Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:

Old 04-02-2024, 06:14 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Hungry?
Yes, legs hang down and the centre 3" wide tube supports the chest and belly.
The neighbour just had to shoot a pregnant heifer for burger, it had a broken leg, it probably stepped in a gopher hole. I wish the enviro mentals that managed to get the gopher poison outlawed had been forced to kill and gut it. It took 12 years and they finally got the ban reversed, but the population explosion in the meantime will take many years to dwindle down.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it. Joe Concha
Old 04-02-2024, 09:19 PM

that looks like a pretty decent set up. Quick and easy to load, light enought to pop in quickly. the sideways probably really helps the cow keep sight of the calf, and she wont try to keep moving back to front which is very common with forward facing sled and box type carriers. If I was silly enough to still be calving cows, I would build very close to that design.
The system in the video is not anything friendly, loading the calf looks about impossible how do you lift a 120 plus pound calf high enough to clear that thing while the mother is trying to kill you, and hauling it backwards is just plain idiotic, real good way to break legs etc

Last edited by Grizz; 04-02-2024 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
that looks like a pretty decent set up. Quick and easy to load, light enough to pop in quickly. the sideways probably really helps the cow keep sight of the calf, and she wont try to keep moving back to front which is very common with forward facing sled and box type carriers. If I was silly enough to still be calving cows, I would build very close to that design.
The system in the video is not anything friendly, loading the calf looks about impossible how do you lift a 120 plus pound calf high enough to clear that thing while the mother is trying to kill you, and hauling it backwards is just plain idiotic, real good way to break legs etc
I could not have said it better, Grizz

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it. Joe Concha
Old 04-03-2024, 02:22 AM
Director of Languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Thankfully we are not in Europe. We are not concerned with jackets for our cows, as they were out in -49.9C for 3 days in January. We have a Dutch clown advocating for that here. This carrier is all about operator comfort, not cows. If you have to lift a fighting, kicking 150 lb calf high enough to drop it into a comfortable cradle, your back will call it quits very soon. This way you grab the tail and the neck and slide it in. They are not pets.
I thought the legs were going either side of the uprights, just realised they go down between the three rows of box. I thought you were lifting the calf in over them so having hoops would be way easier on both man and beast than the uprights. but you're not.

But some blue barrel on the sides and at the end of the white box section should still ease loading. a rounded ended panel on each side, cut from the circumference of the barrel so it will curve slightly away from the calf at the ends

having something like the blue barrel with the end folded down for the belly to slide up on rather than the end of a piece of box will again make it easier to load.

But also the navel is a key part of the newborn calf's immune system. maybe not their immune system, but a sensitive spot might be a better way of putting it? treating the navel a bit more gently will reduce risk of injury which can turn to infection which can impact performance and mortality. (a spray bottle of iodine to give a quick squirt between calves on the belly bar would go a long ways too.

What's easier on the beast it's generally easier on the man. They're not pets but generally if livestock can be handled in less stressful ways it's generally also less effort for the handler. when they're newborn calves that goes double or triple as they're so much more vulnerable to a scour developing into a cough, into pneumonia into deadstock.

The dutch like to invent all sort of complicated ways to do simple things. I wouldnt worry about them. If calves have a bit of shelter from the wind they'll do just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-03 085920.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	170515  

Last edited by JohnBoy; 04-03-2024 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:30 AM

Yes, the navel is a concern, but I am only the iron butcher, and if they want to put padding on it they can.
Blue barrels are a rare thing, only used for soap and black plastic ones for oil. I see the guy next door uses one for the bulls to play with, and some of those big exercise balls. They hammer them around instead of fighting with each other. Of course, the odd brawl breaks out anyway.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:38 AM
Director of Languages

Boys will be boys!
Old 04-19-2024, 09:04 AM

So John, Yesterday I had a chance to see the calf carrier in action. This was the previous one to the one I posted pictures of. He had followed my suggestion and bolted mud flaps to the inner rail to protect the calf's legs. He has widened the centre beam to 4 inch as he said the 2 inch was too narrow. The one I posted was 3 inch box, so my development was in the right direction.
He was ear tagging and giving it the shots and it's feet were 6 inches off the ground so it did absolutely nothing while he worked. Mother dear stood there and talked to her baby.