Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-06-2019, 11:05 PM

Default What to make this out of?

I am trying to make a hanging bed for my daughter, Originally I was going to use 2X6's but I wanted it to be easily transportable and long lasting. The more wood gets taken apart and put back together the looser it gets. I am thinking about Steel but I dont know how to determine the strength to ensure its safe. If I remember correctly because its supported at 4 corners the weight load on any one point is 1/4 the total so if I used a 1000 lbs total weight each corner should carry a 250 lb load. How do I determine what steel to use.The drawing uses 1.5" sq tube but then I realized a rectangular tube might carry a larger load for a smaller size. The chains, or rope will be about 9 inches from the angle on the legs. I think I got the rest of the dims on there, my GD&T class was a long time ago. I'm also not against a redesign if there is a better way. I will be putting braces across the ends but forgot them on the drawing

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed.png
Views:	201
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	149748  
Old 03-07-2019, 01:13 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusBob View Post
I am trying to make a hanging bed for my daughter, Originally I was going to use 2X6's but I wanted it to be easily transportable and long lasting. The more wood gets taken apart and put back together the looser it gets. I am thinking about Steel but I dont know how to determine the strength to ensure its safe. If I remember correctly because its supported at 4 corners the weight load on any one point is 1/4 the total so if I used a 1000 lbs total weight each corner should carry a 250 lb load. How do I determine what steel to use.The drawing uses 1.5" sq tube but then I realized a rectangular tube might carry a larger load for a smaller size. The chains, or rope will be about 9 inches from the angle on the legs. I think I got the rest of the dims on there, my GD&T class was a long time ago. I'm also not against a redesign if there is a better way. I will be putting braces across the ends but forgot them on the drawing

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide
Bob
Inch an a Half 14 or 16ga. Square Or rectangular tubing should do it. be light enough to move easily, and strong enough for what you're making.

Last edited by MetalWolf; 03-07-2019 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:16 PM
Elite Member

If you are more comfortable with wood, just use tee-nuts and bolts.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:36 PM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

If you want steel and portability, look at incorporating bolt flanges on your mitered corners, like a steel truss building does it. Then maybe a bolt flange for the middle, or a king pin which will let the two fold up to each other.

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 03-07-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Inch an a Half 14 or 16ga. Square Or rectangular tubing should do it. be light enough to move easily, and strong enough for what you're making.
What size rectangle tube do you think would work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
If you are more comfortable with wood, just use tee-nuts and bolts.
I have done more woodworking than metal but the metal is definately easier to transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldor2005 View Post
If you want steel and portability, look at incorporating bolt flanges on your mitered corners, like a steel truss building does it. Then maybe a bolt flange for the middle, or a king pin which will let the two fold up to each other.
I'm not sure I understand what a bolt flange is, do you mean like this? If I did do this where would the weak point be?

Thank you guys for your help
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Angle.png
Views:	103
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	149762  
Old 03-08-2019, 05:14 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
What size rectangle tube do you think would work?

I have done more woodworking than metal but the metal is definately easier to transport

I'm not sure I understand what a bolt flange is, do you mean like this? If I did do this where would the weak point be?

Thank you guys for your help
Bob
Bob, As for the tubing I would say 1" x 2-1/2" x 16 or 18ga. should be sufficient... or you could go with 3/4" x 2" x 14ga.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

I've got no help on the actual materials necessary, but my question is in the manufacture of the rig. If you weld it all together, how do you plan to get it through a doorway?

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 03-08-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Bob, As for the tubing I would say 1" x 2-1/2" x 16 or 18ga. should be sufficient... or you could go with 3/4" x 2" x 14ga.
I will check at my local metal yard but you may have saved me a bundle
Thanks
Bob
Old 03-08-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
I've got no help on the actual materials necessary, but my question is in the manufacture of the rig. If you weld it all together, how do you plan to get it through a doorway?
I never planned to weld the entire thing together. The plan from the start was to make it as safe as possible while being portable and transportable

Bob
Old 03-08-2019, 01:23 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
I never planned to weld the entire thing together. The plan from the start was to make it as safe as possible while being portable and transportable

Bob
Are you planning on having a slip fit on the tube steel for disassembly?

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson