Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 09-30-2018, 11:22 AM

Default MM350 upgrade to 350P need help FAST guys....

So I've recently come across two MM350's. Both are in absolutely excellent shape. The first is a MM350 for $1600. This one is a 2005 model with serial # LFO92548. Its super clean, almost showroom new looking, but seller says it needs a new "heat sensor" Does anyone have any idea of cost on this part, and is it just a common issue or what do you guys haveto say about a 350 that needs a new heat sensor?

The second unit I'm considering is a year model 2008 MM350P for $2500 in very clean shape as well.

I'm trying to determine IF I can buy the $1600 MM350 and just upgrade it for $200 with a pulse board? I've read some guys say it works and others have had some problems. Is this upgrade available from Miller and does it generally work well? If I did this upgrade, would there be ANY differenceat all between a DIY upgraded 350 and a factory stock 350P other than the machine not saying 350 "P" on the side of machine?

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Razorhunter; 09-30-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:04 PM
SFT Historian

I would have to have more details, thermal problems on any electronics can range from bad connections bad parts and can be a bear to trouble shoot.
with out changing the part there is no guarantee to a fix.

Is it the fans that do not come on ?, some may have on demand fans that come on when need be.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:15 PM

Seller now tells me its flashing "help2" on the screen.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:27 PM
The Real Deal

Indicates overheating on right side of unit
(displays flash between OVER TEMP and
HELP 2). Unit will shutdown until internal
temperature
drops within operational range

Manual
Old 09-30-2018, 12:36 PM

Well seller also says he has the board to upgrade it to a 350P.
I don't know though guys. The more I read about these 350's, the more problems I read about. It seems breaking down with very expensive problems is fairly common after only a few years use.
I wonder if I'd be bettet served with a MM251 or 252 or something. I wish I knew more about the older transformer type machines as far as which specific models can be bought used and last a lifetime in a very serious shop. Definitely needs to be at least a 250amp machine.
I just don't know what models to look out for though. The modern Millermatics are all I really know anything about. I see the older ones (some with separate wire feeder) for sale all the time but just domt know which omes to look out for (need to run whatever I buy on single phase power preferably)
Any suggestions appreciated here guys. I'm just kind of leary to go buying a MM350, even a cheap one, especially if its got problems.
Thanks for any help with this guys.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Boiler God

I have had a Miller MM350P since day one, used regularly for 12+ years with absolutely no issues, I think its a great unit. I also have a Miller MM252, again a great unit. But to me there are great differences between the two. I’d gladly give up the MM252, before I’d give up the MM350P.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:54 PM
SFT Historian

First let me say I don't know any thing about these machines, As I recall Shade has a 350P and had them replace a board for free, send Shade a PM he knows someone on the inside.

Indicates overheating on right side of unit
(displays flash between OVER TEMP and
HELP 2).

In general
if the temp code comes on before the machine gets hot, say power up then yes it could be the sensor or a bad connection/plug with the sensor.

If the code comes on a few minutes after power then it could be more onto a major board
I assume left and right IGBT power boards (likely best to replace in matched sets)

The thing is most technicians are just board switchers and it could cost you two boards at full price or rebuilt boards sent in.
Looks like you should pass on this one.

Last edited by GWIZ; 09-30-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:42 PM
Post Fiend

I had a MM350P for a brief period of time. I think 2004 vintage. It worked fine and I wanted to upgrade to a newer board that supported newer push-pulls plug-n-play but it was cost prohibitive. I sold it for a mild profit after a month or two seeings I already had a MM252 sitting there...

Personally, if I were to buy one it would no older than 2-3 years, preferably new...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 09-30-2018, 05:18 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Many things for sale with "It needs a $10 part, simple fix"

Then why doesn't the seller doo the "simple fix" and mark up the
price to cover the "$10 part" and what ever labor ?
Old 09-30-2018, 05:29 PM

I dont mind buying something cheap and fixing it. Do it all the time. But with these MM350 inverter welders I get worried about future problems, and costly ones at that. Especially after all the reading I did today.
I know its still an inverter, but I womder if I'd be better off with an XMT304 or XMT350 or even a CP302 single phase machine.
I dont know. I just want a good machine 250amps or larger that doesnt give me any problems.