Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:

Old 07-21-2023, 02:52 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Someone said the same thing to me about marriage...
They were right, you married a saint.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2023, 07:15 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
They were right, you married a saint.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Suck up.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 07-22-2023, 10:54 PM
Made From Scratch

Sorry for the lack of updates. The welder came in 2 shipments (gun, helmet, and free wire on the first day, welder 2 days later). Fedex was kind enough to just dump it all on the front sidewalk and leave but nothing got stolen or damaged that I know of.

I currently have 10 horses from our farm at the county fair and I do all the arena maintenance on 5 arenas and help run the horse shows every day. We have 113 horses on exhibit this year and participation has been really high so I am pretty much at the fair from 7am to midnight every day and have not been home to do anything but shower and sleep since last thursday.

I am hoping to play with the new machine this coming week
Old 07-23-2023, 10:28 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I am hoping to play with the new machine this coming week
Most excellent!

Old 07-30-2023, 04:55 PM
Made From Scratch

Life continues to be a punch in the face most days but I finally got time in the shop today and put the new welder together. I will make a new post with an unboxing/first impressions and post some pics when I get a chance.

I went ahead and set both guns up and I am thrilled with how that works out. If you tap the trigger on the aluminum gun it automatically goes to the settings you were last using on aluminum. If you pick the steel gun up and tap that trigger it goes directly to the settings you last used for steel. The only thing you have to do is remember to open the right bottle. You also have to watch how you leave the guns laying around because both contact tips go hot at the same time.

Using just the factory settings and the autoset menu it welds spatter free on both steel and aluminum. On steel it definitely welds cleaner than my lincoln, but does not dig quite as deep. The difference is such that after a couple pounds of wire I probably won't care but I can also play with the parameters and see what happens. I have only run about 6 inches of weld so far. The adustable run in may have something to do with it feeling different as well, that is not a feature on my old transformer lincoln.

On aluminum I got full penetration on 3/16 diamond plate and it didn't even grunt. I'm not going to know what to do with this kind of power available

The standard 15 foot mig gun is a bit stubby compared to the lincoln gun, but has a nice weight and generally feels better quality.

The 30A spoolgun is heavy but not at all unwieldy and I think is actually more compact than the cheap spool gun I was using. The 30 feet of cable on it is going to be great for working on trucks and trailers also. I need to run a wire calibration on it still but I just wanted to see if it would weld today and it does great.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:31 PM
Do I have a life?

Quote:
The 30A spoolgun is heavy but not at all unwieldy and I think is actually more compact than the cheap spool gun I was using.
I will often drape the cable over my shoulder to allow for more freedom of movement without all the cable weight tugging on the gun.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 07-30-2023, 06:56 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Life continues to be a punch in the face most days but I finally got time in the shop today and put the new welder together. I will make a new post with an unboxing/first impressions and post some pics when I get a chance.

I went ahead and set both guns up and I am thrilled with how that works out. If you tap the trigger on the aluminum gun it automatically goes to the settings you were last using on aluminum. If you pick the steel gun up and tap that trigger it goes directly to the settings you last used for steel. The only thing you have to do is remember to open the right bottle. You also have to watch how you leave the guns laying around because both contact tips go hot at the same time.

Using just the factory settings and the autoset menu it welds spatter free on both steel and aluminum. On steel it definitely welds cleaner than my lincoln, but does not dig quite as deep. The difference is such that after a couple pounds of wire I probably won't care but I can also play with the parameters and see what happens. I have only run about 6 inches of weld so far. The adustable run in may have something to do with it feeling different as well, that is not a feature on my old transformer lincoln.

On aluminum I got full penetration on 3/16 diamond plate and it didn't even grunt. I'm not going to know what to do with this kind of power available

The standard 15 foot mig gun is a bit stubby compared to the lincoln gun, but has a nice weight and generally feels better quality.

The 30A spoolgun is heavy but not at all unwieldy and I think is actually more compact than the cheap spool gun I was using. The 30 feet of cable on it is going to be great for working on trucks and trailers also. I need to run a wire calibration on it still but I just wanted to see if it would weld today and it does great.
Happy to hear you have had good first impressions. Welcome to the dark side!

The run-in is likely what you are experiencing. I'm personally not a big fan of it, but you are right that after a little bit you get used to it and start relying on it. Although I avoid it like the plague, that "feature" if you want to call it that is a lifesaver when welding exhaust.

I'm wishing I had that machine right now. Doing several feet of lap joints on .125 aluminum and the Hobart has set taps for voltage. It usually isn't an issue, but for this particular application on one tap it's just a little too hot and starts "over penetrating" and the next lower I can get to work alright but it has tons of spatter. Having infinite control is much nicer not to mention pulse. I should be tigging this, but my shaky ass can't make that look as good as I'd like either, lol.
Old 07-30-2023, 08:00 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
On steel it definitely welds cleaner than my lincoln, but does not dig quite as deep.
Adjust your voltage and inductance to get the arc you want.

Old 07-30-2023, 10:00 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Adjust your voltage and inductance to get the arc you want.
That is the plan. I am in no way bitching about this machine, for it to weld like this straight out of the box with no tweaking is great, and everything can be adjusted.
My lincoln is a tap machine with 7 voltage settings but infinite wire control. After a couple hundred pounds of wire on it, it kind of has me trained. The MP210 has more adjustments on it and I just tweaked it to weld like the 216. I'll play with the miller and get it where I want, but it honestly is perfectly good as is, just different.