Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Members Only > SFT Information

SFT Search:   

Old 09-04-2006, 12:36 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Default Ethanol plants

I am probably already behind the ball here but there are going to be a couple plants built near here. I am sure there will be lots of stainless piping? What else could a guy gear up for? I could hook up with a rich Indian girlfriend could make us some points for contracting?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Elite Member

They're building 3 more here in Iowa and a Bean plant for Bio-Diesel. Having a millwright ticket would help get you in.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:20 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

That isnt what I want to do, if I wanted to sign on I would. I should have been on top of this before now and I was so busy but now I am wondering what I can come up with, something they have trouble doing or some specialty welding??? I have been busy the last few yrs and havnt positioned myself to do major contracting, something on a smaller scale is the ticket. I havnt got a clue what one of these looks like.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:25 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

If this was a huge job I would do like the old fart said, put some food trailers on and forget any fab work but these things are springing up all over.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to AntiBling Send a message via MSN to AntiBling

Sberry, if you want to make money and be independent welder. Pipeline is where its at. My dad says they are going nuts down there in eastern wyoming and even my dad is thinking of signing on to truck for them cause the money is to be had there.

If you're looking for a winter job, thats where I would look, its got remarkably mild climate where they live.

The true weld test isn't done by bending metal or with x-rays, the true testament to how strong a weld is how much you cuss trying to take a piece off that you welded in the wrong place. ~ AntiBling
Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 AM

We did a little subcontracting on an ADM ethanol plany near KC back in '99 and 2000; subbed the stairs, handrail, mezanines and a lot of the screw pipe for utility air and so on. Also re-fitted some heat exhangers that came through with the ports in the wrong location. I kinda did stuff that the millwrights didn't want to do and that the pipe hands felt was beneath them. I had no long term contract; just hourly rates for myself and three other men; billed by the week and was done when they no longer needed us. After about a month they didn't even ask "about how long do you think"...........they just said go do it. I have done a fair amount of stainless pipe too; but not on a job of that scale. The big thing (from my perspective) is WHO the prime contractor is and how you get along with their people on the ground at the particular location.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:36 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

I was working on other projects and this kind of slipped up on me or I would have been ahead of the curve. A couple of the local politicos involved are real aholes so I stayed away but they are clearing land for this now.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Blast this!

Find the General Contractor and explain your speciality that you can do for him. Even if bids for subs are all done there is always the aw heck we forgot.Do you have a SBERRY fab business on paper .
There is a lot of jobs around here that end up going to the fab shops ,even by the generals subs .To get in around here requires that 1 millon liability policy ,let's us out of a little as the policy writers for Sandblasting are very few and require a history before they will write the larger ones.It took a year to find the 1st underwriter willing to talk.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:24 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Insuring up isnt a problem and I would likely form another LLC for this particular work. I have some ability for contracting thru my other biz but should keep this seperate if it amounts to anyuthing sizeable. I was kind of curious what the physical plants look like in a sense, I have been in a lot of plants but never a ethanol one. I would assume lots of tanks and pipe. Most of it stainless? My ins guy was out the other day with the underwriter for a new building, the underwriter likes my setup and he along with the agent say they have to close one eye on a lot of places but mine is a go. O had someone run into the side of my shop the other day, one of my neighbors Grandkids, I told him, dont lose sleep, I will take care of it. One of my men ask, are you going to turn this in to ins,, no, first I never make a petty claim and second I have 5000 $ deductable. I fix it in about an hour with a spare sheet.

Last edited by Sberry; 09-09-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Make all the money you can while you can.

http://images.google.com/images?sour...ethanol+plants

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html