Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 10-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Elite Member

Default SA 200 (Pipeliner)

Well, I see for the 2005 model year, Lincoln has finally started using Jap-Crap engines (Kubota) for the 200 amp diesel welder.

I guess it's the "American Way"....buy cheaper components, and charge MORE !
Old 10-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Project Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markopolo
Well, I see for the 2005 model year, Lincoln has finally started using Jap-Crap engines (Kubota) for the 200 amp diesel welder.

I guess it's the "American Way"....buy cheaper components, and charge MORE !
You may want to re-think the crap part of the above statement, Kubota are quality engines.

Millermatic 200 w/ SKP-35 Spot Pulse Weld Panel, Tweco MIG-GUN #2, running ER70S-6 .035 wire on CO2, Spoolmatic 1 Spool Gun
Old 10-28-2004, 08:48 PM
dulknife

Default kubota

you are wrong about kubota. i have a L225 tractor 20 years old, very good equipment. ken
Old 10-28-2004, 09:01 PM

Those little kubotas are good industrial engines. There is a guy in either texas or louisiana that has been modifying pipeliners for years and one option he has is that kubota motor. It's a very expensive option but if you run it 6/10's or 7/12's the fuel savings adds up fast.
Classic II's have had german engines for years. Those Deutze diesels are have been around forever and they are very reliable and the most fuel efficient thing Lincoln makes. A Classic II and a gas SA200 working side by side on opposite sides of the pipe, the diesel will burn 2 gallons to every 10 the gas machine burns and that's a typical day if your busy. That's about $18 a day times 6 days a week = $108/week for a six week job = $648, 10 six week jobs and you've almost made the price of the machine in fuel savings.
Those pipeliners date to the 30's and Lincoln knows better than to put out a version that will tarnish the name.

JTMcC.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:17 PM

Yep, I agree, my Dad has one he bought when I was a kid, I bielieve it's a 16 or 18Hp model, with a three cylinder diesel engine. Awesome little tractor, great engine. Very high build quality too. The equipment he bought with it (non Kubota) is mostly worn out, but the tractor starts like the first day he took delivery, and that's including days where it's -40ยบ out. He's had it for close to 20 years now and hasn't done anything to it but change the oil. Nothing, zip, nada... I've had nothing but American cars, and I love 'em, but I've never had one that good... !

I don't want to start a war here, I understand how buying offshore stuff might put you guys out, but sometimes you just gotta put things into perspective, you're not alone on this planet. We all (different nations, I mean) have our good and bad products, it just means as consumers we have to be wise and well informed as to who is putting out good stuff. The United States of America doesn't have the market cornered on good products, other nations design and build good stuff too, especially when they've been in the business as long as Kubota. And trust me, they're not cheap either (cost wise, I mean...), by the way!!

I say way to go, Lincoln, great choice! Heck, I'd buy one in a second if I was in the market!

Climbing down off my soapbox now...
Luc
Old 10-28-2004, 09:40 PM
Elite Member

OK...OK....OK.......Put the guns down !....I'm sorry !

I guess, (being from a "blue-collar" city like Detroit).....I just get a little irritated when I know full well that we are capable of building fine industrial engines and then I see brother factory workers standing in the soup-line because big companys (like Lincoln) are buying their engines from the other side of the world.

I Apologize....
Old 10-28-2004, 09:52 PM
Project Phoenix

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10......for the word count

Millermatic 200 w/ SKP-35 Spot Pulse Weld Panel, Tweco MIG-GUN #2, running ER70S-6 .035 wire on CO2, Spoolmatic 1 Spool Gun
Old 10-28-2004, 10:50 PM

Everybody, not just Lincoln, is limited in choice of engine manufacturers because of the off road emissions laws.
My understanding is that Lincoln had to quit using Perkins diesel's because they didn't have a motor that would pass emissions. They have gone back to using some Perkins engines so they must be making the limits now. There are a lot of different factors to consider.
A friend of mine had a SAM 400 on his truck and wanted another one, this is the reason the Lincoln rep gave him for the lack of Perkins power available at that time.
I'm not sure if there is an American company making diesels that small, may be but i don't know who it would be.

JTMcC.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:55 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Default Perkins.

Technically, Perkins is now an American Co. true the engine are still made in the UK and Europe but Caterpillar owns Perkins lock, stock and barrel.

I do believe you are right no one in the US proper makes a small diesel. Cat's smallest is a 4 cylinder and I think, not sure, but is around a 50Hp engine. I think Miller may use on their big machines I will have to look.

Whoa, Surprise just pulled out the Miller 2004 catalog and they have a Pro 300 with a Cat 3 cylinder engine, model 3013C, might be a relabeled Perkins don't know for sure. Also the Big 40 has the Cat 3024C, 4 cylinder diesel, that is the one I was thinking of. The Miller Cat. doesn't give HP rating.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 10-29-2004, 06:30 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder
........The Miller Cat. doesn't give HP rating.
Looks to me like it's 22hp @ 1800 rpm for the Pro 300 and 33hp @ 1800 rpm for the Big 40.