Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-04-2019, 05:40 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl View Post
The Hougen cutters I found on Amazon last week that were 2.375" were around $300! The one that Dan found is the "cheap" version at $158.00, but they were the correct size. I have only three holes to bore but the thickness is what is going to tax the cutter.
If you go with a carbide it will not tax the cutter near as much, just your wallet.

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Old 02-04-2019, 06:57 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
The Hougen cutters I found on Amazon last week that were 2.375" were around $300! The one that Dan found is the "cheap" version at $158.00, but they were the correct size. I have only three holes to bore but the thickness is what is going to tax the cutter.
You'll learn about Amazon.....someday. Deduct 30+ percent for American price.
Canada Machine Shop
$128 Canadian

$177 Canadian

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 02-04-2019, 10:10 PM
Elite Member

Default Boring a 2.5 hole with a Hougen mag drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
If you go with a carbide it will not tax the cutter near as much, just your wallet.

I’m not sure I agree with this statement. Carbide will definitely last longer, but it usually does not get as sharp as high speed steel. Usually you need to feed it harder because it likes to be bogged down. But needs more horsepower to keep up.

I am applying my knowledge from using carbide tooling on the lathe to this situation, so I might be wrong.

Now, I have not used a carbide tipped annular cutter. We only used regular high speed steel ones. I have been known to hand sharpen them up to keep them cutting when needed too. They work the best when all teeth are cutting at the same time, but they will still cut if you only have one tooth cutting. One sharp tooth outdoes 8 dull ones any day, no matter what my boss thought.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden

Last edited by toprecycler; 02-04-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:34 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
I bought mine off amazon prime I'd have to look at the price on my purchased items on amazon but if, I can remember my password... It was a cheapy carbide annulated cutter and I want to say it was only 128.00 or 138.00 bucks.

I am happy with the results from using it... just be sure to be generous with the cooling cutting fluid I got a gallon of that cool-blu and its supposed to make 40 gallons of cooling fluid when diluted it was 40 bucks at the local tooling supplier here

but I do believe when you look at the offers on amazon if you buy this add somewhere on the page for this much type offer just below the pics of the cutter is other offers to sweeten the purchases and the cutting fluid as well just a different brand I think...

"Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones.... But Whips An Chains Excite Me"

"The best revenge is to be unlike your enemy"
Marcus Aurelius, "Meditation"
Old 02-05-2019, 10:12 AM
Roving Reporter

I've been tempted for a long time to make a shopbuild line boring setup. In fact, I have a prototype based on a 1" bar laying around the shop waiting on inspiration on a feed/ drive mechanism to strike.

Kieth Fenner has a couple of line boring videos on shopmade rigups that use spherical seat self aligning bearings. Doesn't help that the local discount store (Princess Auto) puts those bearings on sale for less than 15$ each for sizes up to 1"....

The main advantage is cost. A 3$ 1/4" x 2 1/2" HSS blank will bore any size from the bar size to 4". Speeds, feeds, and cutting oils might be issues.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:10 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

My concern with a 2.5" but would be rpm. I have a Chinese mag drill with a 500 rpm, and I think it is too fast for a larger bit. But if patience and cutting fluid are applied it can be done.

I bought some of the larger rotabroaches, and a MT#3 adapter, so I can use them in the gearhead drill press and in the tailstock of the lathe. I can see a reduction in boring bar time.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green

Last edited by Ironman; 02-05-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:13 AM
I can dig it

I’ve seen and used a couple home brew setups Cam, a common way is to use a mag drill to power it, and carefully hand feed it.

For a lot of high end portable machining check out https://www.climaxportable.com/

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 PM

Default Boring a 2.5 hole with a Hougen mag drill

Gerry, thanks for the tip re: Canada Machine Shop.
They were not showing up on my radar, and they are not far from me.
Tks again.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:25 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
...My concern with a 2.5" but would be rpm. I have a Chinese mag drill with a 500 rpm, and I think it is too fast for a larger bit...
Recommended RPM range for a 2-1/2" rotabroach would be 125-150. I would run it even slower. We have used rotabroaches for years--I know I have some that are 30+ years old and still going strong--and the one thing we figured out a long time ago is that slower is better. They still make holes pretty fast but they also last a lot longer.

Quote:
...I can see a reduction in boring bar time...
I use them all the time in the milling machine and the lathe--they're a huge timesaver. Any time I can make a hole with a rotabroach that's the way to go. For many things you don't need to touch the hole afterwards. At one time we had them up to 3-1/4" but the bigger ones all seem to have disappeared...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
At one time we had them up to 3-1/4" but the bigger ones all seem to have disappeared...

They are around.. I use Nitto Kohki cutters in my auto feed mag drill, but it stops at 1-3/8 inch X 2 inch

I have been using the Carbide in this brand for my Mill.. Excellent too ,3 inch depth mostly

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016JBITQ...lig_dp_it&th=1