Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Elite Member

Default Welding an Axle Flange

Anyone know if it is advisable to weld / fill an ovaled out wheel stud hole on a lift truck axle flange that has all the threaded holes for the wheel studs. On this lift truck there are 8 holes for wheel lug bolts. We were told that no threaded inserts are allowed due to liability. They also will not put the lift back into use with just 7 of the 8 lug bolts installed.. I was wondering if the damaged hole could be welded shut, then drilled and tapped for a new lug bolt. I am not sure if the flange that the bolt holes are in is anything much harder than medium hard steel. If this is possible, what MIG wire or rods could be used that would allow the filled area to be drilled and tapped fairly easy. The flange is approx 1" thick.............thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Below Wholesale

Probably not proper, but I would warm up the flange with OA, weld it shut with 7018, heat again and slow cool in kitty litter. Grind smooth and drill and tap.

I have welded automotive hubs cold with no such precautions and never had an issue even after many thousands of miles of abuse.

Last edited by Cavalry; 12-01-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Elite Member

Cavalry,

Thanks for the info. I will have to run the idea past the manager who is not happy about the possible $3K drive rebuild cost. I guess if they replace the axle, numerous other drive unit parts have to be replaced at the same time or they end up with an excessive wear problem.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:16 PM

Another option might be to find(if you can) a wheel stud the next possible size up on the axle threaded hole..a pressed in type stud like used on passenger cars and trucks...just ream or drill the hole out to the recommended size for that stud..then press the new stud in.

Don't DREAM you're life away..LIVE you're dreams

Lincoln Ranger 225 on home built trailer
2009 Miller Maxstar 200 DX
Lincoln 180 Pro Mig/Fluxcore
WeldCraft WP 17V 25R Flex head TIG Rig
Hougen Mag drill w/slugger bits
Several Makita,Metabo,Milwaukee,DeWalt grinders/cutters 4 1/2",6" and 7" and end grinders
Milwaukee Porta-Band
Ingersoll Rand 60 gallon air compressor
Old 12-02-2010, 01:57 AM

High potential to warp the axle.

May be the machine shop that was going to drill out the new hole could make an oversized splined shoulder bolt with the same sized thread.

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl View Post
High potential to warp the axle.

May be the machine shop that was going to drill out the new hole could make an oversized splined shoulder bolt with the same sized thread.
I think this is wheel bolts not lugs
Old 12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Cavalry,

Thanks for the info. I will have to run the idea past the manager who is not happy about the possible $3K drive rebuild cost. I guess if they replace the axle, numerous other drive unit parts have to be replaced at the same time or they end up with an excessive wear problem.
A time only repair sounds like a good alternative to try. If something goes bad go to the next level
Old 12-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Elite Member

I understand where management would want to make sure they limit their liability. There is probably a lawyer somewhere who would try to convince a jury that a missing lug bolt was the cause of a lift truck loosing traction on a wet floor and injuring someone.

Another problem I have is the junk this particular lift truck manufacturer puts out. In my opinion there is way to many computers, sensors, and other un-needed garbage on these trucks. All they need to do is go forward and backwards, and lift and lower loads. I really believe that the only reason this manufacturer makes equipment is so they can create profit by selling parts.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Blast this!

And keep the C/O limits under Regulation. A few years ago the rules almost were changed to ban LP lift trucks inside all buildings. We were scared as there are very few 8k electric trucks out there.