Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Cranky Crustacean

Default Sears 2stage 2cyl compressor

I "horse traded" for a Sears 220v 80gal. 2stage 2cyl. Air Compressor like this one..

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...hdMod=10217316

It needed a new pressure switch (done) and now I'm checking out the safety pop off valve condition and digging around the shop to find a new pressure gauge to fit onto it.

Does anyone have a similar unit ? I just want to replace the old safety valve with a brand new one of the correct pressure pop off . Would also like to find the correct max pressure for such a unit.

They usually are rated for 175psi output aren't they ? I've looked all over the thing ,but no luck & Sears wasn't any help when I called them (NO INFO) just parts...LOL

If I set the pressure switch at 160psi then a pop off valve rated for 175psi ought to work out ?

I'll keep researching similar type units to cross check specs ,but perhaps someone has the same unit and the correct max pressure specs.

Thanks..
Old 12-27-2013, 04:30 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Smile

Dave

check the metal tag attached to the tank...

it should tell if it is ASME certified, the recommended working pressure..
and the year of manufacture..

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)

Last edited by H80N; 12-27-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Cranky Crustacean

I did... Buckeye Boiler Co. national build #240836 built 1979

That was all that tag said no pressure specs.

The tank was built in 1979 the compressor was built in Jan. 1980
Old 12-27-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I did... Buckeye Boiler Co. national build #240836 built 1979

That was all that tag said no pressure specs.

The tank was built in 1979 the compressor was built in Jan. 1980
no pressure rating marked..??

a lot of the Sears stuff of that vintage was made by the same folks as Grainger/Speedaire or DeVilbiss... maybe cross it that way..?

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 12-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Twice the size--half the man

I have/had a couple of old Sears units, none quite that big though. They were the largest portable 110/220v units in the early 80's, similar pump designs. Neither of them were over 125psi. None of my similar vintage tools recommended anything over 90psi usage so 125 was more than enough to run them.

I'd err on the side of caution and turn it down, you're likely to blow a seal or such in the pump before you hit the tank pressure.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 12-27-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
I have/had a couple of old Sears units, none quite that big though. They were the largest portable 110/220v units in the early 80's, similar pump designs. Neither of them were over 125psi. None of my similar vintage tools recommended anything over 90psi usage so 125 was more than enough to run them.

I'd err on the side of caution and turn it down, you're likely to blow a seal or such in the pump before you hit the tank pressure.
Dubby
if yours is one of the single stage units.. those sound like right pressures..

the two stage ones typically run about 175psi

pics of a Sears single stage 2cyl that was given to me... ( 1hp 120/240vac )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compressor 004-c.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	112465   Click image for larger version

Name:	compressor 002.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	112466  

Last edited by H80N; 12-27-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Cranky Crustacean

This unit is a lot more HD than that particular compressor Heiti The plate may have stated " something to the effect that it was tested to ACFM specs" although it did not list WHAT those specs were...LOL

It was used for a body shop and they put a new motor on it at some point ( )

The pressure switch went out so they bypassed it and just turned the power off/on (pretty stupid) I bought a new switch for under $20 delivered. Let's just say there was a lot of African ingenuity going on ,but they never blew it up and it worked I'd just rather "fix" any issues it might have especially the max pressure safety valve before I put the pressure to it.

When it was theirs it was also their chances they were messin' with .....since it's now mine I'd like to eliminate any chances of a loud "BOOM"

I probably won't have $200 in it by the time I get it operational including the new parts & pieces... I have a similar (maybe bigger) gas compressor, but I wanted an electric 2 stage for the shop..

According to the chart I found last week on Craftsman tools http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=40498

It may be a Robert Shaw manufactured compressor (102 first digits of model number) I haven't tracked any info down on that yet though.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
This unit is a lot more HD than that particular compressor Heiti The plate may have stated " something to the effect that it was tested to ACFM specs" although it did not list WHAT those specs were...LOL

It was used for a body shop and they put a new motor on it at some point ( )

The pressure switch went out so they bypassed it and just turned the power off/on (pretty stupid) I bought a new switch for under $20 delivered. Let's just say there was a lot of African ingenuity going on ,but they never blew it up and it worked I'd just rather "fix" any issues it might have especially the max pressure safety valve before I put the pressure to it.

When it was theirs it was also their chances they were messin' with .....since it's now mine I'd like to eliminate any chances of a loud "BOOM"

I probably won't have $200 in it by the time I get it operational including the new parts & pieces... I have a similar (maybe bigger) gas compressor, but I wanted an electric 2 stage for the shop..

According to the chart I found last week on Craftsman tools http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=40498

It may be a Robert Shaw manufactured compressor (102 first digits of model number) I haven't tracked any info down on that yet though.
Dave

I gotcha...

just showing Dubby that they were totally different animals...

BTW.... the Sears Safety Valve part number

M2843

crosses to a Champion 200psi blowoff....

http://www.frankfordparts.com/ch-m2838.html

Old 12-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Cranky Crustacean

200 psi was my original assumption for the required safety valve since most every 2 stage unit I've ever seen goes to 175 psi during operation so it follows that the safety valve should pop at 200 psi.

I saw one the other day that was rated for 190 psi and several valves rated at 175 psi

I'm probably going to route plumbing to at least one larger 250 gal. tank for use only when I might be using the cabinet blaster otherwise it'll be blocked off for normal day to day use.

Still can't find info on the actual manufacturer of this thing though which seems odd.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
200 psi was my original assumption for the required safety valve since most every 2 stage unit I've ever seen goes to 175 psi during operation so it follows that the safety valve should pop at 200 psi.

I saw one the other day that was rated for 190 psi and several valves rated at 175 psi

I'm probably going to route plumbing to at least one larger 250 gal. tank for use only when I might be using the cabinet blaster otherwise it'll be blocked off for normal day to day use.

Still can't find info on the actual manufacturer of this thing though which seems odd.
Some pics of the compressor pump will tell us a bunch....

if we are lucky there are some numbers or a tag on the pump too...

Last edited by H80N; 12-27-2013 at 07:00 PM.