Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Members Only > SFT Information

SFT Search:

Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Boiler God

I had a customer ask a similar question, if it was possible to do a particular job, my answer startled him, I said anything is possible, all it takes is time and money, how much time and money do you have. Surprisingly, I never got the job.

Sorry, I can't help you on the trailer question, not enough information (at least for me)
Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Post Fiend

I would imagine the trailer alone would be a load for a tundra.

You don't need to do a thing to the rear axle other than remove the driveshaft. It has oil, it was designed to go down the road......

If your worried about parasitic loss then chop the axles off and bolt the flanges back on.

The biggest issue I see with all of it is how the hell are you going to STOP? The neighbors trailer is mostly used behind 7 ton farm tractors, generally plenty of braking there.

The best setup would be an electric over hydraulic rig, which at the last time I priced a unit was about $750.

As to pricing a custom unit, unless you have built two or three you have no idea how long or what materials will be needed. Your fab guy prolly trying to cover his arse just a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 03-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNKDEPOT View Post
Hello looking for some information if it would be able to take this 2007 isuzu npr dump truck to cut off the front wheels and turn it into a dump trailer. will i need to remove the rear gears, will it flip over when go to dump has any one ever done this before? or should i just find a cheap cab and motor and part it back together? any information would be helpful.. you can see the picture here . and what it should cost to get it up and running thank you !

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...MPBODYJUNK.jpg
If you were pulling it with a tractor yes it is possible to build it into a dump trailer, but pulling it with your Toyota would not be wise. As mentioned before in this thread the axles would have to be moved to make it more stable, if you were going to do that it would be wise to swap out those axles for regular trailer axles with electric or hydraulic brakes.
Once you were done modifying the frame, axles, hydraulics and getting all the inspections done you would be looking at more than the price of a manufactured dump trailer.
Parts and materials will run into a couple thousand + labor to do the work.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 PM
7-26-1965 to 6-5-2022

I agree with Dan. Not wise. A few years ago, I ran into a deal on a 10k equipment trailer, so I got it. I pulled it with my 1/2 ton Chevy. That lasted a very short time. Behind the Chevy it somewhat had a mind of it's own. The good part was I had put 2 brake axles under it instead of the singe brake and single idler that it had. Then I ran into my x cab 3/4 ton diesel Chevy. What a difference. I would drag that thing anywhere. Still would be better with a dually. Personally I would pass on the dump trailer. I would first look at fixing what you have. If that won't do, look at swapping to another cab and chassis. then third look at a used dump trailer.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:12 PM
trust but verify

No way I'd pull a beast like that with a Tundra.

Your fabricator has questionable judgement if he's trying to sell you on that being at all practical. I'd walk away and not revisit the subject with him. You were wise to ask here!

A trailer is an answer to the question "what do you need to haul?".

An experienced person could put that dump box on an appropriate gooseneck trailer chassis, but there's no reason to pay someone to do that since it would destroy any potential savings and it's still too large for a Tundra.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Project Phoenix

for posterity:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DUMPBODYJUNK.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	88147  

Millermatic 200 w/ SKP-35 Spot Pulse Weld Panel, Tweco MIG-GUN #2, running ER70S-6 .035 wire on CO2, Spoolmatic 1 Spool Gun
Old 03-04-2012, 05:44 PM
trust but verify

That shouldn't be hard to sell if the rest of it is in good shape. You could check out used truck dealers, for example. A dump is worth more than a flatbed.

Tags
dump truck, fabrication