Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 06-29-2004, 07:04 AM
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-ray
Ha ha sorry Aaron I could not resist the jab. As a few months ago someone was spreading rumors that Red tig machines had 'arc rectification' issues with helium mixes, tit- for- tat
????? Not certain what you're referring to here, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't me so I'll move on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-ray
Aaron, any guess on how thick the materials are being welded at the place using the tri-mix? Are they done with Short circuit machine settings?
Thickness? Anywhere from 1/8" to 1/2". All work is done in the SC mode, as spray transfer is yet unknown to them, which is a mystery to me. I have explained it and showed them, but no luck yet. It's a waste of some massive machines if you ask me.

Anything of any real sanitary importance is TIG welded using good old straight argon. They really like keeping things simple here.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Elite Member

[QUOTE=Aaron]????? Not certain what you're referring to here, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't me so I'll move on....

Sorry was not meaning you specifically, the posts I was referencing were from Dseman, on both the Hobart & Aws welding boards. They came about when the Lincoln PT 185 & PT 275 discussions were 'live'.
In them it is implied that only the Lincoln tig machines had this 'arc rectification' issue. Oh, Practical Welding today, has an article about 'rectification' in the same issue that Shade made the mag.

Aaron, when I poke at 'blue' machines, it is akin to 'beer' night in the garage, and somebody is talking smack about something- could be a caliber of a gun, various motors strengths/weaknesses, etc. Again sorry about the mis-communication
Old 06-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Aaron

X,

No offense taken, man. I'll be the first to admit my unorthodox sense of humor often leaves people wondering what the heck I'm trying to say.

I have no problems with Lincoln, or any other manufacturer. In fact, the reason I have gone Blue is pretty simple: support. It's pretty much a one-horse town, and that horse is blue. I think most would agree that if you get a machine from any of the major competitors you have a good machine. Hey, there are differences in performance within machines of the same model!
Old 06-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Elite Member

[

Thickness? Anywhere from 1/8" to 1/2". All work is done in the SC mode, as spray transfer is yet unknown to them, which is a mystery to me. I have explained it and showed them, but no luck yet. It's a waste of some massive machines if you ask me.
]
Quote sniped.
One thing, if you do manage to convince them how much $$ the short circuit process 'costs' (think TIME), they may find they have 'excess' capacity with the # of weldors working there. And if they do not seek or have more markets those 'excess' weldors could lose their jobs.
Sort've a catch 22 because if the company isgnores the real world welding costs (hint its not consumables or gas), maybe they will join the legion of companys going overseas.

Aaron, if you spend some time reading, may I suggest writings by Eliyahu M. Goldratt, The Goal, Its not Luck, and others of his. You may find things of value to you in them
Old 06-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Elite Member

Shade, I do have some Miller equipment, Plasma (aka powcon) & r-115 feeder (great deal). My personal weld shop for sure aquires some equipment used because of price/benie ratio, or interesting find. Now I would not hesistate to pick up say a Miller shopmaster or dialarc, if they came my way (assuming capitol ) Dont need them, but ...

With the Helium thing I was just working around to the odd fact that If one is using short circuit settings than burn through must be a primary concern. So why would the gas salesman recommend a gas w/helium with its increased voltage needs that would make burn through even more likely
Old 06-29-2004, 10:06 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W
You only need two types of gas. CO2 for steel using mig. Argon for everything else using tig....well also thin steel.
Ah argon-Co2 wars! that could be a fun thead