Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:

Old 03-04-2012, 02:45 AM

Default New Motor and Drum Switch

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I needed to replace the motor and reversing drum switch on an Atlas 10 Bench Lathe that I have owned for about 40 years and it was well used when I purchased it.

The problem I am having is wiring the new motor and reversing switch. In my ignorance I thought I could do the job myself. I live in a relatively small town without any industry to speak of except maybe farming / ranching. My efforts to obtain help from a qualified local electrician have been unsucessful.

Is there anyone out there based on the photos provided offer any suggestions on how to make the required connections. Bottom line I am a real novice at this end of things and still need to purchase a power supply cord, non-metallic flex conduit and possibly some extra 12 ga stranded wire.

The motor is 1HP, 110/220 volt, single phase, the reversing drum switch capacity is for 1.5/2.0 HP, 110/220 volt, single phase, 20 amps. The goal is to wire this new equipment for 220 volt service. Also nothing is similiar between the old motor and switch and the newly purchased items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor 1.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	88160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor 2.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	88161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Info.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	88162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch 1.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	88163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch 2.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	88164  

Old 03-04-2012, 04:09 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Never fear, Shelly. The motorheads will be dropping in manana.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 AM

Shelly,

You need to show us the wiring diagram for the switch. The motor wiring is pretty straight forward, so the piece you're missing is the wiring of the switch between the line voltage coming in and the motor. Unfortunately, the wiring diagram for the switch is not showing.

Dwayne
Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 AM

This is assuming 240v 1 phase.....and forward is CW rotation.

L1 = Incoming Line 1
L2 = Incoming Line 2

T1 = Red Motor Lead
T2 = White Motor Lead
12 = Blue #5 motor lead
8 = Blue #6 motor lead

If CCW is forward rotation then swap the blue wires

This is a diagram from the manufactures website....check to be sure though.

Good Luck...

Edited because of DrBob and terry lingle enlightening me that they did in fact switch the Blue #5 and #6. I should have know this but it was before my coffee......

Steve

Last edited by MiPilot; 03-05-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:00 AM

Also in the motor connection block...it is wired for 115v now.

Connect the Black, Yellow, #5 Blue to the left most terminal.

Then separate the Red, White and #6 Blue and connect them on each of the remaining terminals.

This is where you would connect your wires leading to the switch.

Steve
Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 AM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Default Reversing Setup

Shelly, In order to reverse the direction of this motor in 115VAC operation, you need to switch the leads labled BLUE 5 and BLUE6. In order to reverse in 230VAC operation, you need to switch BLUE6 between the RED and WHITE leads.

You need two switches. One will REVERSE the motor, the other will turn it ON or OFF.

First, decide whether you want to run it on 115VAC or 230VAC. Usually motors like the bigger voltage as they draw less current and run a bit cooler.

If you run 230, wire the block so that the BLACK, YELLOW and BLUE5 wires are grouped on the first terminal, The RED is isolated on the second; the BLUE6 on the third, and the WHITE on the fourth. Now you need the two switches. For 230 VAC you want a Single Pole Double Throw toggle switch for the Reversing switch, and a Double Pole Single Throw for the On/Off. The last is because you have to switch both hot lines. I haven't shown the Ground wire which is usually Green. Of course you must connect ground to the green wire in the power cord.

115VAC operation is a bit more complicated because you have to switch both the BLUE5 and the BLUE6 wires to reverse. Here you need a Double Pole Double Throw switch for the reverser and you only have to switch the black line for on/off so a normal Single Pole Single Throw switch is needed.

I know you're an electrical novice so I drew out the setup as a pictorial. The top drawing shows the 230 Volt setup and the bottom one the 115.

I'm a shaky old man these days and lacking the patience to draw neatly so I hope you can follow it. Be sure to ask if you have any questions. I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Hook it up on the bench before you install the motor just to be sure you've got it right. The worst you can do is have it not run and maybe blow the circuit breaker.

If you're still nervous, maybe a friend with a bit more electrical experience or a teacher at your local vocational /technical school can help.
Good Luck,

Dr.Bob

PS I see that several others posted while I was making my drawing and putting it on the board. They all say the same thing. Use what you understand best.
R.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reverser.jpg
Views:	2841
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	88166  

Last edited by DrBob; 03-04-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:49 PM

Default New Motor and Drum Switch

WOW, thank you gentlemen. I guess the only thing to do now is to get busy and complete this little project.

Thanks once again.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Something's Fishy ...

The drum switch has all the contacts and function required if it is the correct switch for the task
Step one connect the motor for the desired voltage and test it to be sure you have it wired correctly.
Step two interchange the indicated wires for reverse and again test it .
since it is a dual voltage motor you need to bring 5 wires plus a ground out to the reversing switch.
1motor line 1
2 motor line 2
3 reverse lead 1
4 reverse lead 2
5 wire to terminal that the non line reverse lead will connect to.

The drum switch should also have a diagram with it. The internal layout is somewhat manufacturer dependent but the function is the same.
it will connect line 2 and two to motor line one and two when switched to either direction.
The second set of contacts reverse the start windings just as you did while testing.

The drum switch I have in stock is not configured for dual voltage motors so I will not post its configuration.

The start winding is always a 120 volt winding in dual voltage motors
In the low voltage connection the start winding is connected line to line whereas in the high voltage connection it is connected line to mid point of the run windings. That is the #5 wire i noted above.

Some suitable drum switches have a jumper already installed between one of the motor terminals and the correct terminal in the reverse portion of the switch. Other "universal" switches have no installed jumper but leave it to the installer to provide the connection.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Boiler God

I'll be glad to send one or two of the local "qualified electricians", that some of the local contractors are using, to help you out. YMMV!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Something's Fishy ...

I had not seen your pictures when I posted above. The 120 volt connection diagram set for your motor is wrong in that there is no change in the reverse set .
the 240 set is different from the nema standard but will work fine.
Your switch should have a diagram with it detailing the correct terminal and jumper usage to make that motor work.
In the first picture I opened I noted a supplied jumper so your switch is probably set up for the Nema reverse scheme that simply interchanges the reverse winding wires to determine direction .
Your(off shore)motor leaves the start to mid point winding connected and switches the other end of the start winding to the other line to reverse the motor so you may need to do a little creative thinking to git er done but it is possible.