Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-04-2019, 09:38 AM
Made From Scratch

Default Bits and Pieces

I didn't take enough pictures to really do a thread on any of this but here are some recent projects.

Up first is a grazing bit. Allison got a new horse named spike who is quite a character. He was in need of his own bit and bridle and I hadn't made a bit yet and wanted to give it a try. I also did my first overlay with nickel silver and silver solder.

Second is a horizontal vise I just built. It mounts in my bench vise but holds stuff in the flat position. It is adjustable to hold different thicknesses of material. I have found that in projects like bits and spurs, or cutting out sheet metal that the regular bench vise doesn't hold stuff the way I need it too. I haven't put many miles on this yet, but so far I like it.

Last in this post is a pair of spurs I have been working on off and on for awhile. I think I'm going to do some silver overlays on them too, but haven't figured out what to put on them yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss011-DSCF1482.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	150634   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss009-DSCF1480.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	150635   Click image for larger version

Name:	EV001-DSCF1497.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	150636   Click image for larger version

Name:	EV002-DSCF1498.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	150637   Click image for larger version

Name:	mws024-DSCF1466.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	150638  

Old 05-04-2019, 09:49 AM
Made From Scratch

This is an older project but I don't think I ever shared it. Its a sanding rasp for working on horses feet. It's handy for things like taking hoof polish off before the ranch classes (its expected in hunt seat, but against the rules in ranch riding, quite convenient). Sometimes I just need to clean a barefoot horse up that is chipping but don't need something as aggressive as a rasp. There are several commercial versions of this available that all take proprietary sandpaper. Mine uses 2 inch shop rolls, cut to length.

Lastly is a before and after of a tractor bucket I just rebuilt for a local horse farm. It was a tight job for time and budget so I just re-skinned what was there instead of cutting the bottom and ends off and redoing the whole thing. It only gets used for shavings and manure so the extra weight isn't really an issue. New bottom is 10 gauge steel, and ends are braced up with 3x3x1/4 angle. I stitched it up with .045 dual shield enough to be structurally sound and then filled the gaps in with .030 solid wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SR002-DSCF0885.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	150639   Click image for larger version

Name:	SR006-DSCF0889.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	150640   Click image for larger version

Name:	SR008-DSCF0891.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	150641   Click image for larger version

Name:	JGB001-DSCF1486.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	150642   Click image for larger version

Name:	JGB010-DSCF1495.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	150643  

Old 05-04-2019, 04:17 PM
Elite Member

From a complete dummy on the subject..
Is there any danger of poisoning by the horse’s salvia on the plating?
Old 05-04-2019, 04:25 PM
Made From Scratch

I didn't use anything on the actual mouthpiece, it is bare steel.

The shanks(sides) are cold blued, and that stuff is questionable, but I used it on some knives that I have used a lot on food and it hasn't killed me. I melted some beeswax over it after neutralizing the blueing and the flux on the silver part. I don't think enough of his slobber would come down the shanks and make it back in his mouth to be a problem.

I don't know what compounds they use but most of the commercially made bits this style are either rust brown or blued.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:05 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
This is an older project but I don't think I ever shared it. Its a sanding rasp for working on horses feet. It's handy for things like taking hoof polish off before the ranch classes (its expected in hunt seat, but against the rules in ranch riding, quite convenient). Sometimes I just need to clean a barefoot horse up that is chipping but don't need something as aggressive as a rasp. There are several commercial versions of this available that all take proprietary sandpaper. Mine uses 2 inch shop rolls, cut to length.

Lastly is a before and after of a tractor bucket I just rebuilt for a local horse farm. It was a tight job for time and budget so I just re-skinned what was there instead of cutting the bottom and ends off and redoing the whole thing. It only gets used for shavings and manure so the extra weight isn't really an issue. New bottom is 10 gauge steel, and ends are braced up with 3x3x1/4 angle. I stitched it up with .045 dual shield enough to be structurally sound and then filled the gaps in with .030 solid wire.
Repairing them loader buckets is lots of fun ain't it...
Old 05-04-2019, 10:14 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Repairing them loader buckets is lots of fun ain't it...

I looked at it at his farm, and it still had a layer of shit in the bottom and I thought the ends were solid and the bottom was all that needed done. So my estimate was a little off...
I got it home and powerwashed it and watched the holes get bigger and bigger. Then when I got it in the shop and touched it with the grinder for the first time, I disappeared in a brown cloud. I had to go find my respirator.
I've done a handful of buckets over the years and most of them really weren't bad jobs, but this one was a headache
Old 05-05-2019, 12:37 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I looked at it at his farm, and it still had a layer of shit in the bottom and I thought the ends were solid and the bottom was all that needed done. So my estimate was a little off...
I got it home and powerwashed it and watched the holes get bigger and bigger. Then when I got it in the shop and touched it with the grinder for the first time, I disappeared in a brown cloud. I had to go find my respirator.
I've done a handful of buckets over the years and most of them really weren't bad jobs, but this one was a headache
I use to sandblast them before I start to weld on them helped find out every place on it that needed repair as metal would disappear but quit doing that due to the nasty dust so I use a pressure washer my self 5000psi but still even then some gets by and then I have to fix it too
Now that I have a 5000 psi PW I got me one of those wet blasting attachments for it and WoW what a difference it makes wet sandblasting is no mess just sucks to do in cold weather though

It is a siphon feed kit but I don't like it as it does clog in the hose so I made it a down feed/gravity feed just hang the bucket and works much better but you are limited to a finer blasting media eBay had a cheap jit for 26 bucks

Also picked up one of those foaming guns for engine cleaning I used a buddys foaming gum with the commercial degreaser I use and it works really well not using the foaming gun but using the foaming gun I can use much less than without it as it foams it more than enough to let it hang /cling on and cuts the grease just as good so thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone might find a need to save a little chemical and time and labor foam gun just adapts to the pressure washer just like the normal Hi pressure gun does... also found on eBay for I think was 18 or 19 bucks both with free shipping....