Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:

Old 09-01-2012, 07:41 PM

Default Input request for frame design

I bought a china made 8000lbs 12v winch very cheap by impulse from a online auction some time ago. http://www.netthandelen.no/auction/2749858
Manual:59-900 12V vinsj (engelsk).pdf

I figured I'll put it on my olf MF35 tracktor. I made a drawing in Google Sketcup of a frame that mounts to the supports for the ballast frame. (see pictures)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-23_18-36-24_687.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	94946Click image for larger version

Name:	Brakkett for frontmontering-transparent.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	94944Click image for larger version

Name:	Brakkett for frontmontering sett ovenfra.png
Views:	819
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	94945
Red is Existing supports, blue is the new 100x10mm stuff, and green is winch and cable guide.

It is in 100x10mm steel, it might be overkill, but it's what i have. My problem is that this design requires about twice as much steel as i have at hand...

I also uploaded the 3d drawing, but had to rename it to .doc, just rename to "Brakkett for frontmontering.skp" before opening in Sketcup.
Brakkett for frontmontering .doc

Anyone have any input on this? Tips for reducing material use, structual considerations, and so on.

Last edited by froh; 09-01-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Explained drawing colors
Old 09-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Twice the size--half the man

I'd be inclined to get one of those receiver hitch mount bases for that winch, and install a receiver hitch box on the front of that tractor.

I don't know about parts availability in Norway, but nearly every pickup here in the States has that style receiver on the rear end. You can pick them up cheap at the junk yards, trim them down to size, and weld them in. The winch mount isn't much more than a piece of 1/4" plate welded to a 2" solid bar.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Post Fiend

I'll second dub in the motion. The front receiver can also be handy for wagon and trailer parking in tight spots and makes the winch much more versatile.

And for what it is worth I would much rather have a winch on the rear. If you dive off in a soft spot most of the time the best recovery line is the way you came in, not the direction you are heading.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 09-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Lord of the Minions

Froh, I use the receiver type attachment for winches on all of my trailers, trucks and tractors, mounted on the front and rear areas in different places as space and best use allows. In fact doing so allows me to use the same winch on all needs.

I also have a like receiver winch setup on one of the little SA's, Intl's, front and rear.

Be advised that using this setup on the front of a smaller tractor like yours might just well exceed it's breaking point on a brush guard unless said brush guard is hard mounted to the tractors frame itself.

I have to be careful when using it on the front of the SA and in fact would not advise anyone else to do it as the brush guard is a lot stronger that the way/how it is mounted to the front axle tube. Easy to exceed the tractors ability due to how the front axle tube is mounted to it's swing mount.

Now, from the rear, with the tractors brakes I can pull the tractor backwards with the rear brakes locked, without the use of rear tire slide arrestors to block the tires at the rear. Using them will put the front of the tractor way past safety's sake in the air.

In addition, the winches I do have all have quick attach plugs and I use quick attach recepticals on suitable places whether it be tractor, trailer or truck. I have one remote hand control with enough length that once it's plugged into the power receptical of the winch, I can do a lot of walking which allows me to be close too or far away from the working end of the winch cable.

The trucks, tractors etc each have their own easy accesible power plugin box in a suitable location for ease of access when it's needed.

Overkill? Not a bit as I'm getting older and like to spend as little time as necessary to get any job or task done.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 09-02-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Lord of the Minions

BTW, I mounted a winch with the receiver setup like we are speaking of on a 4840 JD back in the 80's using a Warn winch of well over common sense needs. Using double line I broke a 5/16" line twice, changed up to using 3/8" high end winch line and pulled to stall without doing any damage to the receiver setup.

This setup can be as stout as the platform mount can handle.

Be advised that I use my own makings for the box and insert made using heavy wall sq. tubing only. Winch mounting plates that are welded to the box inserts and are 1/2" thick to 3/4" thick depending on which winch is in use.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:19 PM

Default Hi, thanks for all the input!

Thanks for the answers!

I'm pretty sure I can get that mount in Norway. Cars and trailers are generally much smaller here, but the (by our standards) huge US trucks probably have them. But as the winch is 23Kg, I doubt that I'l be actively swapping it between vehicles, or carrying it by hand to the site where I'm stuck.

If this one can withstand 8000lbs, then my design is seriously overdimensioned.http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...Tite/6495.html The thought was that the winch would be protected against damage.

As for the placement, we have a Sandvik 3000 3-point winch for skidding timber.Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandvik-vinsj-3500,33203129_1.jpg
Views:	1755
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	95026 This one is meant as a backup and for times when the sandvik is not fitted, and i need the 3-point free for other implements. I saw a guy using a front mounted e-winch for lifting his snowplow, I'm tempted to try that too.

LW Hiway: What kind of plug do you use for connecting power to the winch?

I am certain that i won't overload the front axle, as it is really beefy, and friction between the tires and soil/grass is not that high, it'll just skid long before i break something. The tractor certainly does that with the Sandvik, unless i can get the pan dug into the ground. But if the front wheels are jammed against something this could get interesting/dangerous

If this ends up not working, I'll rework it as a 3point mounted implement.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Post Fiend

Here's a couple: http://www.realtruck.com/bulldog-win...kits/?mobile=1

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 09-03-2012, 04:33 AM
Director of Languages

Hi Froh,

Dunno if I'd rate the 35 front axle as particularly beefy, but I would agree that it's probably not a concern.

However I would be concerned with mounting it off that weight carrier/ brush guard.

From what I can see it's a pretty light yoke.

What you need to do is tie into the four bolts that attach the axle carrier to the front of the engine block, then come down and forward to get under the bonnet. I think there might also be bolt holes in the bottom of the axle carrier, tie into those too.

You need to overengineer this mount to get the stresses back to the engine block/front axle carrier mounting points.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
LW Hiway: What kind of plug do you use for connecting power to the winch?
The company and build info is on one of my computers either here at the apt or at the farm, or possibly on 1 of 5 exterior drives. It will take a bit of time to look at all 5 ext drives and all 7 computers. Forgot about the dozen or so thumb drives. But I do have it.

I do not know if your familiar with aircraft or boat "ship to shore" power cables, but thats what I use and have them matched to power needs + 80% more, just for shiz' and grizzles.

On the trucks etc I have the weather proof QD's much like you'd find for trailer electrics, but on the fronts through the grills and rears at the bumpers etc.

I also use this/these connections with Jumper Cables to help boost low batteries etc etc.

I have 4 sets of welding cable made jumper cables with only one end having hand clamps for the battery to be boosted and the other end affixed with the QD's to plug into either the front or rear of the trucks I drive.

I never have to open the hood to access my batteries to attach cables etc. Saves time, but can be seen as rather expensive for some. My reasoning is that my winch controls and winch power comes from these QD's and is quick as hell to hook up and be working etc etc.

I'll get the info for you later this evening.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:42 AM
Lord of the Minions

Thumbs up

Quote:
However I would be concerned with mounting it off that weight carrier/ brush guard.

From what I can see it's a pretty light yoke.

What you need to do is tie into the four bolts that attach the axle carrier to the front of the engine block, then come down and forward to get under the bonnet. I think there might also be bolt holes in the bottom of the axle carrier, tie into those too.
JB' thanks for jumping in with this info. I knew if anyone had the best guess of the tractors ability, you would.

FWIW, I agree.

Tags
bracket, sketchup, winch