Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 08-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Bob Jones

Default China Tools (cost)

I was in the hardware store today looking for a set of metric allen wrenches, when I noticed they were all from China. I asked the clerk that he should price his Chinese tools at a thousand he kinda laughed and said that would be pretty high, I told him not a thousand dollars, but a thousand jobs. He didn't think it was funny and I didn't do it for laughs!
Old 08-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Member Emeritus 1941 - 2010

Sad but true. Every Ace-branded tool in the chain's stores is purchased by Ace Trading Company. China is the only manufacturer! The markup is horrendous. Even more sadly, branded names like Stanley are MIC, too! Makita tools has exported their manufacturing to China!

What you get all depends on who is running the factory over there. If the manufacturing process is under reasonable quality controls, products are decent. If you get a Chinese knockoff of another China-made tool that comes from a bootleg plant, ouch!

My "assembled in the USA" 14V Milwaukee cordless drill is put together with a motor made in Germany, a case made in Thailand, and a battery made in Mexico! It's still a quality tool, though.

That's life....

Hank

Miller MM135, MM210, 3035 Spoolgun, BWE
TA185TSW
Victor O/A SuperRange; "J" series.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:19 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

I bought some wrenches at Lowes that were USA made, very reasonalble in price.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:29 PM

When Lowes first came out with the Kobalt line the tools were all made by Williams, same company that forges Snap-On's wrenches, good tools, smooth lines, comfortable in the hand. Now all of their wrenches are forged by Danarus or something like that, I forget the spelling, same company that forges Craftsman for Sears still good wrenches, lines not so smooth, lost a lot of comfort in the hands. Still made in the USA though.

Jeff
Old 08-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Urban Gunfighter

from http://www.danaher.com/business/str...tail.asp?key=12

"Danaher Tool Group and Matco®, enjoy a leading share position in the multi-billion dollar mechanics hand tool market.

The Hand Tool Group is growing substantially faster than the industry growth rate, driving growth through geographic expansion and share gains, as well as innovative new products that improve safety, strength, speed and access. Danaher is committed to deliver customer-driven new product innovation through user-preferred brands such as, Armstrong®, Matco®, Sears Craftsman®, AllenTM, KD-Tools®, Holo-Krome®, NAPA®, and SATA."

the above quote was from December last year. they have stopped listing craftsman on that page though, but the link is still valid.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 08-21-2005, 11:55 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

I see no point in blaming the retailer. It is the consumer who drives the market and fuels the demand. For decades, we have demanded cheap over good until we have established a throw-away mentality; the market has merely responded. It is hard to fault the consumer; if the tools were not cheap, most men couldn't have tools. Just imagine what it would be like if the retailers offered only high-priced, high quality, American-made tools at Snap-On prices. Most of us would be fighting over inherited wrenches & screwdrivers.
Assigning blame is a waste of energy; just accept the reality and look for the silver lining which, IMO is in used tools, old repairable machinery, yard sales and old vises one can find buried in the dirt. And I tell you one more time - 3phase converters are cool, too.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 08-21-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpill
When Lowes first came out with the Kobalt line the tools were all made by Williams, same company that forges Snap-On's wrenches, good tools, smooth lines, comfortable in the hand. Now all of their wrenches are forged by Danarus or something like that, I forget the spelling, same company that forges Craftsman for Sears still good wrenches, lines not so smooth, lost a lot of comfort in the hands. Still made in the USA though.

Jeff

I recently bought some Kolbalt compound pliers from Lowe's. I thouht they were made in the US also. Not so, when I got back and peeled off the wrapper, they were etched China right there on the pivot pin. They were only so so quality. I was cutting a bunch of 3/64 aircraft cables to length and could see some daylight after the first couple dozen cuts.

tjj
Old 08-21-2005, 04:11 PM

My older brother has a complete set of Craftsman combination wrenches bought in the late 80's that are forged in Japan says so right on the wrench.
Go figure.

Jeff
Old 08-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Bob Jones

Were they the Craftsman brand or their Companion brand? Some of their non Craftsmann brands are made in the Eastern Countries.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:41 PM

These definately say Craftsman on them. They were bought and paid for by the company we work for when he made maintenance mechanic, ordered from Sears Industrial Tool catalog. Other than saying made in Japan they look like all other Craftsman wrenches I've come across, and as far as I can tell are the same quality as the USA forged wrenches.

Jeff