Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Kibble King

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
CAn you get a shot of the text as well?
Here you go.

Maybe the picture won't be sideways. I'm not sure why my phone does that when I upload pictures to here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180710_225814683.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	146055  
Old 07-10-2018, 10:15 PM
Post Fiend

Updated four year old colored diagram.

One thing to keep in mind on your fuel filter housing or in line there is a bypass valve. If this is a manual valve disregard but If this has a ball and spring setup some sludge/junk could be caught in it and putting all your pressure back to the tank. Something to check.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33F5C2C3-0858-42A9-B513-E7AF8D3B2624.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	146056  
Old 07-10-2018, 10:33 PM
Kibble King

Looks like I need to find the charging valve and go from there. Maybe it's stuck in such a way to only let fuel to the tourqe converter. The bypass valve is spring loaded and on the side of the injection pump filter. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:40 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRedFord View Post
Looks like I need to find the charging valve and go from there. Maybe it's stuck in such a way to only let fuel to the tourqe converter. The bypass valve is spring loaded and on the side of the injection pump filter. Thanks.
Charging valve may do it as well yes. If the bypass valve is partially open you’ll never build much pressure at all. Also very common for the springs to get weak in the valves and not hold enough seat pressure to develop the needed line pressure.

Seems like you had just enough to bleed the injectors but not to run. It can be a supply issue, it can be the pump not producing flow or the system not holding pressure.

Finding, cleaning and inspecting both these valves is a good thing to do to get full power once it is running.

While the fuel system is apart test your fuel pressure gauge with some shop air (not too many psi) and see if it atleast moves.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:34 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
I’d check into the “obsolete” stuff very closely personally. I have a really hard time believing there’s anything cat obsolete.
There are no obsolete Cat parts....there are "Cat Classic" parts made in China as most cat parts are now. You have to make the parts peckerhead work because Cat Classic is a separate catalog.

I have put electric pumps on most diesels I own but not Cat. They make good cast iron shit and it is repairable.
Look here

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 07-11-2018, 07:33 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
There are no obsolete Cat parts....there are "Cat Classic" parts made in China as most cat parts are now. You have to make the parts peckerhead work because Cat Classic is a separate catalog.

I have put electric pumps on most diesels I own but not Cat. They make good cast iron shit and it is repairable.
Look here
10 out of 10 times it’s a parts guy being lazy. I still get parts for my 1935 John Deere B from Deere. Got a wiring harness for my 1971 4320 also.

I know for a fact there is no obsolete part at Cummins. If you need something and it’s old and out of stock there is a room full of prints and an old grumpy guy with a bunch of machine tools that will MAKE YOUR PART. Lead time may be more than you want but Cummins is very proud of the fact there are no obsolete parts.

All manufacturing is in China now including Cummins. Every 6.7 ISB on the road has a chinesium block. They can make decent stuff if the desire for quality control is there.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:09 PM
Kibble King

After work today I went out and messed around with the D8 some more. I cracked the bolts loose for the supply line to the fuel pump and had fuel there.

I decided I've got nothing to loose. Started spinning the engine over and keeping the can about two feet from the air cleaner I gave little bursts of ether to keep it running. I'd say about two minutes in there was a bit more cackle from the exhaust and I backed off and it ran on it's own. I was mindful of the leak I have from the water manifold but I let it run a few minutes. Pressure started to register on the tourqe converter fluid gauge and settled out at mid range. The fuel pressure gauge needle started to quiver where before there was no movement at all.

Now for the issues I'm seeing now...

How is the o-ring supposed to be installed on the lid for the tourqe converter filter? I may not have it on right. It's leaking.

The fuel filter did not come with new gaskets. I reused the old ones for the lid. Oops.

The cork gasket for the valve cover spacer, is it installed dry it did I need to use RTV with it? Weeping oil a bit there.

I didn't replace the gasket between the water manifolds. I should have. You'll see the leak.

Now for some videos. Posted in order of filming.

https://youtu.be/n6R9PHU_Dow

https://youtu.be/ENJR_5A4njM

https://youtu.be/453miRB8IUA
Old 07-11-2018, 08:45 PM
Blast this!

Congratulations , Now to fix the leaks . The Boss going to haul it for you to the Farm ?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Kibble King

Yup. We already talked about it. That was wen he suggested I do some "shakedown runs" with the D8 on the farm before we haul it away to my property. Much easier to fix any surprises here with all the equipment I have at my disposal then it will be later. He joked and said he would do it for $500 but that he would really do it for free. I'm still going to offer him a fair amount of money because time and fuel are worth something. It's a 20 mile drive each way.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:42 PM
The Real Deal

Congratulations!!!!!! Good going

Ted