Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-17-2019, 12:08 PM
no bull it's huge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
SAE 30 (viscosity grade) you get partial credit for paying attention!
Damn I had typed that but for some reason it didn't feel right.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:31 PM
Elite Member

(non) update - haven't got past my post#15, life is apparently STILL "the shit that happens to you while you're busy making plans" - hope to get back into the "godzilla chronicles" today.

3 more gallons of Delo 30 showed up yesterday. Still have a couple oil filters on the shelf.

I'm definitely less of an "iggorant savage" on diesel, thanks to all who helped with that...

Main causes of my concerns are mentioned in post# 15 - partly blocked radiator, probably the cause of being a gallon low on coolant (first time ever) - excess smoke when pushed should improve after blowing out a few pounds of crud from air intake/filter.

fuel filter(s) IIRC, primary 25 micron, secondary 5 micron replaced maybe a couple hundred hours ago (normally 'zilla runs about 100 hours a year, unless it's in "campaign" mode.)

Exceptions were reshaping drive/park area around shop, and an 8-900 yard pushout shortly after I bought it. The pushout got me another acre of level area on my hill, and was done with the factory 3PH and 7' Gannon/hyd rippers on the back in place of the hoe.

These days, it's mostly my "I don' wanna lift that" and "power wheelbarrow" machine, lotta trees and a couple hedges that need trimming. Built a 6'x8'x2' deep "brush bucket" that attaches with hooks to two of the 7 hitch receivers I have welded onto the main bucket (about 20 seconds on or off) - when I get some time I'll try to do a thread on the whole "system" (for lack of a better word)

Bottom line (for now) is re-check coolant level, add fuel (perfect time for a shot of "kickapoo joy juice" AKA injector cleaner) (can ya tell I'm still a Lil Abner fan?)

I don't think (after all the EjumiKashun) that I need to worry about this anymore, other than keeping up with routine stuff.

Dr. Dean, engine is the Case 188 diesel (3.0 liter, by my calcs) - starts immediately when the temp's 40 or better (as long as some idjit didn't leave the fuel shutoff pulled out ) - once I get the second shop built on that above-mentioned flat area I'll need to get into torque converter stuff, but for now it still moves (me too, sorta...)

Again, thanks everybody; it's a perfect work day outside, light breeze/mostly overcast/68* - guess I better quit WASTING it... Steve