Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-14-2019, 08:48 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Ought to work. The only comment I have is to use concrete. cheaper and stronger than most grouts.
Yes I was planning to use concrete for those reasons. I suppose it wouldn't be much more difficult to install than grout.

I am indeed building a wall for a barn. There will be six courses of block four feet high.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:54 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
The simplest grout pump sold is nothing more than a rubber diaphragm
boat bailing pump, bolted to a board to step on.

what you have there, I built one for a contractor friend, is called a "Tremie"
I was at one time considering a pump of sorts. I thought a piston type might work. I soon remembered the tractor loader, with it I can take advantage of gravity.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Are you using rebar as well? That looks a lot more convenient than the trowel I ladled my grout in with.

You can use a random orbital sander with a rubber pad to vibrate the blocks enough to get the grout to settle and bring air to the top.
Yes, I have vertical bar coming out of the footing. There will also be a bond beam top course with two bars.

Below is a picture of the build site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	150753  

Old 05-15-2019, 06:40 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-720GPH...ateway&sr=8-17
Old 05-15-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
Close up of gate valve. The latch is also the handle. The latch is held in the striker under the force of its own deflection.
Is there a need to be able to open the valve in either direction? I can see this setup bending slightly and losing it's "positivity". A simple "C" shaped receiver with an entry ramp for the handle may help it maintain the seal better?
Old 05-15-2019, 09:09 AM
Da Chief

Pretty nifty design.

When I built my shop, I put rebar (1/2 inch) in every other hole. The rebar'ed hole was filled with concrete, the open hole was filled with sand. The sand filling was topped with a sheet metal stopper, 2 1/2 courses short of the poured in place tie beam, really strengthened the wall at a modest added cost.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 05-15-2019, 09:46 AM
Director of Languages

Red what was the purpose of the sheet metal?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:08 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLNG View Post
Is there a need to be able to open the valve in either direction? I can see this setup bending slightly and losing it's "positivity". A simple "C" shaped receiver with an entry ramp for the handle may help it maintain the seal better?
I guess what you are proposing is a sliding gate valve as opposed to the pivoting gate valve I have made. I considered that however I thought there would be a higher chance of a stone jamming in the slide.

The metal I used is three times thicker than the tank and welded all around. The pivot pin is a 1/2" grade 8 bolt with a grease fitting to minimize wear. If there is to be any bending it will be of the tank, there is not much I am willing to do about that.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:47 PM
Da Chief

John Boy, The contractor was required to put them in every cell, prior to pouring the tie beam, to stop the mud from filling each cell.

The County inspector was shown the print requirement to pour solid, every cell with rebar, I had spec'd triple the rebar, or one bar, foundation to tie beam in each block as part of the blocking process.

He would not allow every cell to be concrete filled, so I filled each open cell with clean sand. (to enhance thermal mass retention) He then required each sand filled cell be capped with a sheetmetal "plug". (no, I have no idea why) Even at $100.00 an hour for the pump, all his silly stop orders didn't add too much to the end cost, and I got to win. (build it the way I drew it) It is still certified as a class P-1 storm shelter.

It took almost a month to get a "ready to pour" certificate. I had to produce a letter of acceptance from my insurance company to get that.

Remember, this shop was built just after Hurricane Katrina came thru, lots of stupid things got enacted and refused By "interirm" inspectors, 'specially after Charlie came thru a couple of months later.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 05-15-2019, 04:21 PM
Elite Member

This is easier than a long handled shovel ?