Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-22-2021, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
YES!!! It is called the The Decimal System! Instead of fractions, we divide the inch into multiples of ten! So 1/10" is 1 divided by 10 which is 0.10" and so on... Brilliant!

PS: and if we need to convert fractions to decimals we only need to divide the top number (numerator) by the bottom number (denominator). For example 1/2 is 1 divided by 2 equals 5 divided by 10 which equals 0.50. It is so simple, even a European could do it...

I’m forever grateful that my phone calculator can convert everything to a decimal for me. After three years of working mainly decimals, and some metrics about 20% of the time, I’m almost starting to get used to realizing how big a metric piece is in my mind when I look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 05-22-2021, 12:11 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
I’m forever grateful that my phone calculator can convert everything to a decimal for me.
I challenge everyone here to do some long division once in a while. Knowing this may be helpful when the Chinese pop off some HEMPS overhead destroying the electrical grid and sensitive electrical devices...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 05-22-2021, 01:35 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I challenge everyone here to do some long division once in a while. Knowing this may be helpful when the Chinese pop off some HEMPS overhead destroying the electrical grid and sensitive electrical devices...

For more ‘fun’ try trigonometry using trig tables (if you can find some) and paper.

I still do it that way time to time, not many people I know younger than me that even know what a trig table is.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:32 AM
Elite Member

I'll admit I haven't used a trig table in quite while and there is another little book I'll probably not use ever, but it sure was handy back a long time ago.
"Tables of Integrals and other Mathematical Data" by Dwight. There is a trig table in the Appendix so if I need one it's easy to find. That book got me through Integral Calculus in 1955. It was recommended to me by a friend, a senior engineer at the place I worked. Math has always been fairly easy till I hit differential equations, but that was a lot later in life when I had been out of school for a long time. :-)
...lew...
Old 05-23-2021, 01:55 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
light bulb tubes are like that, T-8 = 1 inch, T-12 = 1-1/4 inch

Scott
Correction, T12 is 1 1/2".
Old 05-23-2021, 02:35 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
Correction, T12 is 1 1/2".
Thank you.

Scott
Old 05-23-2021, 08:48 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
For more ‘fun’ try trigonometry using trig tables (if you can find some) and paper.
I believe my pocket ref has trig tables in it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pocketref.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	160459  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 05-24-2021, 04:04 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post

I still do it that way time to time, not many people I know younger than me that even know what a trig table is.

We used to have a book lovingly reffered to as the Smoleys. It was trig tables and all other manner of mathematical formulas useful for our profession. I can't remember the last time I've seen one.

I'm one of the few guys I know left in my work circle that can do descriptive geometry (I could probably even do it by hand if I had to). An example of this would be making a wraparound pipe template for coping a pipe into another pipe or other object. Any size into any other size at any angle or offset. Anyone here able to do that? Another example is laying out transitions like a square to round.

Sent from my mobile device using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 05-24-2021, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
We used to have a book lovingly reffered to as the Smoleys. It was trig tables and all other manner of mathematical formulas useful for our profession. I can't remember the last time I've seen one.

I'm one of the few guys I know left in my work circle that can do descriptive geometry (I could probably even do it by hand if I had to). An example of this would be making a wraparound pipe template for coping a pipe into another pipe or other object. Any size into any other size at any angle or offset. Anyone here able to do that? Another example is laying out transitions like a square to round.

Sent from my mobile device using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

I have made wraparounds for pipe using my computer cad system. Back when I used to make handrails. It’s been a while, and I would have a big learning curve to do it again.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 05-24-2021, 07:45 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
I have made wraparounds for pipe using my computer cad system. Back when I used to make handrails. It’s been a while, and I would have a big learning curve to do it again.

I thought I remember you saying that when we were up at David's place. I don't have to do it for work anymore with the 3D software we have, but I still do it now and then just to keep fresh. I'd have some re-learning to do on some of the more complex ones, but I'm confident I could pull it off.