Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:

Old 04-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to storts
Default Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming
Storts, The saw is a now discontinued Grizzly...7 X 12 or 7 X 14...can't remember which without heading down to the shop to look at the factory literature.

It a good enough saw, but as with most Grizzly tools it had its teething problems. Prime problem was that Grizzly switched saw models from the time I placed my order and the time they filled the order. Ended up with the "new and improved" model that could only cut horz. instead of vert/horz???? Also ended up with a model that Grizzly never carried blades for...it was so "new and improved" that they didn't yet have blades in stock and than finally discontinued.

Anyone that goes on about the great customer support and parts inventory that Grizzly offers has never had a problem arise with one of their purchases. After 8-10 months of listening to lame excuses from Grizzly about why they had no blades in stock I called their saw an over-priced ashtray one time too many and they told me that they would prefer that I took my business elsewhere. When I replied that was what I had been doing for the last 8-10 months in order to keep their Asain cr*p running they decide to end the customer/client relationship right there. Probably the best thing they ever did for me...they were good enough to tell me that blades were available "anywhere" I cared to get them...well if you aren't counting Grizzly. Turned out they were a unique size. When I called again to get a referral to a shop that would sell these blades the two numbers they gave me were useless...one was disconnected and the other never had the guy I needed to talk to in and would not return calls. I had a few custom welded by Baum Hyd, out of Nebraska. Since than I have purchased a 100 ft. roll of Lenox blade stock off eBay for chump change and use a WWII vintage Stryko bandsaw blade welder. To its credit, Grizzly always offered to take the saw back if I wasn't absolutely happy with it...as long as I paid the almost $500 crating and shipping bill.

Somewhere or other I've said this about Grizzly...sure, I'd order from them again, but only if I was sure that I could do the parts chasing, equipment modifications and repairs on the machine after it was out of the crate in order to get it to work.

The saw was in the range of $1500 when I purchased it. Don't ever want to do without it again, but if I had to do it over again it would be an Ellis instead for a few hundred more. As I said at the start of this rant, it is a good saw...cuts straight and quick...1" blade. Plus it gave me a reason to get that Stryko blade welder.

Storts, for your money, go with an Ellis or other quality bandsaw. The Grizzly models just aren't that cheap anymore in comparison to what else is out there. Ellis make several model of fine quality bandsaws. Knowing that now, I wish I was still shopping for one.

Hope this helps.
It sure does help!!! and I thank you, 2 of my friends have the ellis, one with no coolent, and its cuts like a moe,Even when the blade is so dull,it still cuts square!!!! when My old Johnson got a little dull,,,,never cut strait,so 20 cuts per 30-50 dollar blade, execpt Johnson was great service wise, just could not figure out why as soon as the blade dulled, and there were some where it would hit a hard spot on some reg. hr.a-36 and bingo, would never cut square, till new blade on, Thank you very much, almost got blinded By harbor freight,(and they could care less ,it was 91 days) and your exp from grizzly,,Its you get what you pay for,and the service you recieve, I was taught by my old boss when I told him I bought storts welding co," to treat people the way you want to be treated", and its been a god sent, but Ive always been that way any way, I give you my word, and Im there,,But these big co,s(grizzly,)I guess our money isnt as green as the other guys And we are just a #,,And we wonder why the other countrys are kicking our a55??????????????Thanks for your time and saving me some money!!!!!!,Jack
Old 04-24-2005, 07:33 PM

if i was sent a different saw than what i ordered. i would dispute the charges & tell them. "if you want it, come get it. i didn't order it. don't know why you sent it to me, must be a FREE gift".
Old 04-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown 4.3
if i was sent a different saw than what i ordered. i would dispute the charges & tell them. "if you want it, come get it. i didn't order it. don't know why you sent it to me, must be a FREE gift".
Blown, you do this often?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:30 PM

normally i get the item i paid for. but one time i did that. they added stuff i didn't order to stuff i did order. i disputed. ended up not paying for any of it, even the stuff i ordered. turned out, that you can't disput part of a charge, only the whole bill.

credit cards, gotta love em. "if" you pay the whole balance every month.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:48 PM
Wyoming

Blown, The boys at Grizzly were unusually close lipped about the saw when I originally called them about it not being a horz/vert model as listed in the catalog. Told me it was a typo. I figured I needed the saw "right now" and didn't need the vertical mode all that badly at the time...so I said okay. Grizzly had also left the model number designation on the saw the same as the one I ordered...so I really did think it was a typo...for awhile. Even looked like the same saw.

Everything came to a quick end several days later when I opened up the mail and found a letter from Grizzly. They wanted me to send back the 6 blades I had ordered with the saw. Called them up to ask WTF. At that time they told me I had the "new & improved" model saw so the blades would not fit. It was also the same time I asked how it could be new and inproved if it didn't cut vertically. Finally, the first mention of the classic..."If for any reason you aren't happy, just send it back." When I asked whose dime paid for the return shipping they were very much in favor of it being MY dime. When I asked how soon the right blades would be sent they told me that they didn't know as they did not carry them in stock because the saw was so new to their inventory.

Bottom line...I should have sent it back, but I needed a saw and didn't see too many options. The saw has worked out well over the years...metal cutting demon. Grizzly was a pain first, last and always, but I more or less knew that before I ordered the saw from experience with them on several woodworking machines...you have to view them as "projects" and not ready to run machines. A bandsaw is about the highest level of machine tool I would feel satisfied in ordering from Grizzly...no way in he!! would I try one of their mills!!! Only down side I've ever had with the saw...other than lack of support and blades from Grizzly...is the quality of the cast iron in their machines. I've always considered it no more than petrified panda poop...try drilling and tapping a Grizzly machine and you'll know what I mean.

Had I known about the Ellis bandsaws at the time I purchased this saw I would have an Ellis in the shop now, but "might have beens" aren't much help nowadays. It was from this experience that I decided not to purchase Asian made machine tools again. I went with an old South Bend lathe, J-head Bridgeport mill and WWII era Logan shaper afterwards. The Grizzly saw has worked out and it has provided me with more than a few lessons learned plus I have that Stryko blade welder because of it. The older American made machine tools need work as well, but once you're done they tend to hold tolerances and are actually made out of cast iron.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:19 PM

well. i guess you made up my mind = NO GRIZZLY for me. but let me tell you guys this. when you buy something like this, USE A CREDIT CARD !!! you can dispute the charges if the item is not what you where told it would be (within reason). the company will start to change their tune when they find out the $$$ is on the line. the reason grixzzly does this crap is because nobody disputes.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:17 PM

Sorry I'm so late in the thread, but if anyone's interested, here's my import with new stand, a catch tray, and a new switch. I'll try to post one of the switch setup when I get a close-up taken.

Pilgrim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bandsaw frame.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	3856  
Old 04-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Wyoming

Pilgrim, Late to the thread....Thanks for getting the thread back on topic. Nice work and lets see some more.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:27 PM

Pilgrim,
How did you mount the bandsaw to the cart? It's hard to tell in the pics.. Did you weld something on top, as wide as the saws base, that runs perpendicular to the long axis of the cart? Just trying to picture this...
Old 04-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Founder: Machining Forum

Some of you guys have seen this but for the new guys here is a picture of my bandsaw stand. You will notice that I attached a place to hold flat stock straight while it is being cut. I also added a welding table to the side of the bandsaw stand in case I needed to weld something

Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm.