Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-23-2020, 09:51 AM

Default T-Handle Ratchet

I'd like to make a T-Handled ratchet wrench by welding some cheap components together.

I'd start with this 1/2" thumb drive ratchet:
https://www.menards.com/main/tools/h...8157527058.htm

Then weld on two of these 6" breaker bars on opposing sides of the thumb drive after removing the flex heads first, as I just want the nice smooth polished handles:
https://www.menards.com/main/tools/h...8157527058.htm

The end result I'm looking for is something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MA81UK...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Any special processes to follow other than just grinding off the chrome or whatever polished finish these have before tig welding them together? Can I just use my normal mild steel tig filler rods?
Old 05-23-2020, 10:09 AM
The Real Deal

Why not just buy one
Old 05-23-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Why not just buy one
I'd like to have one by end of day Wednesday, and I can't find one locally available or that can ship free by then.

The shipping cost to have the one I linked to in my hands this week would be $37 and even then it would be too late, as I'd need it before Thursday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shipping Costs.png
Views:	28
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	156229  
Old 05-23-2020, 05:17 PM
Elite Member

I would be concerned about the welds holding and subsequent injuries. My experience when welding on tools has not always been good. I think it has to do with the carbon content of the steel, the welds don’t always stay together even though they look good. Keep this in mind when using it if you go this route.

A better way I think would be to insert the thumb ratchet inside the cavity of a one piece handle but this would require significantly more effort.

I would also be concerned about any springs inside the ratchet mechanism, the heat may alter the performance. I would disassemble it before welding.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:37 PM
Made From Scratch

I doubt the walls of the thumbdrive ratchet head are thick enough to weld on and get good strength without ruining the internals.

I think if I was in a bind and needed to do this I would use a normal ratchet, and then take a piece of flat stock about 14 inches long and drill a hole in the center that is a slip fit over the ratchet handle. Bend the flat stock in a U shape around the ratchet head and the legs of the U will form the opposing handle. Smash them together and weld them into a solid leg if you like.

Alternately you could do the same thing with a shorter piece of flat bar, and just make the U long enough to weld a round bar inbetween the ends. This way you still aren't welding on the ratchet.