Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 06-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Dman033189

What do you guys think about the smith torches. I was thinking about getting one of these.

It is the MB51A-510

I can get one on ebay for $159.95 Is that a good deal?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Banned

Smith torches are fantastic. Some people hate them cause they feel a little different in your hand, but if Amith fits your hand, it will be the last torch you need to buy unless you drive a car over it.

Shade, you gotta wonder if that brilliant fellow ever got past loading HP Oxygen into the propane bottle. Too bad he wasn't running home video of the event. Hmmmmmmmm would it be inappropriate to suggest to Joey he could promix gas?
The sad reality is in today's climate, that woman will become a millionare thanks to the supply house's insurance.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Harbor Freight Backslider

The womans lawyer would be the millonare. The supply company's lawyer would get big bucks too!!

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
???'?? ???'?
Old 06-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Elite Member

So does anyone know if that is a good deal?

Here is a link to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Old 06-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Default Boc

This happened several years back, actually BOC Gases fought the lawsuit and won, my buddy had to go to court and testify. She did sue the other supply house and they settled out of court. She also sued all of the fitting manufacuters and most of them won their cases because the fittings were, "...used inconsistant to their labelling..." (or however the legals phrase it.)

The homeowner's insurance did not cover the damage and fire because it did not cover the storage and use of oxygen and acetylene on the premises. (That sentence is important for many of our hobby members.**)

It is heresy but what the other supply house settled out of court for was enough to pay her legal costs and fix her house.

She still lives and works in the area. Last we heard she sold the house and moved into a small apartment. I feel some pity for her, her only mistake was marrying an idiot.

**Having welding business, I have a separate insurance policy that covers my shop, its contents and covers my liability (it covers the hazards associated with a welding business.) It runs me more per year than my farm policy (aka homeowner's) does. I have a farm policy to cover my hay equipment, tractor's, etc. Also the farm policy covers us in case a horse gets loose and a car hits it and kills someone in the vehicle and other strange occurrances. It is in the ball park of a typical homeowners policy cost wise, it covers more but farm policies get fewer claims so the two offset themselves. Needless to say our insurance man really likes us.....................

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman033189
So does anyone know if that is a good deal?

Here is a link to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
NO, buying a torch on ePay isn't a good idea!
Torches require repair and replacement parts, and most gas dealer/welding suppliers will match the proces of on line suppliers if not beat them.
Do you really think it's a saving if you can't get a replacement valve cause the local supplier remembers you only buy what you absolutely need from them?
Old 06-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Elite Member

Ok well thanks for the info I will buy one at the local welding supply. Is it ok if I buy one at one of those welding shows or just stick with the welding supply?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
NO, buying a torch on ePay isn't a good idea!
Torches require repair and replacement parts, and most gas dealer/welding suppliers will match the proces of on line suppliers if not beat them.
Do you really think it's a saving if you can't get a replacement valve cause the local supplier remembers you only buy what you absolutely need from them?
I will disagree with you here Franz, knowing you will likely chop my nuts off anyway.

eBay is a decent place to purchase items. But it is a VERY buyer beware environment. Know what you are buying, know what it costs new and used. I also (same rule applies to live auctions I goto) figure the highest price I will pay for an item up front, if the bidding goes over that amount, walk away. Read descriptions closely, often the information left out is an important as what is written. If you ask a question and don't get a response what makes you think you will get a response if there is a problem with the merchandise. Make sure the seller has a high rating over 98% positive. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is ... don't buy it.

The relationship you build with you local supplier is important as Franz states. But they do know they have competition, just treat them with respect and don't yank their chain and they will take care of you. FYI. Most of the profit they turn is on the consumables; gas, tips, wire, rod, nozzles, abrasives, etc. items that are not typically found at auctions. Capital items such as welders, torch sets, plasma cutters, etc. are sold at much lower margins.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Harbor Freight Backslider

I'm not an Ebay fan. I'm batting .500. I got burn't on a steady rest for my Lathe. But got a good deal on my 3035 spool gun from a guy in Texas, who was a real gentleman.
I got my MM210 From an Ebay dealer, but got a better price dealing Direct, B&R weldors in Md.

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
???'?? ???'?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:46 PM
Banned

Hell Shade there ain't no market for choppped snipenuts, so why bother.
I've been buying from Mahany Welding Supply for over 35 years, and never been treated wrong. I've also depleated their obsolete machine parts inventory over the last couple years by informing people who post on the various boards I look at to call 585-271-0870 and talk to Ted or Dave. One hell of a lot of parts have been shipped UPS out of there. Now the other son who runs the second branch, well, I drive past Yuppihany to get to the Real Mahany. I know for fact that Mahany will match any internet price on a machine, because as you say, the profit ain't on machines. On top of that, the manufacturers, ITW in particular, have always Joeyed the dealers who plowed the ground for them, and this drop shipping **** Miller & Lincoln are both doing is purely wrong in my opinion.
What I do damn well know is that on Friday afternoon at ¼to 4 when I run out of gas, I call Dave @ Mahany, and he will bring me a cylinder in his Corvette on the way home. Are other dealers like that, probably some, and from my viewpoint finding one and cultivating a relationship with him will bring you more return than it will ever cost you.
I read a post this last week where a guy is crying for a replacement gun for his Miller MM-35, and his dealer is telling him it's obsolete, and he needs to buy a new machine. I know there are a dozen MM-35s sitting @ Mahany for part machines, and if this guy was a Mahany customer he would have walked out the door with a replacement gun, and not a screwing. Any relationship is a 2 way street, and you get out what you put in.
Yes, I hate paying sales tax, and detest supporting local corruption, but when I need an answer, or parts, I know where they are, and that I can get them. That ain't gonna happen on ePay.