Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-20-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Grizzly Model G9742

Hey all, we are looking at bandsaws for our shop for some motorsport fabrication use. this one would suit us perfectly as its footprint is so small, space is a bit limited right now, my question is about the usefulness of this saw with it lacking a vertical option? are we going to regret this down the road?
would it be possible, if anyone has seen this saw in person to make a vertical table for it? if so then this is the saw for us.

thanks for all info.

seth

ps heres a link to the saw at grizzlys site
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G9742
Old 04-20-2005, 08:59 PM
North West Redneck

Hi Tigger. I have a cheaper version of that saw. I’ve had it for about 15-years. If you give me 10 or 15-minutes, I think I can find it in my dad’s barn. I never was fond of a metal cutting saw that didn’t have coolant. Other than a port-a-band. For only a $160.00 more you can move up to the G4030 saw, it will go vertical, and has coolant. I have a 7” x 12” Grizzly saw, G137-3175. I made a different stand, and removed the wheels. I keep my saw in the range of my over head crane, just rig it with 2-rope chokers and move it where I want. I think you’ll be kicking yourself in the a$$ later down the road if you buy that saw, just my 2-cents
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	3759  
Old 04-21-2005, 12:45 AM

Tigger,
You need to remove the top bolt on the hydraulic strut and replace it with a hitch pin and it'll go vertical. You'll also need to fab a table.
This info is gleaned from the 4x6 yahoo group.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:45 AM

Default coolant

now the specs on grizzly's site list a coolant pump and a sump for said coolant pump...is this incorrect?

seth
Old 04-21-2005, 08:27 AM
North West Redneck

Hi Tigger, I was going by their 2005 catalog. I might be missing it, because I do that all the time, but here I scanned the page for you. You see if you see a pump offered. I seen this before with Grizzly, if I’m correct, you better call before ordering! To make sure you get what you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G9742.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	3762  
Old 04-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pile Buck
I seen this before with Grizzly, if I’m correct, you better call before ordering! To make sure you get what you want.
Pile Buck, Your advice is 110% correct...before ordering anything from Grizzly make sure you call ahead. I've got a large metal cutting bandsaw from them that was listed in the catalog as being both a horz. & a vert. model. After having to tear down the shipping crate to get the saw into daylight I found that it was a horz. model only. A quick call to Grizzly revealed that although it had been listed in a two week old catalog as a horz/vert model it hadn't been such a model in 3-4 years. They did say that if I wasn't happy with it to just ship it back...on MY dime. I won't even go into their much advertised parts inventory...when they never were able to even provide blades for this same saw..."send it back if you aren't happy with it."
Old 04-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Wyoming

Tigger, Not to sound too down on Grizzly...they do give you a good, cheap starting point on your equipment purchases. I am happy with that large Grizzly bandsaw...though I would be happier if I was able to access a source for bi-metal blades, but I really don't need them that often. I have a friend.co-worker with the saw you have listed in your link...it has become a good saw, but straight from Grizzly it was not ready to do work...badly warped table. Grizzly tends to subsidize their shipping to you and than you are more or less stuck with the results unless you care to spend the money to ship the item back. For the large bandsaw I ordered the cost of re-crating and shipping would have been on the order of $500. Not a chunk of change I would have been happy to spend in order not to have the saw sitting on my shop floor or to start over at step one again.

Would I buy more Grizzly tools...you bet, but I would do it knowing that I would be the one chasing parts for it as well as modifying it in order for it to work. As always...your mileage may vary...some will tell you in glowing terms that Grizzly is better than sliced bread...it may well be for them...just wish I had been lucky enough to get the right slice right out of the gate like them.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Elite Member

X-ray has one. The worst thing about it is the size of stock you can cut with it.
I looked at one at the WA. store last year. It's built pretty well, not a bad little saw.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Elite Member

I have an Ellis model 1600 that's a dry cut machine, it's blade is 1" wide .037 thick, I buy only bi metal variable tooth blades for it. I screwed a few blades up in the beginning by trying to make fancy cuts that couldn't be held properly, but actual blade life has never been an issue. The Ellis 1600 has been a wonderful saw, if I needed another saw or a bigger saw I wouldn't hesitate, I'd go right back to Ellis.

http://www.ellissaw.com/bandsaws/1600.shtml

Last edited by tackit; 04-21-2005 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 04-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackit
I have an Ellis model 1600 that's a dry cut machine, it's blade is 1" wide .037 thick, I buy only bi metal variable tooth blades for it. I screwed a few blades up in the beginning by trying to make fancy cuts that couldn't be held properly, but actual blade life has never been an issue. The Ellis 1600 has been a wonderful saw, if I needed another saw or a bigger saw I wouldn't hesitate, I'd go right back to Ellis.

http://www.ellissaw.com/bandsaws/1600.shtml

The Ellis is the reason I have not bought a bigger bandsaw yet. I know it's what I want, and the rest will be a disappointment.