Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 02-02-2021, 09:28 PM

Default Back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
Since the ball turner morphed into a tap handle I gave up. Just went back to see if anything happened to the orig subject. :-) Let me know when you get that ball turner to do some like these. :-)
...lew...
Yes Lew, the thread did start to drift off a bit but I think we have been back on track. Unfortunately, the project slowed down in the testing/learning stage when I decided I should make a mandrel. That did not go well and resulted in a thread over in Machining on threading, that the guys have been helping me out with. I am almost ready to complete the mandrel and will get back to ball making.

I guess I should say you have nice balls, ...but that just does not sound appropriate. Maybe ok in a machinist forum.

The turner might work out like that, not sure about the operator though. I will post some updates of my b___s, aahhh, projects, when I get there.

Cheers,
Shawn
Old 02-05-2021, 05:22 AM

Default Modification needed already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
....... Let me know when you get that ball turner to do some like these. :-)
...lew...
Lew, could you please post a picture of the ball turner you use to make those balls/rod ends?

I find with mine that I need to turn down the rod quite a ways back from the ball or the tool holder hits the shaft, so really, it ends up looking more like a rod end than a ball. Not sure if I am doing something wrong in setup or just the geometry of the tool that is causing me interference. I see you can turn very close to the shoulder.

Thanks
Shawn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Almost finihsed ball turner.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	159444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ball slash rod end.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	159445  
Old 02-05-2021, 06:17 AM
Administrator

It’s looking good. Nice that you have to use it to put the finishing parts on it.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-05-2021, 10:18 AM
I can dig it

Your tool setup is what is limiting you. With the ‘tip’ of the triangle ahead, the rear left corner interferes.

If you rework your tool so the tip points to the left and becomes the ‘leading’ part of the tool you’ll be able to get a lot closer to the shaft or shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Your tool setup is what is limiting you. With the ‘tip’ of the triangle ahead, the rear left corner interferes.

If you rework your tool so the tip points to the left and becomes the ‘leading’ part of the tool you’ll be able to get a lot closer to the shaft or shoulder.

Good point. I will try to sketch something else. I wonder if a long slender bit ie parting tool would do it. It would allow you to be back from the material but still get in there.....?

I googled videos and interestingly, the first one I find is the same turner, but I see the mandrel shaft size is small. I was thinking a larger diameter, more robust shaft would be better but it appears it interferes. I will play around and see what I can figure out or find. Lew has some info for me too. I will report back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwGLL7cMdHk

Thanks
Cheers
Shawn
Old 02-06-2021, 10:14 AM
Elite Member

A couple of pix of the tool ( Holdridge Radii Cutter ) with the first model of my cutter to do the balls. NOTE there followed model 2 and model 3 that shrunk the size to about a quarter of that shown. :-) The "prototype" was just a ground cutter in a temporary bit to hold it but it worked .
...lew...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kodak-29July,07 020.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	159451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodak-29July,07 021.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	159452  
Old 02-06-2021, 03:50 PM

Lew
That seems more involved that my project but I guess if you have the radii cutter already, it is not too hard to build and looks like a very effective tool.

I am happy with mine now. I spent some time with it today. I found the cutter was not cutting overly well either. It seemed to cut ok on the face but coming around the side, not so much, and going back from side to front (actually front to tail stock end), really poor, so I put a piece of tig rod under the back of it. World of difference! It gives the negative rake angle that I think I am supposed to have...if I have that right..

If I was to do it again, or explore other cutter options, ie Lew's style of cutter or a high speed steel bit, I will plan to build the required angle into the holder, if necessary.

I also modified my mandrel to accommodate the tool better, ie reduced the shaft behind the threads. This is an easier fix than changing the tool holder I think.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cutter with rake.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	159456  
Old 04-18-2021, 02:45 PM

Default My apologies

When I started this thread, I had been inspired by cutter's project and related thread. I referred to it a few times in making my posts. Cutter had inspired me to finish my project.

I have to apologize if I offended anyone. I did not realize that cutter had passed on. I guess I can be an idiot sometimes.

So, if I offended anyone at all in referring to cutter or his thread, please accept my apologies. From his posts that I read, he seemed like a great person. And from comments I have read about him, that impression was confirmed.

A lot of time, many forums become like families to those that visit regularly. From the posts here, this is certainly one of those. I have popped in and out of a few as interests vary and am always appreciative of the fact that I can drop in, ask some questions and carry on. I seldom have the experience to contribute much. But I never want to offend or upset anyone. So Thank you for allowing me to visit and again, I hope I did not offend anyone.

Regards,

Shawn
Old 04-18-2021, 03:10 PM
Administrator

No worries about offending anyone here with regards to mentioning Cutter. Opposite that. He is missed, but there is no greater reminder or tribute than referring to him or one of his projects, especially if it had encouraged you to go make your own!

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 04-18-2021, 07:21 PM

Thanks Brian

Regards,

Tags
ball turner