Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-16-2023, 11:22 AM
threepiece threepiece is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Suburban Detroit Mi
Posts: 1,940
Default Me Printing Metal? Imagine that?

For those that know me some, you know I have an aversion to most technology that has become popular in the last fifty or so years. By far the most sophisticated equipment in my shop are readouts on my mill and a calculator.

My workplace has changed, After more than a month of study, I now know more about printing metal than I ever thought possible, but still not enough to print a part yet.

I am learning on a Desktop Shop System. There are four major pieces of equipment, two hepa vacuums, one blender and a host of attachments. In addition there are numerous Safety and environmental hazards associated with it. From my point of view this is all ridiculously complicated. I have spent forty years learning to make many of the parts this system will make.
__________________
Rust is a color too.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-16-2023, 02:16 PM
toprecycler's Avatar
toprecycler toprecycler is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Posts: 6,548
Default

So are you fighting tooth and nail trying to resist learning the new process? If it wasn’t your decision to implement the new technology, and you do not think it is worth it long term, then you will create a lot of unnecessary stress on yourself.

There are places for the new technology, but it has to be in the right environment. It is not for everyone and everything.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-16-2023, 09:41 PM
threepiece threepiece is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Suburban Detroit Mi
Posts: 1,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
So are you fighting tooth and nail trying to resist learning the new process? If it wasn’t your decision to implement the new technology, and you do not think it is worth it long term, then you will create a lot of unnecessary stress on yourself.

There are places for the new technology, but it has to be in the right environment. It is not for everyone and everything.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I’m not fighting but I’m not n a hurry.

My heart isn’t in this. For the first time in my life I am learning a skill that is useless to me, I won’t be owning a metal printer, ever. Moreover I have in recent years become disenchanted about production and prototype manufacturing. The drive to increase product and reduce cost continues with seemingly no end. Machines like this would be considered magical a few decades ago. I can see the likelihood that having their printed parts by the end of the day will soon be not soon enough.
__________________
Rust is a color too.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-17-2023, 04:39 PM
arizonian's Avatar
arizonian arizonian is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
Well, I’m not fighting but I’m not n a hurry.

My heart isn’t in this. For the first time in my life I am learning a skill that is useless to me, I won’t be owning a metal printer, ever. Moreover I have in recent years become disenchanted about production and prototype manufacturing. The drive to increase product and reduce cost continues with seemingly no end. Machines like this would be considered magical a few decades ago. I can see the likelihood that having their printed parts by the end of the day will soon be not soon enough.
I understand that part.

However, it is useful to your employer.

Decisions, decisions.
__________________
Bill in sunny Tucson

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-18-2023, 06:20 AM
greywynd's Avatar
greywynd greywynd is offline
I can dig it
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wainwright, Alberta
Posts: 6,568
Default

I would think printing some of these forms you’ve made in the past would be a faster way to do it, maybe I’m wrong though? Leaves more time for the hammering and forming, or for other projects.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-18-2023, 12:12 PM
threepiece threepiece is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Suburban Detroit Mi
Posts: 1,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
I would think printing some of these forms you’ve made in the past would be a faster way to do it, maybe I’m wrong though? Leaves more time for the hammering and forming, or for other projects.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have touched on what I consider the pinnacle of prototyping sheetmetal.

I am by far the most experienced metal former in the company however I do not call the shots. The fellow who does call the shots does not want to expose my skills to the new management. So I am relegated to doing it the way he says.

It is largely the company’s loss. I am very close to retirement, it pains me to care anymore. It has been a frustrating ordeal.
__________________
Rust is a color too.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-18-2023, 12:47 PM
mccutter's Avatar
mccutter mccutter is offline
Do I have a life?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 11,023
Default

I DO believe you can teach an old dog new tricks. Some dogs COULD learn, they just don't want to...

Any pics of the equipment? Is this sintering and compression or deposition or what?
__________________

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-18-2023, 01:14 PM
arizonian's Avatar
arizonian arizonian is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
You have touched on what I consider the pinnacle of prototyping sheetmetal.

I am by far the most experienced metal former in the company however I do not call the shots. The fellow who does call the shots does not want to expose my skills to the new management. So I am relegated to doing it the way he says.

It is largely the company’s loss. I am very close to retirement, it pains me to care anymore. It has been a frustrating ordeal.
Decisions, decisions.
__________________
Bill in sunny Tucson

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-19-2023, 08:46 PM
threepiece threepiece is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Suburban Detroit Mi
Posts: 1,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I DO believe you can teach an old dog new tricks. Some dogs COULD learn, they just don't want to...

Any pics of the equipment? Is this sintering and compression or deposition or what?
Learning I am. I’m sure I will have opportunities to combine 3D printing and hybrid tooling techniques in the future. I suspect when I inform them of my leaving they will “beg” me to reconsider.

The Desktop Shop System is a binder jet system. For those that don’t know how it works, very basically:

A thin layer of metal powder is evenly spread over a build plate. Then a gantry with numerous jets passes over the layer depositing binder fluid where required for that particular layer. The build plate then drops down the thickness of the next layer and the process of spreading powder and depositing binder repeats over and over again sometimes hundreds of times until the part is complete.

The build cake (box) is then placed in an oven for heating. This heat activates the binder fluid which makes it firm in the shape of the desired part. The build box is then placed in a powder station where all the loose powder is removed leaving a very delicate part. The individual part is then placed in a sintering oven where it is heated to a temperature just below the melting temperature of the metal that was printed. After the sintering cycles, the part is done unless further processing/machining is needed.
__________________
Rust is a color too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.