Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 07-11-2018, 12:19 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I set the small 4'' palmgren vise on it
Just out of curiosity, when you say small 4" palmgren vise, is this vice for a typical drill press or is this more of a 'mill' vise? Palmgren makes drill vises and they do make mill vises, one compared to the other is about half the weight in each size.

These cast tables are not meant for that much weight. Hell mine would flex just from setting mine on the drill pole.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Just out of curiosity, when you say small 4" palmgren vise, is this vice for a typical drill press or is this more of a 'mill' vise? Palmgren makes drill vises and they do make mill vises, one compared to the other is about half the weight in each size.

These cast tables are not meant for that much weight. Hell mine would flex just from setting mine on the drill pole.
Hell, just putting down pressure on the bit will cause mine to flex a tiny bit. (could be the column too, but it's all additive ) I think the bulk of drill presses were made for woodworking. You really don't get into good presses until you get the dedicated machines.

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 07-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post

This is the one remember in another post where it looked like this
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0081.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	146065
Then a little clean up some spit and elbow rubbing and now looks like this
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180324_180307.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	146066

It has some weight but the original cross slide vise was far heavier and is a drill press vise...

there was a fracture in the Colum collar prior to me getting it for sure so I assume in moving and set up it just decided to give way finally but it is repaired and for sure feels much stouter than before....

-----------------------------------------------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 07-11-2018, 02:23 PM
Lord of the Minions

Sam, I've recorded flexing on a 8 ton radial arm drill with a pair of 24 point drill gang boxes of 2" holding 24 each drill bits boring holes in 4" plate. lol 48 holes at one go.

On my drills there is a big difference in drilling spot on holes in the shop. One gets done on the mill, the others that do not matter get done on the presses.

Although on this last HF floor drill press bought, I ordered a second column clamp and another table set. I added the 2nd column clamp under the one used now and have an added extension that goes under and clamps to the outer end/edge of the table used. Keeps things from flexing if I take the little extra time to set it up properly. otherwise, it's along for the ride as I screw up or down on the table feed.

I asked as I've seen a 6" Kurt milling vise sitting on a 2 hp Sears drill press before and was just wondering.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!