Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Big Shovel

Default new "Top Shops" issue is out

Well, get ready for information overload, and a little bit of envy. Looks like the latest "Top Shop" is out at successfull farming. I got alot of ideas from this a few years ago when designing my shop. (If only mine was finished and as spotless as these in the pictures)

Lots of good ideas here.

Top Shops
Old 12-12-2006, 07:41 PM
s_ontario

Nice Link -- Tunnel from House to Shop wow
Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 PM

Thanks DirtDigger, just ordered mine. You can't have enough of these laying around for rainy days.

By the way, has your weather improved this week? We hit 64 deg today but our ground is still sloppy. Weather man said we have had 50+ inches of rain this year, 24" since Sept.!!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Big Shovel

Well, I'm glad I didn't see the tunnel idea when I built mine. But it doesn't get that bad here.

I got a lot of ideas from a previous issue of top shops. It's well worth the money.

As far as weather............we went from friggid to warm and wet. Yesterday was in the upper 40's with rain all day. I think they are calling for some rain today too. Looks like we will be shut down till it freezes back up. It is way too muddy now to do any field work. Problem is, when it does freeze up, it will probably go way too cold.

We will just have to put on an extra pair of long johns and put up with it when the time comes. We have way too much work left to do and not enough pennies in the bank to make it through winter.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:21 PM

Sorry to hear about the bad weather, like you I love to spend time in my shop but not when I have this much work backed up. I'm trying to get enough done this week and next week so I can take off through New Years. It looks like the weather is going to be somewhat nice for a while, supposed to hit 66deg tomorrow. Sure doesn't feel like December but it could be worse.

By the way did you get the lift in the pit finished?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 AM
Big Shovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIGDIRT
By the way did you get the lift in the pit finished?
Well, I haven't even thought of that one yet. It's a deep winter project. I do have most of the stuff to do it, although I need to get a good plasma to trim the full length of the plate. I'ts just an inch or two too wide for the pit.

I have spent the last few days in the office instead of in the shop. Trying to get a jump on end of the year planning and get some more jobs bid, so when the weather gets good enough, I don;t have to be bothered.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:54 AM

Wow nice link I had never heard of that magazine. I can't even imagine the money they have wraped up in those shops.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:44 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

I had about 130K in materials 13 yrs ago and could still use another shot of insulation. If I had it to do again I would scrounge around and come up with the K to go another 20 ft long, not because I need floor space as much as running wall space although it would have added to walking and heating. I would have added to the heating system if I could have afforded it but I like my layout. Another thing I mi9ght have considered was soffit on the front but it was pricey too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shop side.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	18318   Click image for larger version

Name:	shop front.JPG 2.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	18319  

Last edited by Sberry; 12-15-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Big Shovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sberry27
I had about 130K in materials 13 yrs ago and could still use another shot of insulation.
Wow, that seem like alot. How big was that one?

I have about 60 or 70K (plus some labor) in mine, but I'm still working on the cement and "fine tuning".
Old 12-15-2006, 08:04 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

I might add an awning in the front that would help the appearance. Yes, it might have been a bit high, I spent some on a loading dock, I have 4 premium insulated doors with 2 new openers, plus loading dock door. 2 walk doors, I painted the steel white, pretty extensive utilities. Mine is 80X80 and its tall. I have 3 14x14 doors and a 14x16.