Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 11-19-2018, 12:26 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
I see what you're doing, but havn't had enough coffee to explain how I'd 'fix' it yet.

You're needing a flexible burn guide more than what I'd call a height guide I think. I googled a pic, I'll let the more awake people explain how to build it for your situation.
Yep that's what I needed to see I have a fair idea now Thanks a bunch!
of course I think this will take a bit of tinkering to get made as it will have to wrap around the radius but should do the job....

Thank you all for the help

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 11-20-2018, 12:29 PM
Elite Member

Been a while (several decades) since I had or needed a horse trailer, but IIRC they're usually about 7' wide - that would make that front semi-circle a bit under 12' long.

I think if I had several of those to do I'd first see if I could fab a carriage similar to the one in Dubby's pic, but that could follow a slightly curved path, and would stay put on the edge of a strip of 16 gauge steel - then I'd cut a strip of that about 2" wide (probably need a 12' long sheet, or scarf weld 2 pieces together?

Then I would tack spacers (for standoffs - maybe scraps of 3/4" square tube if available) CROSSWAYS to the strip, around the strip every foot or so (between the strip and the trailer metal), drill 1" holes near each end of the strip, and run a long ratchet strap from each end of the strip around the REST of the trailer -

Maybe use a farm jack or similar to support the strip in the front til the strap gets snug, then line up each end of the strip as you tighten the strap -

Once you get it snug enough it should stay put. Store it on a couple wall hooks by its end holes; that'd keep somewhat of a curve in it so you might not need to pull the straps quite as hard NEXT time -

Now ya know why my projects usually take so long ...Steve

(I did a MUCH smaller version of this for a C25 tank hold-down, but only 1" wide due to MUCH smaller bend radius - tacked 5/16" coupler nuts to both ends, anchored with drilled pieces of angle on the ends - worked GREAT)
Old 11-20-2018, 09:28 PM
Lubrication Consultant

I was thinking on those lines but to attach the rail by magnets as dirg suggested I think will work easy to set up and be able to bend around the radius easy enough then the guide can move freely by hand dragging it around.

Thanks guys....

Old 11-22-2018, 11:06 AM
Lubrication Consultant

The little quick P. torch guid I made worked well for this one worked on the trailer a few hours quit around 3 A.M. this morning came in didn't sleep much went back out...
As I'm having to wrap some 3/16" x 6" flat strap around the front
that is 9' in length kind of hard by hand so sat down a min and figured out a easy move bracket that would grip under the floor edge I could use my porta power with but be able to use by my self with no help to help hold things... worked out nicely...

I prolly could of run it through my slip roller but it would of taken two people to keep it from forming a sideways curl to it. and would be slight but just enough not to be able to line it up strait on the bottom edge where it would need to be tacked an welded to

A couple more hours and ill be done with this one and get the other utility trailer that needs the wench mount put on it out of the way too
an then I can sit down and make one that will wrap around the nose and be held in place by magnets and the torch holder with track rollers imagine I will turn the rollers in the lathe to cut the grove in them to ride the track edge.

So now before I start the track system being it needs to be flexible but yet ridged strait edge the big question is what sort of material should I use for the track being it needs to flex around the nose and be held by magnets
Thin sheet metal, stainless or ???....

Old 11-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

My first view of this puzzle was more along the lines of making a torch trolly with a wheel on the edge that'd run against your straight edge. Your "height adjustment" would come in the form of putting the straight edge in place where you needed it to begin with. As far as affixing it to the trailer, I'd clamp it where I could with whatever creative clamps you can figure out and a liberal use of duct tape along the non-cutting edge.

When I need to make a long, straight cut with the plasma I have some 1" or 1.5" aluminum strips, maybe less than 1/8" thick. Never measured. It's just thick enough to catch on the standoff tip of my cutter, but if it was thicker it wouldn't matter, I'd just run a different part of the torch head against it. I grab whatever's handy out of the scrap pile and run with it. My cutter is way underpowered to handle a double-thickness cut like this so...

If you can't find something thinner, I'd look into fiber board or a concrete bender board. As long as it's got a straight edge and it bends it should work.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 11-22-2018, 12:14 PM
Lubrication Consultant

will prolly make 2 tracks one at 9 ft. an one 12 ft. that should cover me for small horse trailers and large stock trailers the torch trolley should work on both I would imagine but one trolley will have to be arched slightly in order to follow the tracks arch and one for flat tracking

appreciate the advice dubby