Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 01-17-2019, 11:46 AM
The Real Deal

Thank's for sharing, I have never messed with king pins. When pressing the bushings in weren't you taking a chance of some bending without a support between the ears especially with a .004 interference fit?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:16 PM
Elite Member

Yes very nice job Kieth

"Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones.... But Whips An Chains Excite Me"

"The best revenge is to be unlike your enemy"
Marcus Aurelius, "Meditation"
Old 01-17-2019, 01:22 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
...In case you are going to make a new career of this king pin work, I have a Sunnen honing machine just like in the video, you may need it for production...I got it because it is capable of removing .0001" at a time for precision fitting, but never use it any more. Want to get rid of it...
Tempting. But it sounds like Greywynd is interested--he'll probably have more use for it than me. I haven't done a job like that in 25 years, possibly more, and I will likely never do another. Let him have it. It can take up his storage space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
...When pressing the bushings in weren't you taking a chance of some bending without a support between the ears especially with a .004 interference fit?
Yeah, they were tight and I did see a minute amount of flex in the steering knuckle but they are big and beefy; I'm sure it would take more than that to actually bend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Yes very nice job Kieth
Thank you kind sir--just another day at the office, so to speak. That's one of the main reasons that I like jobbing work. Lots of variety and you never know from one day to the next what's going to be showing up. Can be both a blessing and a curse............if you know what I mean...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 01-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Still have the hone Gerry? Hmmmm.

Nice work Keith.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Ooops, oh yeah, we PM'ed about that years ago....well shipping is less expensive now

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 01-17-2019, 05:23 PM
I can dig it

Shipping will be cheaper, space though is now a premium! Lol!

Have to do something this spring to expand. Just haven’t figured out what just yet.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:07 PM
Elite Member

Gerry
I still have my machine or should say my tool guy still has it said he could not sell it but is still trying.... im now thinking i should get it back hang on to it and rent it out.... an I say rent it out here with a spot for whom ever wants to replace their king pins because it sure is a job i don't want to do
or maybe only rent it out to specific people i know who will return it....

It seems he could not sell it to the front end shops who do this sort of work because they said there is not much call for it any more and they just replace the whole spindel with already fitted king pins... I don't know that the be fact but just what he said he was told

but I too would rather not even mess with the machine or king pins at all...

"Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones.... But Whips An Chains Excite Me"

"The best revenge is to be unlike your enemy"
Marcus Aurelius, "Meditation"
Old 01-24-2019, 06:05 AM

Haha, I just did a .004 press fit last week. I was able to assemble it with a few taps from a big ball peen hammer, no really, just taps.

I did cheat a little though, I set the inner part outside on my forklift tire (-35F) for an hour or so and set the outer piece on top of the wood stove in my shop.

20 above here today, so I might have had to push a bit harder to assemble them if I'd waited.

“The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity” Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-24-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabberMcGee View Post
Haha, I just did a .004 press fit last week. I was able to assemble it with a few taps from a big ball peen hammer, no really, just taps.

I did cheat a little though, I set the inner part outside on my forklift tire (-35F) for an hour or so and set the outer piece on top of the wood stove in my shop.

20 above here today, so I might have had to push a bit harder to assemble them if I'd waited.
A little bit of heat can make a huge difference. There's always a bit of "pucker factor" though--even though you know it's gonna work or the book says it's gonna work there's always that small chance that something will go wrong and you end up with piece only half way in. Been there done that. A .004" press fit is pretty tight but it is related to the diameter of the parts as well. If we were talking about something 12" in diameter .004" wouldn't be all that tight. What I was working with was much smaller.

What allowed me to use that tight a fit on this job was the fact that the bushing was only about .090" thick so it would shrink in size a bit as it was pressed in. Had it been a solid chunk of material .004" would have been extremely tight and I would have had to use some heat and shrink fit it...

Old 01-24-2019, 02:02 PM
I can dig it

Twenty five years ago we did a bunch of special copper bus bar parts. There was a shaft about 12-14” long, pressed into a rectangular bar that was likely 3x3 and about a foot long.

The diameter of the shaft where it was pressed in was about an inch, and I think it was an almost .020” interference.

The procedure was to immerse the shaft in liquid nitrogen for 20 minutes, then it was pressed in with a fixture in a hydraulic press. If you stopped partway it was scrap, the shaft would expand too much and would be locked in place.

We’d cut the shaft, and drill the slug out to save and reuse the bar at least.

I still have a piece of copper from a scrap shaft that I use as a knocker/hammer.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
...If you stopped partway it was scrap, the shaft would expand too much and would be locked in place...
Yeah, when you're dealing with fits that tight there are no second chances. It has to go together in one smooth--and quick--operation or you're toast. Sometimes recovery is possible; sometimes a miss-fire is a very costly mistake. Don't ask me how I know...