front. That kid and her grandma already has collected more tack and saddles than I can keep up with. I did a little searching and found a couple last night on the 'net.

1) Elmer Gaeddert

2) Ag Extension sets #5943 There's a lot in this list though and I gathered up more than a few printouts last night for different stuff. Careful what you click on or you just might end up building something.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

I bought a Mid 1990's, 20' goose neck Bison Brand stock trailer last year for $350. Even with a brand new tire on it. Figured I could not go wrong, Im pretty sure its worth that much on the scale.. yeah, its got rust, but it moves cattle real nice, and I really liked the price.

Pretty sure I could not build it for the price of three tires. One of the reasons, I LOVE auctions...

Last edited by Windy_Acres; 08-27-2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: added
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
I'm thinking a smaller, 2-horse rig would be just fine. I'd like to have it where the divider walls would pull out or fold away so it wouldn't be too difficult for using it for other purposes. I'd like it bumper pull, tandem axle, with an extended storage/tack/dressing area up front. That kid and her grandma already has collected more tack and saddles than I can keep up with. I did a little searching and found a couple last night on the 'net.
We also have that trailer, but its a 3 horse, with a tack room up front, the whole trailer, less the tongue is aluminum. Has Dexter torsion axles, brakes on 4 corners, is a "sundowner" brand. It was north of $15k when new about 7 years back. Nice trailer, pulls nice. Its a bumper pull, its pretty light when empty, but just its cube, is like pulling a parachute when its empty.

They are fine for moving other stuff around, but in the event your new to stock trailers, you may not be aware, that a horse trailer is actually a laxative for horses. Dont ask me why, does not matter who's horse, time of day or anything, but you put a horse in a trailer, the first thing they do is take a shit. Usually within a minute or two of stepping into the trailer, sometimes only seconds.

Anyhow, if you plan on using it for utility purposes, plan on cleaning it out regularly (with a hose, not just a rake). They will pee while in there too, it never fails, Ive moved allot of horses, I cant ever remember one that didnt take a dump, while in the trailer. They can take a dump in the pasture, 5 minutes later, you put them in the trailer, and somehow, they will will find it to take another dump.

Last edited by Windy_Acres; 08-27-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Smile

You mentioned a dual use trailer, that sounds good. Not knowing what may catch your eye. What about a toy hauler? There's lots of room for dressing, cooking, sleeping, eating, what do you think? Just build a couple rooms in the back. You'll have a built in ramp ready for the stallion.

If you don't have a truck, just go to the junkyard and pick up an old front wheel trans-axel and engine. Now you'll be able to drive from the kitchen table.

Don't have building plans, no problem you just need a couple carpenter tools.

Sounds like it has everything you asked for. It's okay to use my idea, No Problem-O.

Last edited by Vern2; 08-27-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Tuned-Up Big Builder

Start with some good 3" channel iron and lots of $$$$$ for the main frame and go from there.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 PM

That's part of my thought process here too Torch. My old carhauler was built by a horse trailer company that tried to branch out into other stuff. The frame never has been 'right' and I've thought a hundred times about how to re-do it correctly. The 3" channel that it's built out of just doesn't equate when it comes to hauling cars or equipment.

Matter of fact, I started a rebuild thread on it last year or further back when all the decking fell off. I hacked the dovetail off and that's as far as I got with it. So, I've got a 18' frame, 83" wide at the outside rails, with tandem axles and brakes. I've hauled 4 cars on it in recent years, and one was Cutter's Z-car and the other was his son's Fiero. It'd be handy but I just don't need it. For carrying around building materials and such I think I'd be just as well off with a stock trailer. Of course, I know as soon as I make it where I can't haul a car or tractor, I'll need a trailer to do that .

I'm thinking of just adding uprights, angling the nose at the front to be a bit more aerodynamic, and sheeting it out where necessary. I'm already a huge fan of the stall mats out in my shop, won't hurt my feelings a bit to buy a couple more to throw down for poop control. Strangely, I've noticed the laxative effect they have on horses as well. With my limited horse experience though, I don't know which "features" are worth designing into a project like this.