Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 07-07-2005, 06:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to banzaitoyota
Default Cuting Torch Problems: Technique or Equipment

hmmmm. Where to start. Went out to the shop needed to cut some 3/8" plate. Results were horrific. Dross kept filling in the kerf, no matter what speed or O2 Pressure I used.

Being easily frustrated lately I left the shop in disgust at my lacking abilities.

Now, thinking about it I think I may have caused the problem. I used my Regulators (Victor : acetylene #150-15-510 0781-8981 & Victor oxygen #150-60-540 0781-8980) which were purchased to be used with my Mecco Midget Torch outfit.

Is it possible that these regulators dont flow enough to cut 3/8" plate correctly?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Yes girls, he's single!

I use a fuel gas called HPG, similar to MAPP gas. I have the fuel gas pressure at around 8psi, and the oxygen around 45 psi. Depending on what tip you have in the torch, adjust your fuel until the orange flame just leaves the tip, and then add oxygen for a perty blue flame, with no feathery blue extending from the main blue flame. This is max flow of the tip. Your speed after starting the cut, is determined by the tip size. Stay in the cut line and adjust your speed to the flow of molten metal blowing on the bottom side. Angle your torch tip in a forward position so that you are pre-heating the metal in front of you.

You were probably trying to go too fast for the tip in the torch.
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 07-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

What did you have them set at??????acetylene at 5# oxygen at 20# that should do the trick.Clean Tip??????If the ox reg is holding when you start the cut it should work.Don't hold to much of a angle for 3/8 I only angle my tip on gauge metal.....Hope this helps...
Old 07-07-2005, 07:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to banzaitoyota

Tip is clean, O2 at 24#, Acytylene at 5#
Old 07-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Yes girls, he's single!

Looks like my oxygen pressure is set too high. (NOT)
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 07-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-footn
Looks like my oxygen pressure is set too high. (NOT)
Different setting for different peeps I guess,But I do most of my cutting at those settings..
Old 07-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Yes girls, he's single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7018
Different setting for different peeps I guess,But I do most of my cutting at those settings..
Me like to travel as fast as possible
Old 07-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaitoyota
Tip is clean, O2 at 24#, Acytylene at 5#
You might look at travel speed banzai...........If your tip is clean (preheat AND cutting holes), it should work.

Also, you might look at the steel you're cutting.....if it's really rusty or dirty, that might make a difference......and what position are you trying to cut ?....vertical ?....horizontal ?....overhead ?.....or just flat ?

I use 5 lbs. on the Acetylene, and 30 lbs. on the 0², and with a 0-3-101 Victor tip, (0 size).....I can cut 3/8" plate like a hack-saw...... BEAUTIFUL CUT !
Old 07-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Pit Boss

Maybe you didn't use the correct tip size for that plate?????????
Old 07-08-2005, 10:20 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Something else about clean tips,,, is this a know good tip or a "community" hammer. Tips can get ragged in the lance hole and never clean up, I can even feel it when using a tip cleaner. I was cutting with one a while back, scrapping and spend a half a day with a crummy tip, I finally pitched it in the woods, what a difference. They get hard crust built up iside that doest clean out.